well packed item,damaged on shipping?

I shipped an item,fixture,no glass involved.Reinforced box,sockets all individully bubblewrapped.I took photos of packing.Buyer informed me that 1 plastic part of one socket got broken.

I had some problem with this buyer whom asked me to ship 12 glass balls,aprox.6"diam.which were shown but not included in the auction.

He claimed this damage happened inside the box,in my opinion almost impossible.

I agreed to have the fixture returned,item 261211696829,for refund.According to other similar cases and as stated in the auction,buyer would pay for shipping.

He sent it C.O.D.  the most expensive way Xpresspost.

Any suggestions,before I pick-it up?

Alex

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Did you say you would pay for shipping? If not, don't pick it up and ask the clerk to hold it while you deal with the buyer. Normally, Post Offices hold items for 10-14 days unless the reciever asks for that time to be extended.

If you state in your listings that you accept returns, you would have to refund his money. BUT, you do not have to pay return shipping (unless you state in your listing that you do).  I see that in your listing it says Return Shipping to be covered by buyer. Did the buyer message you before returning the item? Was the buyer informed that he/she needed to pay return shipping?

Since the buyer sent the item COD, the only way to get rid of this COD would be returning the item back to the buyer and for them to ship it again. Yes, I know that sounds dumb, but that's the only way to get rid of the COD once it was shipped. When the item is returned, the buyer may have to pay return parcel charges, and then pay to ship it again without the COD. Honestly, I don't think any buyer would be willing to do that.

I stronly believe that in this case the buyer is in the wrong, and you shouldn't have to pay return shipping unless you say you do... But in this case, you have two options (in my mind):

1. Chalk this up as a loss, and a lesson in business. Explictly state in all messages regarding any type of return, return shipping is to be paid by the buyer. Keep in mind that a neutral/negative feedback may still be left. While unwarranted, it is the buyer's choice.

2. Since the item is already broken and you can't resell it at all, why pick it up? Refuse it and let the parcel go back to the buyer. This option would save you money, but you have a higher chance of receiving a neutral/negative feedback.

Keep in mind that with either of my options, you would have to refund the cost of the item.

Hope that helped, let us know what the resolution is.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Did you say you would pay for shipping? If not, don't pick it up and ask the clerk to hold it while you deal with the buyer. Normally, Post Offices hold items for 10-14 days unless the reciever asks for that time to be extended.

If you state in your listings that you accept returns, you would have to refund his money. BUT, you do not have to pay return shipping (unless you state in your listing that you do).  I see that in your listing it says Return Shipping to be covered by buyer. Did the buyer message you before returning the item? Was the buyer informed that he/she needed to pay return shipping?

Since the buyer sent the item COD, the only way to get rid of this COD would be returning the item back to the buyer and for them to ship it again. Yes, I know that sounds dumb, but that's the only way to get rid of the COD once it was shipped. When the item is returned, the buyer may have to pay return parcel charges, and then pay to ship it again without the COD. Honestly, I don't think any buyer would be willing to do that.

I stronly believe that in this case the buyer is in the wrong, and you shouldn't have to pay return shipping unless you say you do... But in this case, you have two options (in my mind):

1. Chalk this up as a loss, and a lesson in business. Explictly state in all messages regarding any type of return, return shipping is to be paid by the buyer. Keep in mind that a neutral/negative feedback may still be left. While unwarranted, it is the buyer's choice.

2. Since the item is already broken and you can't resell it at all, why pick it up? Refuse it and let the parcel go back to the buyer. This option would save you money, but you have a higher chance of receiving a neutral/negative feedback.

Keep in mind that with either of my options, you would have to refund the cost of the item.

Hope that helped, let us know what the resolution is.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Forgot to mention, Canada Post insurance does not cover Glass and/or Ceramics.

I've heard stories of people calling CP and causing a fuss and eventually getting a refund for broken glass, but it would take some extra prodding and not guaranteed.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for very iformative reply..
In my auctions it states clearly,buyer pays return shipping.I didn't ask again,as the buyer did not question it.
Furthermore the buyer never suggested that the packing was inadequate or faulty in any way.
Sure,I will refund the item price,my problem is the return shipping cost.Alex
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I would call Ebay to discuss this case and certainly before you refund any money. I am also wondering whether you can deduct the return shipping cost from the refund? That would sound reasonable to me. Now, most likely you'll be in for a negative feedback, but then I suspect regardless what you do, you will not escape that one. I wish you all the best and Good luck.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply