sales tax - can a USA seller charge sales tax to Canadians?

I was just about to buy a laptop battery from the USA.  Upon checkout, there was a 13% Ontario Tax (HST) on the invoice.

Why am I paying Canadian Taxes to a USA seller?  Expecially when I'll probably have to pay duties on top of that??

Is that ethical?  how can I report it?

New Battery For HP Pavilion TX2-1270US tx2-1025dx

Price 

US $19.98 (Approximately C $20.68)

13.000% ON Sales Tax

To Canada -- US $14.99 -- Expedited Int'l ShippingAdditional services available.
International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. help icon for Shipping - opens a layer

PayPal
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It could also be that the seller has warehouses in both the USA (WA) and Canada (BC) and ships Canadian orders from his BC warehouse.  He is a very large seller and I suspect is properly registered with GST/HST.

His GST/HSR registration number should appear on the invoice coming with the goods.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If the seller has a Canadian office he is obligated to charge the HST.

You shouldn't be double taxed when it clears customs.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Some US sellers are registered with GST/HST allowing them to collect and remit GST/HST - speeding up the delivery process as the parcel does not have to be held at Canada Customs for clearance.

Is this the case of this specific seller?

Or is it an item sold under the GSP program where taxes are collected by Pitney Bowes who remit them to the government?

What is the listing number?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It could also be that the seller has warehouses in both the USA (WA) and Canada (BC) and ships Canadian orders from his BC warehouse.  He is a very large seller and I suspect is properly registered with GST/HST.

His GST/HSR registration number should appear on the invoice coming with the goods.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

listing number 380376856677

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If you try buying the item on eBay.com, do you still see the 13% HST for ON ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Battery-HP-Pavilion-TX2-1270US-tx2-1025dx-/380376856677

I suggest you contact the seller to clear out the issue.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply