why do seller subscribe to the global shipping?

I just do not understand why do sellers subscribe to the global shipping program, I would not buy anything  from someone who  subscribes to it

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hello.  When Global Shipping was introduced American sellers  were either encouraged to adopt this shipping or new sellers were automatically enrolled in it.  So many sellers have adopted it in  the States because they are told it will make shipping so  much easier for them .  Sellers only have to ship items to Erlanger, Kentucky and Global Shipping takes care of the rest.  It doesn't matter in the least that any buyers outside of the U.S. absolutely despise this shipping.  No body at eBay is listening to our complaints and this shipping appears to be here to stay.  You can thank our Canadian government for this shipping!!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Overlooking the (usually newbie) sellers who were signed up by eBay without their knowledge, the program is designed to PROTECT SELLERS against unwarranted claims of non-delivery (Item Not Received) and negative feedback from foreign buyers who did not know their country charges duty and/or sales taxes on imported merchandise.

If you buy from a US seller who has GST enabled, he can cheaply send the item to PitneyBowes/GSP in Kentucky with Confirmation of Delivery which cost 25c or less.

And there his responsibility for delivery ends.

All applicable duty and taxes have already been paid by the buyer. If the buyer wants to complain about it, too late. And eBay will remove any negative feedback mentioning import costs, protecting the seller.

If the item is damaged in transit, remediation* falls to PB/GSP not to the seller.

PB/GSP tracks the parcel at no cost to the seller (the buyer pays this of course). This further prevents false INR claims.

EBay does mention in passing that it does not recommend using GSP for items valued under $50USD (around $65 CDN more than triple the allowance for duty-free imports into Canada.). But they don't remind sellers and as mentioned many sellers do not know they are signed up until they get a winning bid from a foreigner.

EBay started the GSP because sales in the USA were flat and US sellers, a xenophobic lot, were terrified of shipping outside the Lower 48. Many will not ship to Puerto Rico or Hawai'i, nevermind Canada.

From the point of view of making more items available internationally, the program has been very successful.

*And if your item is damaged in transit, PB/GST don't demand return for refund. Which saves the unhappy buyer a lot of money since international tracking is expensive.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You can thank our Canadian government for this shipping!!

Yes!

If Canada's import maximum was raised to the same $200 that cross-border shoppers get, most of the moaning about the (poorly designed and poorly implemented) program would disappear.

It's an election year. Write your MP at

House of Commons

OTTAWA ON  K1A 0A6

You don't need to stamp the envelope. Just write OHMS on it as a free franking.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If you pay those deadly import custom fees through Global and the item is returned Do you get your import custom fees back?
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

mg152
Community Member
Some of us, like me are in GSP but we also ship directly to our Canadian neighbors. Always look at the shipping & handling tab.
I love my Canadian buyers!
RIP Jann & Charlie Keller. You followed each other to heaven too soon. We miss you both!

Be nice to other people! You don’t know what’s going on in their life.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply