CANADA - BOYCOTT GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM

I would encourage all Canadians and anyone else importing an item on ebay to boycott the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping program (GSP),
This can be done by contacting the seller that you are interested but wish the item to be shipped USPS, the contact should be made before bidding.
The latest example for me was a $10.00 US item, the shipping and brokerage is listed at US$17.50, the item can fit inside a small padded or regular envelope, so shipping should be minimal, also on items less than CAN$20.00 there is no import fee needed.
I called eBay and asked to speak to someone about the shipping pricing structure, which is outrageous.
eBay makes millions of dollars on these collected fees, NONE of which are paid to any government body for duties or tariffs. They go straight to the profit margin.

CANADA CUSTOMS SELDOM CHARGES DUTIES OR TARIFFS ON ITEMS LESS THAN $100 (or more).

PLEASE SHARE AN

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

"NONE of which are paid to any government body for duties or tariffs."

It is never a good idea to spread misinformation online.

Pitney Bowes, through its Customs brokers, remits to Canada Revenue GST/HST/PST consumption taxes (and duty when applicable) on all items imported into Canada through the program.

To state otherwise is... quite frankly... irresponsible and leaves the writer without credibility.

There is no question that GSP is not suitable for most transactions by Canadian buyers.  Sellers in the USA were informed early on to use the program for items averaging more than US$50.  Obviously many sellers do not care as buyers (Canadians and overseas) pay all the extra charges.

The rules suggest CRA charges consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST) on postal imports with a value of Cdn$ 20.00 or more:

Official Canadian government webpage: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

...although we all know of many instances where parcels with a higher value went through Canada Customs with no tax levied.

Message 2 of 66
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I see any US sellers with GSP (I am a Canadian buyer with US address), and that I want to bid or buy their items, I ask them if they would opt out of GSP and if they choose not to, I tell them it is their huge LOSS.  Plus many US sellers with GSP DON'T realuize that they CANNOT combine shipping regardless of what!!

Many US sellers with GSP don't realize that buyers pay twice for shipping costs, one to sellers, one to Pitney Bowes (hefty shipping costs) which they pocket the different after re-packing them poorly, even remove protections, etc., which all of them arrived damaged!

GSP doesn't make sense at all.  I am amazed that we are seeing more and more US sellers opt in GSP when in fact they could have use eBay's E-Delcon which has fantastic reasonable postage rates and with tracking number and they can ship their items to their buyers directly and more faster than GSP.

Message 3 of 66
latest reply

Plus many US sellers with GSP DON'T realuize that they CANNOT combine shipping regardless of what!!

The gsp automatically combines shipping for items from the same seller if the items are put into a cart and paid for at one time.

Message 4 of 66
latest reply

Many US sellers with GSP don't realize that buyers pay twice for shipping costs, one to sellers, one to Pitney Bowes (hefty shipping costs) which they pocket the different after re-packing them poorly, even remove protections, etc., which all of them arrived damaged!

In principle your objections are valid but this old chestnut is just a nonsense.

It's their own money GSP would be wasting by doing this, and damaged articles are paid for by the GSP with no need for return shipping of a useless article, or even an article that is still of some value.

As for shipping, there is a simple explanation for some of the really high charges for light objects and that it this. If the seller does not specify the weight and size, an average shipping cost for the category is applied. This can result in a camera instruction book costing as much as a much heavier and bigger camera to ship.

It should not be possible to list a GSP item without using calculated shipping, or at least inputting all the information needed for calculated shipping, and all sellers should be told how important shipping details and country or origin are (this would save unpacking to ascertain the origin for the customs papers, but sellers do not know and ebay does nothing to fix this.

Some shipping can be cheaper, if the item is heavy and or bulky. Even including taxes paid up front. (And anyway, the heavy bulky items are sent by Priority and are far more likely to be stopped and taxed if sent by post.)

Message 5 of 66
latest reply

Pierre

Hello and thanks for your opinion on credibility, mis-information and the eBay GSP. 

Pitney Bowes DOES NOT remit the impot fees they collect to Rev Canada or CBSA from eBay. I called Pitney Bowes and they informed me that eBay collects, disburses and sets the fees. Pitney Bowes, presumably receives a percentage of the fees to cover their costs and profit margin.

No one from eBay could confirm that the collected import fees are disbursed to ANY government body in CANADA. I have placed several calls to eBay and they have promised to investigate and report back. The weeks continue to pass.

Do the import fees for Canadian buyers ensure that we will NOT pay other fees upon item delivery? Not without a fight.

"Import fees" are only charged if the seller is using the Global Shipping Program on eBay.com.If you read the fine print in the Buyer's User Agreement for GSP, there is this under paragraph 3:

1. Exclusions.You alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address specified by you.

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Message 6 of 66
latest reply

Obviously whoever who spoke to at Pitney Bowes (in Canada ?) may not be aware of the program initiated in the USA.

Following the link you provided;

Pitney Bowes' Role as Your Forwarding Agent.

By purchasing the GSP Item and consenting to these Terms, you authorize Pitney Bowes to act as your agent for the shipment and delivery of the GSP Item. As your appointed forwarding agent, Pitney Bowes will:

(A) make export classifications and complete export filings, including but not limited to, preparing and transmitting any Electronic Export Information or other documents or records required to be filed by the US Census Bureau, US Customs and Border Protection, Bureau of Industry and Security, and/or any other US government agency,

(B) arrange for the importation of the GSP Item, including, but not limited to, assigning Harmonized System classification codes to each GSP Item and filing a completed customs entry and related documents with the customs authorities of the country into which the GSP Item is being imported,

(C) account for and pay the assessed import duties and other taxes due upon importation of the GSP Item, each on your behalf,

....etc...

which part of Pitney Bowes paying import duties and other taxes did you not understand?

As stated several times before, I think the program is ill suited for most Canadian buyers for most transactions. However, let's keep the facts straight and not imply or suggest dishonesty by anyone.  It is simply a business transaction that should be avoided by Canadians.  Period.

Message 7 of 66
latest reply

I have only paid duty maybe 5 times out of hundreds of purchases from the USA.  The majority of these parcels are over $20.  Some over $300 and they go through.  If customs charged duty on all these parcels they would be backed up for years.

Global shipping is a money grab and I used it once, never again. Figurine had no headspace in box had flimsy bubble wrap (smallest bubbles) - it would have been handled better without a box as it would have been seen as  breakable.  Seller has an out, global shipping gave me my  money back and did not require photos.   Seller should have been responsible for the breakage.  It benefits sellers not  buyers.   So this beautiful figurine  that lived for years was disposable what a shame!  Seller trying to save money on postage for them not me. $9.95 on box I paid more than double.

Message 8 of 66
latest reply

Seller should have been responsible for the breakage.

If you believe that was the seller's original packaging, he still would be. You can leave Detailed Seller Ratings for Item as Described. A normal transaction get 5 stars, but when packaging is that poor, it deserves the lowest rating ONE Star. (No stars is a free pass). If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3, his ability to list and sell on eBay are greatly restricted. There is other fallout.

Even under the GSP, you can still open an Item Not As Described dispute and get your original payment back. PB/GSP covers this cost. Which is why it makes no sense for them to repack items badly. But then it also costs a seller,when he packs badly.

BTW, it is unusual for the GSP to ask for the item to be returned. You are allowed just to trash it rather than returning it to the seller with expensive tracking.

And the refund includes the duty and sales tax, although there are reports that that arrives later, which has a certain logic to it. Annoying logic.

But generally, GSP for items valued under $100 (eBay says $50 USD) is not useful to Canadians and should be avoided.

Message 9 of 66
latest reply

Pierre

Once again you erroneously assume (you really must stop doing that) that I spoke to Pitney Bowes in Canada.

Pitney Bowes Pitney Bowes Global Ecommerce Customer Service:

Phone 866.235.9627  Fax: 973.368.6301 Pbisgspcs@pb.com email

which part of Pitney Bowes paying import duties and other taxes did you not understand?".... LOL... Pierre..you should read the entire document.

But I do agree with you, its a terrible eBay tool for both Canadians and Americans.  

Message 10 of 66
latest reply

Paul,  I would like to be able to search for items on eBay that do not use Global Shipping.      So when I search I can put a tick in a box.   There has to be a way that buyers can search for items outside the program.  Have no idea where it would fit have not put much thought in it.   I do not think many Canadians would do a search looking to purchase this way. This may send a strong message.  If you go on the US discussion boards many sellers do not like it. 

you can search this way ..located under Show only - my bullets are tick boxes.

•  Free shipping
  •  Completed listings
  •  Sold listings
  •  PayPal accepted
  •  Listed as lots
  •  Accepts best offer
  •  Sale items
  •  eBay Giving Works
  • Items not shipped via Global Shipping
  • items shipped via Global Shipping

I have read posts on here that Pitney Bowes repacks the items.  I thought they just stuck the customs slip information on the box.  The box I received had handwriting which I assumed was done by the seller.   Then a printed label was plastered over the sellers address to Pitney Bowes to me.   

Cannot see Pitney Bowes using one piece of bubble wrap and paper tendrils from a cheerleader pompom to pack a figurine.   The figurine was packed so bad I was thinking of starting a Youtube channel on eBay packing.  Unfortunately I tossed the paper tendrils away.  The figurine touched the bottom and top of box without any packing. 

What I see is the seller packing the item as cheap as possible full well knowing that they would not suffer from the breakage. 

Does anyone know for sure that Pitney Bowes repacks the items?  Is this just misinformation? 

Message 11 of 66
latest reply

Seller trying to save money on postage for them not me. $9.95 on box I paid more than double.

The $9.95 was the price to send it to Erlanger, the extra you paid was the amount that paid for sending it from Kentucky to you. This is not priced on the labels.

Message 12 of 66
latest reply

Bignosycat

My category show all does not have the categories:

• Items not shipped via Global Shipping
  • items shipped via Global Shipping

I'm also checking with CBSA and to see how/if Pitney Bowes sends them the import fees, they supposedly collect on our behalf!

Some of their fees are ridiculously inflated. At least with UPS, you can self clear the import...not with this company.

There is a litany of complaints with this program, but so far ebay is not moving on changing it.

Message 13 of 66
latest reply

"There is a litany of complaints with this program, but so far ebay is not moving on changing it."

And, unless US sellers lose sales, they likely won't change it.

"I'm also checking with CBSA and to see how/if Pitney Bowes sends them the import fees, they supposedly collect on our behalf! Some of their fees are ridiculously inflated. At least with UPS, you can self clear the import...not with this company."

Why not just avoid buying from sellers who use the GSP?

Message 14 of 66
latest reply

"I'm also checking with CBSA and to see how/if Pitney Bowes sends them the import fees, they supposedly collect on our behalf!

I doubt if they will understand the question. The fees are paid by a customs broker employed by PB when the items clear inward customs in exactly the same way as all commercial freight shipments are cleared.

There is no mystery and no smoking gun here.

Message 15 of 66
latest reply

That was a quote from Paul8700.

My response was below that. Cat Wink

Message 16 of 66
latest reply

ALREADY BOYCOTTED. THE CHARGES ARE RIDICULOUS. THANKS TO THE NORTH AMERICAN FREE TRADE AGREEMENT SPORTCARDS PRINTED IN THE US ARE DUTY FREE. 

UNFORTUNATELY CANADIAN SALES ARE A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE SALES US EBAYERS HAVE. THEREFORE WE ARE NOT A PRIORITY.

Message 17 of 66
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"NONE of which are paid to any government body for duties or tariffs."

It is never a good idea to spread misinformation online.

Pitney Bowes, through its Customs brokers, remits to Canada Revenue GST/HST/PST consumption taxes (and duty when applicable) on all items imported into Canada through the program.

To state otherwise is... quite frankly... irresponsible and leaves the writer without credibility.

I agree.

But Pierre, please be aware that a correction is necessary of your statement as well.

PB does not charge PST,  nor does it remit PST to the CRA, so please be aware of this. 

Buyers in PST provinces are NOT charged PST under this program. 

Message 18 of 66
latest reply

"Buyers in PST provinces are NOT charged PST under this program"

Thank you for the clarification.

The PST included in HST is charged in HST provinces (Ontario, NB, NS, NL, PE).  There is no PST in Alberta. 

Residents of other provinces are required by provincial regulations to remit the tax themselves.  Surprisingly many do!

"In 1999, an agreement was made with the federal government whereby Customs officials would collect PST on the value of taxable goods brought into the province by returning residents. PST has since been collected only on goods that exceed or do not qualify for the federal travellers' customs exemption. In addition, PST is collected on postal or courier deliveries (valued in excess of $20) sent to BC recipients from outside Canada. No tax is collected on shipments of non-taxable goods, or shipments where the customs declaration clearly indicates the goods are a gift to a BC resident. "

Goods coming through Pitney Bowes fall under "cargo" not "courier" which may explain why no PST is collected by the Custom broker.

http://www.ica.bc.ca/kb.php3?pageid=2308

Message 19 of 66
latest reply

That's right. 

So to be completely accurate one should state: "Pitney Bowes, through its Customs brokers, remits to Canada Revenue GST/HST  (and duty when applicable) on all items imported into Canada through the program."

Omit the PST. 

Message 20 of 66
latest reply