under shipment tab, the seller charges salestaxs for Ontario only, should he charge buyer from QC?

Im from Montreal QC and  won a laptop in auction

the seller is from ontario and under his shipment and payment tab, Ive  read carefully from the start, that he charges salestax for items shipped to "ontario" only »»» which means that the seller collects sales tax only for his location "Ontario"

So when I wanted to proceed to payment salestax showed up in the invoice. should I pay the salestax though my province was not included in the description ?   how can I avoid that payment of salestax?

thanks in advance

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

under shipment tab, the seller charges salestaxs for Ontario only, should he charge buyer from QC?

A seller can only charge sales tax if he is registered to collect sales tax.

Your seller's invoice should have his sales tax number on it.

There are two taxes in question.

Ontario's HST which is made up of GST (federal) and PST (provincial).

He should not be charging Ontario sales taxes to a Quebec resident.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Ask the seller for a new invoice.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

the invoice does not show sales tax number and now he has opened a case against me for non payment. It is so clear that he wants to put salestax in his pocket
I dont know how Ebay protects the buyers. How can I report that to Ebay
thank you so much for your answer
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

the invoice does not show sales tax number and now he has opened a case against me for non payment.

State in your Reply to the Dispute that the seller has raised the price/shipping cost after the auction by adding provincial Sales Tax from a province you do not reside in.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply