transaction cancellation refused due to high shipping cost

akball2
Community Member
I have won an auction on an item that was in the Worldwide listing, stated as being in Switzerland, but actually located in Italy. The item was available to Canada, but the shipping cost was not listed.

The Item is first listed on April 13 with a minimum bid of C$194. It is priced too high for me. Item does not sell on April 22.

The Item is relisted ending May 3 with a minimum bid of C$179. I ask for an estimate on shipping on May 1 and was quoted C$27. I do not place a bid because the total plus shipping exceeds my limit. Item does not sell.

The Item is relisted ending on May 11 with a minimum bid of C$149. I place a bid but the seller cancels my bid and withdraws the item before the 12 hr cancellation deadline. There is no explanation.

The Item is relisted ending on May 21 with a minimum bid of C$134. I place a minimum bid after the 12 hr cancellation deadline so that it can’t be cancelled. Seconds before the end of the auction I place a maximum bid but there are no other bidders and the item sells for the minimum bid of C$134. I immediately try to pay by PayPal but I am prevented from completing payment because the seller needs to invoice for shipping. I request an invoice, reminding the seller of the previous estimate of C$27. I do not hear back, so I send a second request including an Italian translation. On May 22 I receive an invoice that includes the selling price and a C$67 shipping price.

I question the increase in shipping from C$27 to C$67. In a series of emails I am told that the original quote of C$27 was for shipping and that the remainder was for an Italian Export Tax. I cannot find any evidence of such a tax on the internet, or on ebay. I explain that I will be paying an import tax when it arrives in Canada. There is a comment that the new value of the item is worth much more and that the item is in near new condition. It is stated that the C$27 shipping quote was for the previous auction which is now invalid, and that the shipping quote for this auction is C$67. I begin to get the sense that the seller is trying to maximize the profit by artificially increasing the shipping cost. I am asked to communicate and negotiate outside of ebay, which I refuse. I finally request a cancellation of the transaction but the seller refuses, stating that the listing has resulted in expenses. I request an explanation of expenses because a cancellation does not incur expenses. 

What should I do? The dispute resolution process seems to focus on the seller obtaining the money without the ability of the buyer to explain the reasons for not paying.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

As far as I know you don't actually have to buy it. You could not pay, wait for an unpaid claim and then if you don't pay after that the seller cancels the sale. I think that means you have an unpaid strike on your acct though.

You could call eBay and see what they suggest...or pay for the item (if you really want it) and when you leave feedback explain what happened and then report the seller for unfair shipping costs.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

There is no Italian export tax. This is, as you suspect, nonsense.

If you do not pay for the item, and it is your first unpaid iem, Customer Service will  remove any unpaid item strike if you phone and explain.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I had a similar experience where I won a bid on an autographed Obama book for $36, when similar items were going for around $800.
A few hours before closing the seller cancelled the order and then relisted it with a reserve of $650.

I wrote to him and pointed out that this was fraud.

I contacted Ebay who did nothing about it.

It seems that Ebay protects sellers and don't care about buyers. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

It wasn't fraud.

You only made a (very low) bid on an item from a naive seller.

When he smartened up, he ended the sale of his item. Which belonged to him. Which he had every right to do.

We've been through this before.

You are wrong.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The seller has been on eBay for 12 years, mostly as a buyer.

I suggest you do not pay and refuse the cancellation if the seller asks you to cancel the transaction through eBay.

His experience in the last year as a seller is spotty with relatively low DSRs:

Item as describedStarStarStarStarStar20
CommunicationStarStarStarStarStar20
Shipping timeStarStarStarStarStar20
Shipping and handling chargesStarStarStarStarStar19
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

If the seller asked that you complete the transaction outside of eBay, you can report the seller.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply