received broken item from USA now what ?

I'm not new to ebay but I'm not sure what to do. I bought a used item from the USA through the Global Shipping program. I received it today and one of the parts is broken rendering the item semi useless unless I repair the item myself (might be possible but not easy) or replace the item. Should I just return it for a refund or can I suggest to the seller a compromise/partial refund so I can replace the broken part with said refund ? The part itself is worth about half the total purchase price. So far I have only contacted the seller to mention the issue and sent a photo. I'd rather not deal with the hassle of repacking and returning the whole thing but perhaps it's the only option.

On a side note, I'm not surprised that one of the parts broke. The packing was not what I would consider adequate for an electronic device.

Item number is : 15231257326

Thank you.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't open a claim with the seller.  Open a claim with PayPal and you will get the full refund by PayPal. 

If you get a refund from the seller, it won't be a full refund.  That is how it works with Global Shipping Program (GSP).

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't find this item # as it is 11 numbers.

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

Open a claim for Item Not As Described by ebay via the Resolution Centre. (You might need to create a Return request to do it.) But Cite Item Not as Described (arrived damaged) in your reasons.

Don't use paypal or you'll be forced to pay Return shipping to the sender to get your money back. When opening the case, indicate the item was shipped via the Global Shipping Program and got wrecked due to 'bad packing'. This should speed your case resolution. 

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

Thanks mjwl2006.

What a hassle though.

Either the seller refunds me the value of the part (a brand new one) or I'll return it.

Item number 152312157326

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

Absolutely. Anytime something arrives damaged or is simply not what the buyer ordered, it creates loads of extra work and effort for the buyer. It's entirely possible this has nothing, however, to do with the seller and everything to do with the GSP hub in Kentucky. Was there a sticker on your box stating it had been opened there? If so, that may be worth mentioning in your case report.
Message 6 of 60
latest reply

With a GSP item claim citing damage in transit there is no need to return anything, you can keep the defective item and get a 100% refund, so you should come out a little ahead.

Do not expect the seller to do anything, there is  nothing they can or should do. The GSP policy with damaged items is to simply pay up. No one checks, and nothing is returned.

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

Don't use paypal or you'll be forced to pay Return shipping to the sender to get your money back. When opening the case, indicate the item was shipped via the Global Shipping Program and got wrecked due to 'bad packing'. This should speed your case resolution. 

GSP damage cases do not require a return of the item, so either Ebay or PP claim will do. The important thing is to note, as above, that it was a GSP item damaged in transit.

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

Thank you for the clarification, I didn't know that piece of important and useful information.
Message 9 of 60
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

GSP damage cases do not require a return of the item, so either Ebay or PP claim will do. The important thing is to note, as above, that it was a GSP item damaged in transit.

af, What if the seller wants you to return the item?

Are you sure that if it appears as if an item has been damaged during transit that no return is required for INAD cases when shipped via the GSP?  

If so, would you please share your source for that information.

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

OK thanks. Where do I start the GSP claim ? Through paypal or ebay ?  I gather it would be through ebay but where is the option to do that ? How long can it take to get my money back in this way ?

The seller seems to be somewhat uncooperative so I'm kind of left on my own with this.

In any case thanks to all.

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

No sticker on the box stating that it was opened.

I thought that all shipments going through the GSP were opened and checked for proper packing to be able to cross borders safely.

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

All shipments are inspected for proper paperwork and, if necessary, repacked to save postage costs.
Message 13 of 60
latest reply

@redqube wrote:

Where do I start the GSP claim ? Through paypal or ebay ?  I gather it would be through ebay but where is the option to do that ? How long can it take to get my money back in this way ?

Start with eBay, use the RESOLUTION CENTER link at the bottom of the page here.  Its in about  the middle.  Like others have said, state in the claim that it was a GSP item which was damaged in transit due to poor packaging.  A refund should not take long, a few days at most.  Any more problems or questions just come back and ask.  Lots of other users here to help you sort it out. 

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

What if the seller wants you to return the item?

The seller has been paid and gets to keep the money from the sale, so he/she has no claims whatsoever to the item and cannot ask for its return. Any such request should be ignored since the buyer's refund will not come from the seller.

If the buyer feels uncomfortable keeping an item for which a refund has been received, the item can be donated to a local charity.

Message 15 of 60
latest reply

It should be noted for the record that Global Shipping Program cases in the Resolution Centre for Items Not As Described due to damage in shipment/transit are THE exception to the rule.
Message 16 of 60
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

What if the seller wants you to return the item?

The seller has been paid and gets to keep the money from the sale, so he/she has no claims whatsoever to the item and cannot ask for its return. Any such request should be ignored since the buyer's refund will not come from the seller.

If the buyer feels uncomfortable keeping an item for which a refund has been received, the item can be donated to a local charity.

So, you're saying that P.B. takes responsibility when GSP items get damaged during transit and refunds the buyer and that seller is protected from such claims?

Is that right?

I didn't know that.

Are you sure about that, and if so why?  

I've returned damaged GSP items where sellers claimed they were not a fault, so how exactly does that work?

Message 17 of 60
latest reply

I had an item damaged in transit due to poor repacking at the UK hub. I opened my case. The seller told me to escalate it so that HE would not be held responsible for fixing it. This forces eBay to fix the problem. And by eBay I mean the Global Shipping Program.
Message 18 of 60
latest reply

I should also note that in my case, the seller was also working with ebay Customer Service on his end to provide me with the proper advice to follow. I was concerned that escalating my case would get the seller into trouble when it was clearly a GSP problem (there was a sticker placed on the outside of the box indicated the contents had been adjusted by the GSP) so when my item arrived damaged, it was clear what party should face the blame for that. In fact, I communicated with the seller that I was concerned about escalating the SNAD case and it was he who insisted I do so. 

In the end, I got my money back (refunded by ebay) and kept the damaged item of which I was able to salvage the unbroken parts. The seller did not have to pay my refund and was not punished with a defect. 

If it's really not the seller's fault the item arrived damaged, the seller doesn't get punished for it with the Global Shipping Program, provided they know how to navigate the system correctly, to their advantage.

I tried to leave positive feedback for the seller since he had done an excellent job assisting me through the return but it was removed, as per policy. I guess the expectation would be that I would leave a negative but I had nothing bad to say about him, only good. Despite what happened to my item. 

Message 19 of 60
latest reply

I'd actually feel uncomfortable donating the item since it can't be used in its present state !

It needs 2 undamaged parts to work. One of the parts is broken. I need that part to make it functional and that part is expensive.

Anyway, I'm going to the resolution centre to clear things up. Thanks all.

Message 20 of 60
latest reply