Can Seller change the shipping cost to Canada?

coba_1361
Community Member
I'm interested in an item that is currently 5.99 cdn shipping from USA. The shipping cost is listed at 44.00 cdn! I contacted the seller and he had no Idea the shipping cost was so high. He said it would probably change. I don't understand. Once I buy an item, does the shipping change based on where it's going?
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You need to know shipping cost before you pay for item .

It's specified beside Item you Bid on it .

The shipping is based on Item

weight

meassures

value 

destination

service

carrier 

tax

gas price

hahdling

supplies

ebay fees on shipping

The seller has right include all those in shipping .

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Is shipping listed at two different spots in the listing?

Like in the Description and in the Shipping tab?

The Shipping tab is the one that will show up on your invoice.

And the only one you need pay.

Sometimes a seller gives a choice of services. One may be faster and more expensive than the other. The buyer can choose between them.

Some services (like the almost obsolete Global Shipping Program) include import fees (duty and sales tax) in the shipping cost. Or the import fees may be a different line item.

This is unlikely in this case since the $5.99USD cost is well below our duty-free allowances.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The seller can not change a shipping charge from what is posted in the listing when it is bought.

What it could very well be is it is a US seller that has (sometimes unknown to them) opted into eBay's new EIS (eBay International Shipping) program eBay has been pushing/promoting/using this quite stronglly since it's recent start up and a lot of times the sellers themselves are not aware of costs the buyers see since they only know the shipping charge they put in (to ship it to eBay's forwarding center). This is only half of the shipping charge,  eBay also has their charge to send it to you (you pay the two shipping charges - that total number should be showing in the listing). In addition, depending on value, import/duty could be extra.

I spoke to someone in customer service's shipping department today actually, for a different problem one of my buyer's was having, and was told there were a number of changes made July 9th that affect shipping and they were working on having everyone in the US on EIS by July 23rd with the goal to expand it to Canada and other countries shortly thereafter (though I won't hold my breath for it getting to Canada too soon). But there will no doubt be a lot more people wondering what is going on over the next little bit!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

The seller can not change a shipping charge from what is posted in the listing when it is bought.

What it could very well be is it is a US seller that has (sometimes unknown to them) opted into eBay's new EIS (eBay International Shipping) program eBay has been pushing/promoting/using this quite stronglly since it's recent start up and a lot of times the sellers themselves are not aware of costs the buyers see since they only know the shipping charge they put in (to ship it to eBay's forwarding center). This is only half of the shipping charge,  eBay also has their charge to send it to you (you pay the two shipping charges - that total number should be showing in the listing). In addition, depending on value, import/duty could be extra.

I spoke to someone in customer service's shipping department today actually, for a different problem one of my buyer's was having, and was told there were a number of changes made July 9th that affect shipping and they were working on having everyone in the US on EIS by July 23rd with the goal to expand it to Canada and other countries shortly thereafter (though I won't hold my breath for it getting to Canada too soon). But there will no doubt be a lot more people wondering what is going on over the next little bit!

@msau4301 

EIS to Canada. Scary thought!!! 2 things that program has not done has made International shipping faster or cheaper. No way it would be either for Canada to the USA. 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Totally agree. The first guy I spoke to told me as a Top Rated seller he could see I was already enrolled! (imagine my shock). I told him I was pretty sure I wasn't, it wasn't even available to Canadian sellers. He came back after asking around and said I was right but some of the steps were already underway and that it would be here soon. (But then again it was a phone employee which as I read here often aren't always the most reliable source)

I would imagine if it does come we should be able to "opt in" or "opt out" as sellers, just like the US can.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Like GSP many sellers were enrolled without their knowledge or didn't realize what they were being dumped into. They were in total shock when buyers were seeing that they were inrolled. International shipping is not that difficult. Adds a few minutes to processing a label. The main reason many US sellers like it is it decreases seller fees for shipping. 

-Lotz

Benefits of eBay International Shipping

As well as making your items available to buyers in over 200 countries, there are several other benefits to using eBay International Shipping:

• When you ship internationally using eBay International Shipping, you're responsible for getting packages safely to the US shipping hub. If a buyer reports that an item was lost or damaged during international shipping or it is damaged at the hub, we'll work with the buyer to resolve the issue. You're protected from:
    • the obligation to refund the buyer
    • eBay Money Back Guarantee cases
    • payment disputes
    • open ‘Not as described’ returns in your service metrics
  • Any negative or neutral feedback related to item handling that can be attributed to the eBay International Shipping program during international transit will be removed
  • Save on selling fees for your international transactions, including no international fee
  • All international returns and refunds will be handled on your behalf
  • If you schedule Time Away, the estimated delivery date will be updated to reflect this
  • You'll be protected against item not received claims and chargebacks
  • eBay International Shipping costs are on average 5% cheaper than eBay's pre-negotiated USPS international rates

To be currently elegible you must be above standard or top rated. 

The following requirements apply to items shipped through eBay International Shipping:

• Items are physically located in the US and listed on eBay.com
  • Items are eligible for export and the cost doesn't exceed $2500 USD
  • Packages should not exceed:
    • 44 lbs. billable weight for every country except Canada (maximum billable weight for Canada is 66 lbs.)
    • 48 inches in length, 118 inches in length + girth (Girth = 2 x width + 2 x height)
Message 7 of 7
latest reply