question about the return process

Hi, I have a quick question about the process for accepting a return from a buyer.

A little while ago i sold a buyer a seat belt buckle, he messaged me a few days after i had shipped it and asked if i would accept a refund as the issue he was having ended up not being related to the buckle. No problem, told him to send it back to me when he received it and i could process his refund as soon as it arrives. 

The buckle arrived today and i just realized the buyer never actually put in a return request thru eBay, just messaged me and shipped it back when he got it. Does the buyer have to request to return the item thru eBay (the "return this item" in the "more actions" drop down menu) before i give him a refund or can i just send him a refund thru PayPal and be done with it.

I've had a couple people message me after they bought the item and ask if they could cancel the order, but this is the first time I've actually sent an item out and had it returned so i just want to make sure I'm handling it correctly.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If it's gone this long without a Return being opened, I'd not bother asking the buyer to create one. Refund their money and instead put in a Cancel Order request citing the reason 'buyer changed mind' assuming you have evidence of that in ebay Messages. 

The end result is the same: the buyer gets their money back after you have your item back in hand and ebay refunds your Final Value Fees because it wasn't a sale in the end.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If it's gone this long without a Return being opened, I'd not bother asking the buyer to create one. Refund their money and instead put in a Cancel Order request citing the reason 'buyer changed mind' assuming you have evidence of that in ebay Messages. 

The end result is the same: the buyer gets their money back after you have your item back in hand and ebay refunds your Final Value Fees because it wasn't a sale in the end.  

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks for the reply, answers my question fully. Didn't even cross my mind to put a cancel order request.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply