what do I do about catching a cheater unintentionally?

I was browsing an item that was advertised specifically as the thing I was looking for in the 'store' part of a sellers items instead of 'see other items' when I found to my shock and horror that someone would actually do that!

I hesitate at this point to rat this seller out. I have not made contact with them and am in no way acting in a Munchkin House Syndrome way.  Or Stockholm Syndrome I meant to say. Just to try to give an accurate picture of what I found to those of you who can offer a suggestion of how I ought to proceed.

I am well versed in this topic in question and was able to tell even before I found the fine print that this seller was misrepresenting.  The item's starting bid price was inconsistent with what a real one would start at and the description was embellished in such a way, a new buyer might readily jump at the opportunity. 

The seller's site is beautifully organized and they have an impeccable record. But the fact that I know what I know would make me sick if someone not experienced as I am would fall for such a dirty trick. I've seen many before in my 3 yrs of ebaying. The wording is shrewdly couched in the description and entitled category to add insult to potential injury!  In case I misused a word I will try to clarify. The seller's  list of items are vastly different from other types of items and this one was at the top and was marked in the way an honest seller would mark. I am happy to say that I've seen MANY honest sellers of this type of item and have bought from them and have been VERY happy.

This false listing appears as true while another category of a similar thing divulges all truth that said item is not what it appears to the naked eye. Oh hell, at this point I will just say the word gold!  For 3 yrs I've been seeing items marked correctly and incorrectly. One nationality in particular is responsible for the glaringly obvious ones. The seller I am referring to does not fall into this group I don't think. I've found real precious metals sold for way under their value just because the seller wanted rid of them or didn't know. I have even contacted sellers to let them know their listing should be higher or what it really is if I suspect they don't know the value of what they're selling.  Sorry to be so long winded but I'm weird this way....mind you I was a reporter for several years and am used to protecting sources even if they're up to no good. It's the way journalism goes and after so many years, well....

BOTTOM LINE is I would hate to find out someone had purchased said item had I remained quiet about this nagging moral question.

Thanks,

Teri

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Way too many big words for me but I do like your choice of font.

I would repost on the USA Soapbox Discussion board it gets a lot more traffic than this little corner of the Canadian site does.

Click Here to visit the Soapbox

http://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Soapbox/bd-p/2124

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Off Topic

But if an item is located in Scarborough Ontario Canada

Why would you only ship to the United States and not to Canada ???

scarou.jpg

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Journalist? Really?

Who /where/ what/ when/ why/ how? The basic questions any journalist should put and answer in her story.

Some of those questions cannot be directly answered here because we are not allowed to 'name and shame' other members, however we can give listing numbers so other members can see for themselves what the problem is.

Or is not.

I think you are saying that a seller is offering an item that he represents as being gold, but which you suspect is not gold because the price is too low even though he is not Chinese. Further, some of the wording he uses is inconsistent with the item being gold.

You have two choices if you decide to take further action.

Give the listing number and let the community give their own opinions.

Report the item. Every listing has a Report button. Be aware that eBay will not advise you of any action they may or may not take.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply