why are custom services as high as 50%....can someone justify this. I have to stop buying from selle

can someone justify this. I have to stop buying from sellers using this expensive service. Also shipping takes twice as long with this service.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

why are custom services as high as 50%....can someone justify this. I have to stop buying from selle

Could you please provide a specific example.  Listing number would help understand the problem.

Now, if you were to import a $25 item from the USA and Canada Customs decided to charge you 13% HST (may vary depending on your province), you would end up paying $3.25 in taxes plus $9.95 service charge to Canada Post for a total of $13.20 or 52.8%.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

item was 33$ and paid 15.30 in custom services plus shippng of $5.80.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

$5.80 took the item from the seller to Kentucky.

The $33 US item would be $36.30 or so Canadian.

You are in Quebec? http://helpsme.com/tools/free-gst-hst-pst-sales-tax-calculator-canada

$4.99 would be QC sales tax.

About $5 would be the PitneyBowes service charge.

The rest would be Canadian duty on the $36.30 item since the seller did not specify that it was manufactured in a NAFTA country.

It's worth noting that while eBay does not encourage US sellers to use the Global Shipping Program for items selling under $50 USD, they do nothing to discourage them either.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

arlene_v
Community Member

Here is a snapshot of the original listing showing the amounts paid.

korspurse.jpg

According to this you paid USD11.41  in import charges, and $15.49 in shipping. 

I'm wondering if this purse will be confiscated by Pitney Bowes because of the alleged "snake skin"? The seller lists the material as snake skin ....

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@chatho506 wrote:

item was 33$ and paid 15.30 in custom services plus shippng of $5.80.

Your figures don't seem quite right. The url that you gave shows $5.80 shipping within the U.S. so the seller would have received $33 for the item + 5.80 shipping from their location to the gsp center in Kentucky.

You would have also paid PB for shipping from Kentucky to your location so the total in shipping would have more than $5.80. Your info should show 2 payments..one to the seller and one to PB.

The payment to PB would include international shipping as well as a service charge, tax and duty if applicable.

In Alberta, I would have paid $33 + $15.49 total shipping + 8.54 import fees = 57.03 If you are in a non hst province, you would probably have paid about the same.

$33 + 5.80 would have gone to the seller.

The remaining $18.23 would go to PB -- $9.69 of that would be for the international shipping portion and $8.54 in import fees

The $8.54 import fees would probably be made up of about 8% just guessing) duty and 5% gst and a service/brokerage charge

$33 x 8% = $2.64

$35.64 x 5% = $1.78

$4.12 PB service charge

Total import fees - $8.54

Breakdown of total

$33 - item

$5.80 - domestic shipping portion

$9.69 international shipping portion

$2.64 duty

$1.78 gst (tax is paid on item + duty)

$4.12 service fee

Total - $57.03

btw, I'm not trying to justify any of the charges...just trying to give you an idea of how they work.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmount
Michael kors. Wallet.. Excellent condition. Can't beat the price. Item# 191233797816$33.00 USD1$33.00 USD
Shipping and handling$5.80 USD
Insurance - not offered----
Total$38.80 USD
Payment$38.80 USD
Payment sent to tirish61@gmail.com 
From amount$42.64 CAD
To amount$38.80 USD
Exchange rate: 1 Canadian Dollar = 0.909943 U.S. Dollars

Shipping Charges: Transaction ID: 40626362DT1728903
International shipping and import charge A separate payment was sent to this global shipping company to ship your package and to clear customs.

DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmount
International shipping$5.80 USD
Total$21.10 USD
Payment$21.10 USD
Payment sent to 
From amount$23.19 CAD
To amount$21.10 USD
Exchange rate: 1 Canadian Dollar = 0.909874 U.S. Dollars

these arew the #'s I got

Issues with these transactions?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Which province are you in? This info is important for us to be able to calculate your tax rate. I am seeing a right royal mess with these charges, honestly, it just doesn't make sense to me, I hope someone can help you try to figure this out.

I have learned with the GSP a lot doesn't make too much sense, so I avoid these listings. 

And seriously, don't be a bit surprised if Pitney Bowes indicates  that this can't cross the border because it's "snake skin" , and you get a refund and note to the effect that the transaction has been cancelled. They are very literal in these matters. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

NB 13% hst

Message 10 of 10
latest reply