Buying stamps on eBay

Hey there. I know there's a few active members in here selling and/or buying discounted stamps and if my memory is good i did read more than once that it's possible to buy in bulk, save on postage and taxes. I'm actually looking for it i'm wondering if someone could advice me on what to buy and what not? I don't know much about stamps so i would not want to buy invalid ones...

Most of the time i do use 4x8 bubble mailers so i can't put like 10 stamps+ on it obviously

If it can help to suggest me, here's the postages i use:

0.92$ most of time

1.30$ once in a while

1.94$ sometimes

3.19$ never used but need it

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Buying stamps on eBay

My postage packets are pretty low right now, so I don't have any up, but you should be able to buy counted packets of the same value.

So you could put two 46c stamps on the envelope, or two 45c +a 2c or a 37c+55c.

canada $3 hockey 3d hologram.jpeg

And then there are some specialty items.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Buying stamps on eBay

For a first time:

There are usually some sellers offering combos of stamps to make certain price points.

- search "combo" under stamps (then narrow to Canada)

and tonight there is one seller offering 3 stamp combo to make 92 cents.

100 combos for $69.99 plus GST/HST.  Works out to a discount of 20% below face value for your province (but only 14% for me).

- search "letter rate" under stamps (then narrow to Canada)

Found one seller offering 2 stamp combos for $64.75 plus shipping, no tax

or 3 stamp combos for $63.75 plus shipping, no tax for total savings of 28% off face value

Better value than the other search.

There is no magic search term that will find you the best stamp deals for your wants, you will have to experiment with different searches to see what works best for you.  Also, there always new stamp listings, so if you can't find a good deal today, check back tomorrow or next week or next ...

Things to avoid:

- on paper (used)

- off paper (used)

- no gum (used)

- cancelled (used)

Things to check:

- does the seller charge extra for shipping and sales tax, those will reduce your savings, so include in your calculations

- if offered, what "face" value does the seller use for P stamps?  The correct value is 92 cents, but there are sellers who use the single stamp cost at the postal counter (which has a 15 cent surcharge) or round to $1 -- which means less actual value than promised.

- avoid a complex plastic seller who claims the stamp value includes sales tax (offers stamps worth $85, but claims it includes $15 sales tax so that the stamps are "really" worth $100)

-;-

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Buying stamps on eBay

Already found the infos i needed thanks

This is very weird we can't delete a thread on this forum

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Buying stamps on eBay

The advice given on these threads may be useful for someone else so it isn't odd at all that they can't be deleted.   If you really don't want any more comments you can click on the ... on  the top right of your first post and there should be an option for you to ask the mod to close the thread though that isn't done that often here unless the thread is a few months old.

If any of the answers given were a solution to your question, you could mark it as a solution by clicking on those 3. ... and marking it as a solution.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply