seller will not send new invoice with shipping

Hello,

monday I won an auction at a ridiculous price.

Before I bid I asked for the shipping cost. We had several messages The seller is in Tx, US and I am in Canada. Seller (in the add) says ships worldwide. He told me "Cannot ship using postal office directly from me, but you can use eBay global shipping program".  OK, It's fine with me. I found a seller in the same town, for the same item with the global shipping program, it is $16.24 USD. I send him the information and the link to the other item.

When I bid, the shipping price was finally $69.99 USD UPS ground. When I won the shipping price disappeared. I went to "pay now" but I get an error message that the seller didn't put a shipping price. So I requested a new invoice.

I got this answer: "I asked the postal office, they didn't accept the bulky item, said over the limit to international shipping". I said Ok use the global shipping program, and I explaned that when I put my bid there was a $69.99 UPS ground. They didn't answer this message. 

What I don't understand is that when ebay send me a reminder to pay, the $69.99 for shipping is there, but when I go to pay, it isn't.

It feels like the seller don't want to send it to me because the price is not at their liking. I attached a picture that shows the shipping price.

What can I do? 

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello 'nordica', 

<< For the seller I did business with it was an auction. . . . The shipping cost ($69.99 UPS ground) that was on the ad

when I bid, is not there when I go to checkout.>>

I have looked over these listings very carefully, and near as I can see, the auction you won was a US-only auction.

To begin with, the screen shot you show us in your first post clearly illustrates that this was not on ebay Canada.

If it were, there would be the Cdn$$ equivalent visible, as we see on all US-dollar listings on ebay.ca.  

The item description for the auction you won looks almost identical to another seller who you say ships items via the GSP,

as if it could be the same seller.

I see all these items have apparent differences that could explain price difference, such as construction.  The SKB case 

seems to be a heavy construction, perhaps better made than the cheap $150 ones, but it does not mention wheels.

The case you won says it has some 'cosmetic issues', -- but it does not say what these are, nor does the listing say it has

working wheels.  The bowspeak model looks the same but clearly states it has wheels.  Have you thought about that?  

Although $400 seems a lot just for wheels. . . .

The bellafina case has wheels, but is described as "great value" and that's a phrase that always makes me nervous.

It seems a basic, lightweight case but if this is to travel with your own instrument, -- are you sure you want to scrimp on

a container for it?

At this point, as so many others have stated, you are not going to get this item at this price.  Whether you bought 

from the American site by mistake, or the seller hastily removed the international shipping option after you won, 

none of us here can know.  

There is another Fiberglass Suspension Cello Case - Red, 4/4  available at a laughably low start bid, 99 cents, and 

in the listing the seller (also from Texas) states 'no international shipping', yet it is available on ebay Canada because 

it claims to come via the GSP.

With only 1 bid at 99 cents, I see $82.71 for a GSP fee, yet on the US ebay the item has $69.99 "standard shipping"

aka, UPS.  This is a seller who is opted into the GSP automatically and obviously against his own wishes but does not

know how to extricate himself from it. 

So if you were to try to nab this one, the thing to do is wait until the last few seconds of the auction.  'Sniping' is best 

done from a real computer and not a phone.  You can have 2 windows open to facilitate the process.

You enter your bid, click once, but then wait.  You count down to the last 6 or 8 seconds and then Confirm

If there is a higher bid you lose, but if you win, you immediately click Pay Now and follow through with payment.

But as 'pjcdn' says, you can't force a seller to ship if the item price is too low,  - and this is important -  if there is

insufficient shipping costs included, the GSP might not ship it.  It has in the past declined to forward items on to the

Canadian buyer.  

<<The error message says that the seller didn't include shipping costs and to ask for the total, wich I did multiple times.>>

That message comes up anyway even when someone buys an item for which the seller has stated he does not ship 

to the buyer's country and (or) has included no shipping fee.

It does not mean you will eventually get the item.  

If this is for your own instrument, -- wouldn't it be worth it to buy the best quality, best made item you can at a reasonable 

price?  Even if you got this $4.25 one, -- what if there is something so wrong with it that it does not suit your needs?

What then?

A few years ago I bought a violin case, -- a Deluxe model.  There were loads of cheap ones, but they were not good 

enough for my baby.  I chose the best one I could get at the time without paying extra for silly things like the colour pink.

This was before the GSP existed on ebay, so I had to pay Priority due to the size.  

If you can find a good quality cello case at a price you are willing to afford, and have it come by courier, that will 

likely be your best option, in my opinion.  You will have to pay import charges, but you are guaranteed to get your item 

quickly, and you don't have to do this every week.  

Have a look at the "oversize" restrictions on items coming through the GSP.  How big is the packed cello case?

Will it fit?

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html#oversized

I am wondering if the reason the GSP shipping seems so low is because it is not on the allowables list once the seller 

enters the dimensions, yet the listing still appears as available to Canadians through the program anyway.  

You will have to make up your own mind about what you want to do, but gather all the information you can so you 

are able to make the best and most informed decision, giving consideration to any and all possible consequences. 

It is you who will have to live with the results of your own actions. 

Best of luck Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 42 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

xeposter
Community Member

Wow, that price really is ridiculous. The same one is selling form more than $50 CAD.

The seller may be angry it sold so low, and thus does not want to send an invoice.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 43
latest reply

I guess that much, but if a seller wants a minimum price, they can put a reserve price. Is there anything I can do? 

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

@nordica30 wrote:

I guess that much, but if a seller wants a minimum price, they can put a reserve price. Is there anything I can do? 

If the seller sets a reserve, it charges him/her a fee of the selling price. That is why most sellers don't use it.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 4 of 43
latest reply

This may be a legit issue that has nothing to do with the price it sold for. If the seller is enrolled on his end in the Global Shipping program, he has only to ship it to the GSP hub in the USA and they forward it. But cellos are huge and it may very well be impossible for this to ship via Global Shipping without it being freight or something. Your seller may have been caught in the middle. I understand you want to pay and ebay checkout doesn't allow you to do so? Can you instead have it shipped to an American address and then get it yourself to bring across the border in your automobile? 

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Wait...

I found this ended listing. It says the seller does not ship to Canada. How was it that you saw a shipping cost displayed on the item page when you bid? The seller does not appear to be enrolled in the Global Shipping Program so I'm not sure the reason he would have mentioned it to you at all. Can you elaborate? 

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

I see the ended listing, but do not see that the seller does not ship to Canada.  It says worldwide, but shipping costs are not set up except for USA.  The shipping cost and service the OP quoted are those for delivery within USA. 

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Right. And it makes little sense since we all know First Class does come with International Tracking to at least some countries and would NOT be an inappropriate method for this item and its size regardless. 

no tracking number through USPS First-Class Mail International, 

Please Contact Me when you need tracking number or other shipping methods. Buyer responsible for customs duties if have

I think there was a gross misunderstanding between the seller and the buyer. This won't work for them. 

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Hello,

The add says ships worldwide. I took a picture. If it says otherwise, it means that the seller changed it after the sale. When Ebay sent me the reminder to pay, it said  shipping $69.99 UPS. See picture attache

I just checked I still see worldwide and $69.99 shipping.

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

You have to be logged into see the postage price appropriate to your location. On a desktop. There are issues with the mobile version displaying the wrong costs. 

If you are in Canada, it does not provide a cost. The seller has his item set to Worldwide but no shipping option selected nor price established for it.

Honestly, I think it is too big for him to ship via USPS. That's the reason he was probably trying to tell you to look at another listing from a different seller who uses Global Shipping. Maybe Pitney Bowes has other methods at their disposal. 

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

Sorry the email is in french but "monde entier" means worldwide. The email says clearly UPS ground. They do deliver big parcels in Canada.

The seller has a good rep. I don't understand. And I really want my cello case. I never thought I would get it at this price, but I did.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

Except I don't think he can ship it to you outside freight.
Message 12 of 43
latest reply

A cello case like that is too large to ship by postal services.  It would have to be by courier.  And it would cost you a lot more than $69.99 USD.  Enrolling in the the GSP would not have been a solution, since the seller still would have had to ship the case to Kentucky, and still couldn't use the postal service.  So UPS ground within USA, and UPS to Canada - to say nothing of the customs brokerage, taxes and possibly duty, since most of these are made in China.  Also, he could not enroll after the listing ended and then use it for that listing.  I cannot find any sellers who could ship a hard cello case for $16.24 USD.

I don't think this is a case of the seller not wanting to honor the selling price.  I think s/he did not realize how much it would cost to ship to Canada, did not have the shipping set up correctly, and it looks as though this was the first cello case s/he had listed.  They are a lot bigger than violin cases!

There is a reason why these cases start at $600 and go up  - way up,  Sometimes what seems too good to be true is just that.

Unless you would like to pay courier fees for shipping direct from the seller to you, and are prepared to pay a lot more at the door for taxes, duties, and customs brokerage, you should probably let this go and ask the seller to cancel the sale.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

Yes. The seller will be penalized by eBay for cancelling the sale. He did not have shipping set up properly to Canada and that is a red flag that he or she simply did not know what he was dealing with.

Or you can wait for him to send you an invoice for UPS Global Services and see what it says. You might want to do some of the leg work there to get an estimate ahead of time so the end total doesn't give you a shock.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

Hello,

the seller that has shipping to Canada at  $16.24 is bowspeak. Same city, same cello case. See the picture attached. 

The item # is 321850900690

Message 15 of 43
latest reply

That's not the cost of postage. They've made an error unless they're rolling 90 per cent of the postage cost into the purchase price. 

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

There is this other seller that ships to Canada for $14.95 The cello case is the same size. See picture attached.

The item number is # 262364714569

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

And this other seller, shipping to Canada at $14.41. Same size cello case.

Item # 401069046685

See picture attached.

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

I can see that I won't change your mind. That's fine. But if you are satisfied with the postage outlined in these listings, you might buy them instead. 

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

What site are you signed in on, that you are seeing $39.82USD?  I see $74.49 USD in import charges.

Message 20 of 43
latest reply