rate calculator not showing US rates

kanuski
Community Member

I have a package that is 320g and is 11cm x 11cm x 11 cm. The Research rates calculator does  not show any shipping services available to the US because the package is too large. It calculates rates to Canada just fine. I listed another item that was a similar size and weight and it worked great. What gives?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I just tried the Research Rates and it shows all options to the USA and International but none could be checked off. If I try other countries than the USA I get the same default list of all shipping options.

It looks like it is broken. Not a surprise considering all of the issues with PayPal shipping.

I am using FireFox 20.0.1 under Windows XP SP3. I thought I would mention this in case it is a browser issue. I just did a clearing of my browser cache and cookies also.

Perhaps someone else can try the eBay Research Weights in the online Sell Your Item form to confirm. Please state your browser version also.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The research rates works properly for domestic Canada shipping.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The Research Rates also does not work when using Internet Explorer 8 under Windows XP SP3.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The Research Rates also does not work when using Internet Explorer 8 under Windows XP SP3.

I should also say it does not work for USA and International. Domestic Canada is okay.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I have a package that is 320g and is 11cm x 11cm x 11 cm.

The package isn't too large, it's too small. The minimum measurements for small packet & tracked packet U.S. and International are 14cm x 9cm x 1mm

USA Expedited minimum is 21cm x 14cm x 5mm

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

The minimum for expedited parcel in Canada is 10cm x 7cm x 1 mm

'pokes Poco'

😮

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

LOL. Silly me. The minimum, of course.

You would think that the shipping calculator would give an error message instead of all rates that cannot be checked off.

Very poor programming on shipping calculators.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

kanuski
Community Member

I am exceeding the minimum so I should be golden, right?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I am exceeding the minimum so I should be golden, right?

No. You have 11 x 11 x 11 cm.

The minimum dimensions are

Small Packet USA Air 14 x 9 x 0.1 cm

Tracked packet USA 14 x 9 x 0.1 cm

Expedited Parcel USA 21 x 14 x 0.5 cm

So you need the first 11 cm to be 14 cm. So get a slightly larger box to ship the item in.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Ever wondered what's behind these minima? The Canada Post customs declaration/shipping label must be contained within one surface of the packet, i.e. it must not overlap.

The CN 22 (for Small Packets) is 137 mm high and 90 mm wide.

The CN23 (for Expedited Parcel - USA) is 137 mm high and 204 mm wide.

Tom 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

The minimum dimensions for Small Packet existed before the current white CN22 form was introduced about 2-3 years ago. The size of the current CN22 form did not influence the minimum dimensions of Small Packet. On the contrary, the minimum dimensions of Small Packet influenced the size of the CN22 form when the CN22 form was redesigned 2-3 years ago..

The previous CN22 form was the small green one which was about 2 inches square or 5 x 5 cm. It was well under the minimum dimensions for Small Packet, Light Packet, Letterpost.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Ever wondered what's behind these minimums?

What irks me is that the minimum for expedited USA and Xpresspost USA is more than for the same services in Canada. That makes no sense. I've often had to send a larger package than needed and of course it cost more because of the dimensional pricing.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Poco,

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation but I doubt that the minimum size of the Small Packet influenced the size of the current CN22, which has always struck me as a poor design. The space for the contents, 7 cm x 2.7 cm, is larger than that for the address. That makes no sense to me.

Tom

Message 14 of 14
latest reply