size difference between slots on red "street" boxes vs the Canada post store lettermail slot?

Hi,

new seller here from Toronto,

I used my neighborhood big red Canada post street box to test if some packages would go through and it worked. Later, when I tested at a Shopper's drug mart postal office letter-mail slot i found it was too narrow for the same stuff

Are the slots at the postal offices smaller than the street boxes? also, will Canada post ever send back letter-mail because it's too thick, or is getting it in a box the only thing that matters?

I don't want to use the street box if I'll end up getting items back,

thanks for any advice you can offer

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

size difference between slots on red "street" boxes vs the Canada post store lettermail slot?

They all get dumped into the same bin at the end of the day. No matter which one you put it in, it'll end up at the same place.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Sometime they return packages if it's bigger (or heavier) than it should be, asking for extra postage.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I used my neighborhood big red Canada post street box to test if some packages would go through and it worked. Later, when I tested at a Shopper's drug mart postal office letter-mail slot i found it was too narrow for the same stuff

Use the street box. If it goes in, it will pass. Or make your own 'slot' card and check before you leave the house.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Should have mentioned.

The reason for the 2cm maximum on letter rates is that the machinery that handles them will eat a package that is too big. This is more important than the occasional mistaked return for thickness.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply