COD Scam: What is going on here? What to do? Help!

Our package arrived today and when we went to pick up the item Canada Post said we owe $24+ towards a COD charge! We've asked them to hold the item.

Does anyone have experience with this? CPC said the COD is for shipping (not duty, not import, not brokerage). Our book cost nearly $100 plus $8+ shipping (also in retrospect, about the cost of a COD!...). The purchase was from the USA into Canada and our end of the shipping costs have already been paid.

If there is any shipping overage it is the sellers responsibility. The seller has been contacted but most of their feedback indicates they won't respond so we're trying to figure out the best course of action.

What should we do?

- If we pay the COD, can we get the difference back from eBay? Postage is the sellers responsibility.
- If we refuse acceptance will we get our money back? The seller has a no returns policy.

Additionaly there are a substantial number of folks in the sellers feedback who claim the item recieved wasn't the item ordered. Now, we haven't opened the package but given that the shipping is already a scam we're concerned that if we accepted the COD the book might not even be the correct one purchased. If it isn't the right book, will we still get our money back if they have a no returns/no refunds policy? Or will they say we can't open another claim because we've already opened a claim on the COD?

What is going on here? What to do? Help!

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

Our package arrived today and when we went to pick up the item Canada Post said we owe $24+ towards a COD charge! We've asked them to hold the item.

Does anyone have experience with this? CPC said the COD is for shipping (not duty, not import, not brokerage). Our book cost nearly $100 plus $8+ shipping (also in retrospect, about the cost of a COD!...). The purchase was from the USA into Canada and our end of the shipping costs have already been paid.

If there is any shipping overage it is the sellers responsibility. The seller has been contacted but most of their feedback indicates they won't respond so we're trying to figure out the best course of action.

What should we do?

- If we pay the COD, can we get the difference back from eBay? Postage is the sellers responsibility.
- If we refuse acceptance will we get our money back? The seller has a no returns policy.

Additionaly there are a substantial number of folks in the sellers feedback who claim the item recieved wasn't the item ordered. Now, we haven't opened the package but given that the shipping is already a scam we're concerned that if we accepted the COD the book might not even be the correct one purchased. If it isn't the right book, will we still get our money back if they have a no returns/no refunds policy? Or will they say we can't open another claim because we've already opened a claim on the COD?

devon@ebay 

Do you have suggestions for how this buyer should proceed and what protections they will have?

-Lotz

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

If you refuse the package it would be Undeliverable -- and the sketchey seller would eventually get back whatever he sent and would not be required to refund you a penny.

If you pay for the COD , neither eBay nor the sketchey seller is going to refund you that payment.

And you may have a book that cost you $132.

Since devon@ebay  has already been notified I'd also contact the eBay social media chats

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

and ask for advice.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

eBay needs to up their game along side the scammers here because being held hostage for (a now) $175 book or $150 for no book isn't exactly a "shop with us" policy. I see we should have went with abebooks. Thanx @femmefan1946

Would it be covered under this policy? It is the only other reference on these forums I could find to a similar incident, it is the sellers responsibility to pay the postage ... would eBay honor it in this situation?

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 12-57-11 bad seller sent item COD.png

I'll try and get in touch with eBay I guess, do they have a chat somewhere?

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

seems like this situation is already covered under Ebay's MBG policy.  I don't know if proof is required by Ebay (i doubt it),  but it would be a good idea to get something in writing from the Post Office stating that there were COD charges on this package for postage due (as opposed to Customs fees due).

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

This is really weird.  Why would Canada Post be concerned about a shortage in postage for a parcel that originated from the United States?  My experience with letters from the US  marked "postage due" is that Canada Post just ignores the marking.  Maybe it's different for parcels and Canada Post wants its share?

What is the shipping method as stated on the listing page, @tryubik-useonlyasdirected ?  There's something that doesn't quite add up here for me.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

@marnotom!Standard International Shipping, Located in Ohio. The tracking number shows it went through ePost Global before being handed onto CPC. The package is fairly large 13" x 10" x 3" and heavy. From our experience in shipping $24+ feels about right using the cheapest method TBH.

If we pay the COD receipt under protest and get a written statement saying the COD is a shipping shortage only, would eBay recover the cost? It seems the buyer should have to refund the amount owed for the COD.

I get it if its taxes or import, I purchased a $1200 purchase at christmas and promptly paid the $200+ extra bits. This would be the buyers responsibility, it is just so clearly the sellers responsibility for the shipping cost. 😕

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

What should we do?

devon@ebay 

Do you have suggestions for how this buyer should proceed and what protections they will have?

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I apologize about the situation @tryubik-useonlyasdirected is going through. What can be done is that  a return case can be opened to have the seller refund OP the portion that they had to pay for the remainder of the shipping. Also I recommend to report the seller so that way the correct team can look into the account to see if this something that is being done to other buyers from that particular seller.  

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Thanks for the devon shout out @lotzofuniquegoodies !

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I still don't understand this, @tryubik-useonlyasdirected .  USPS doesn't do international COD shipments, UPS doesn't, and I'm sure most other major carriers won't do this unless both parties have special accounts, so I don't know why ePost Global would.  I'm wondering if the clerk misspoke themselves.  I've had Canada Post pickup cards with "COD" scrawled on them and it turned out to be taxes and customs charges that I had to pay.

I've found Parcelsapp.com to be a very good at providing fairly detailed information on international shipments involving multiple carriers.  Check your tracking there and see if there's more information than what Canada Post and eBay are providing.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@marnotom!We will for certain be triple checking to make sure that it isn't some sort of tax again before creating any sort of ruckus. 🙂 The attendant did state twice as we rechecked it at the counter that it was an amount owing on the cost of shipping for this size of package. TBH the label looked different than they usually do as well but we didn't inspect it too closely ourselves before asking them to hold.

Anyhow I'll update here as the process plays out that way other folks may be offered some guidance or heads up in the future.

We'll be heading back first thing tomorrow and playing it by ear. Being sellers ourself we always try to do our due diligence before embarking farther into the eBay system. Maybe devon@ebay 's suggestion won't be required, but if it is that will be whats followed. Thank you Devon for your reply and direction in this matter.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

don't know if OP stated where they live, but, if they live in the Atlantic Provinces then this may well be a charge by Canada Customs, not a COD postage due charge.  The book was $100.  15% tax (which is HST in the Altantic Provinces) plus 9.95 fee is almost $25.  I'd be surprised if OP didn't get charged by Canada Customs for tax, given the value of the book.  Christmas time you might be able to get an item thru Customs without being charged tax but not usually at this time of year.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

The attendant did state twice as we rechecked it at the counter that it was an amount owing on the cost of shipping for this size of package.

Ah, that little bit of additional information is making things make more sense now.

The seller likely did somehow underpay ePost Global for shipping the item to Canada, but how they would have done that and whether or not it was an honest slip-up is are mysteries.  You said the label looked "different."  I wonder if there's any customs information on it?

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

well then maybe Eglobal paid the Customs fee (HST plus 9.95 fee) and this is how they recover it.  So, to the postal attendant it would look like a COD charge because it's from the shipper.  I still think the root charge is from Canada Customs...the amount is too coincidental.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

I still think the root charge is from Canada Customs...the amount is too coincidental.

Maybe, but if the book is US$100, that would convert to about C$136 at current exchange rates.  5% GST on that would be C$6.80, making all the customs handling charges about C$18.00.  There might charges other than the usual C$9.95 for a postal import if the item was handled by an entity other than CBSA, I suppose.

(If the $100 quoted by @tryubik-useonlyasdirected is Canadian dollars, then the amount for GST would be C$5.00 and the customs stuff about $19.00.)

Message 15 of 30
latest reply

@fergua3 charged by Canada Customs for tax, given the value of the book.

But we have a $150 duty free allowance on imports from the USA under CUSMA/NAFTA (and a $40 tax free allowance) so I don't think duty should be charged.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

i said twice i was talking about tax, not duties.  Tax.   The book was $100.  Whether that's in CAD or USD i'd be surprised if tax wasn't charged by Customs.

Marnotom!, the tax payable varies by province.  In provinces without HST then yup, it's just 5% GST.  But in Ontario, for example, the tax payable is the amount of HST which is 13%,  In the Atlantic Provinces the tax payable is the HST which there is 15%.  It's different depending on what province the buyer lives in.

So, as i said, IF the buyer lives in one of the Atlantic provinces, then the tax would be about $15, if the OP's quote of book's value is in CAD.   Plus  Customs charges of $9.95 on top, the total would be $24.95, which is in line with the OP's stating that the COD amount owed was $24+.

Could be a coincidence and i don't know where the OP lives, but it's my hunch that the COD amount is actually a Customs amount being reimbursed .  Hopefully OP will return and fill us in.

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Most HST provinces have a point-of-sale rebate on the provincial portion of the tax on book sales:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/gi-065/point-sale-r...
Message 18 of 30
latest reply

that's true, you'd think that would apply when Customs  assesses taxes on books as well.  So perhaps the COD amount is just coincidental then.  I hope OP returns to  tell us what happened.   Maybe this is a nasty new surprise awaiting some who buy using EIS.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

Maybe this is a nasty new surprise awaiting some who buy using EIS.

eIS wasn't used to facilitate this shipment, though.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply