Guitar buying? or selling? what are the Rules now?

I think ebay should be helping here..  

Reading on a forums .. Ive noticed fish and wildlife have taking the wood products on guitars to another level..  anything rosewood of any kind can not be shipped freely accross boders to other countries with out cities documentation.. which is a lengthly process.. and costs extra..   what are your thoughts on ebay actually posting this?  

this will hurt sales , but not only that , will tick alot of buyers and sellers as well that are un aware of what they will face through the customs processes.. 

Not everyone belongs to forums  and info is vague to the folks that are not aware of this.. 

I think there should be some sort of warning or headline above certain mucical instrument headings pretaining to this.. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

As I remember it the problem arose not with customs as such, but with US sellers using the Global Shipping Program.

The GSP workers were stopping the export of guitars.

It is possible that the seized instruments were then sold. I believe that Pitney Bowes has the right to do that with undeliverable merchandise.

EBay really does need to look at the parameters of the GSP now that it has been in place for a few years.

Perhaps they could put a new hire on it. After all, they allowed a new hire to mess up the dotCOM Boards before he had even had his three month performance interview.

My preference would be a simple warning to sellers that products priced under $50(or $100) are not suitable for the GSP. Perhaps with a direct link to the USPS First Class Parcel shipping service pages.

And the seller should also be able to see how much the customer will be paying in import fees for a range of countries.(Canada/ Australia/ UK/ Germany for example).

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species, or CITES for short, is an international trade agreement that has been in place in Canada since 1975.  It is not about "fish and wildlife...taking the wood products on guitars to another level".  It is about restricting trade in endangered and/or threatened species.  While many species of rosewood have been restricted for years, this year the entire genus has been added to CITES Appendix II and will be closely regulated.

I don't think it is eBay's responsibility to warn buyers and sellers any more than they already do.  eBay is  cannot be expected to police every aspect of international trade.  It does already have policies, which are of course written from an Ameri-centric viewpoint.  Rosewood is only one of many things that have restrictions.  Established professional manufacturers and exporters of musical instruments already comply with the CITES regulations.  A responsible seller/reseller should be aware of restrictions, sell affected instruments only within their own borders, and (for US/UK sellers) not be enrolled in the GSP.  As for buyers, as always, caveat emptor.  By the way in Canada, CITES permits are free of charge, but the whole process is very complicated, because any country where you are taking something covered by a CITES certificate probably has its own requirements that will need additional documentation. 

Here are some links that may be helpful: 

http://www.ec.gc.ca/CITES/default.asp?lang=En&n=990E5322-1

http://www.clubbass.ca/cites.html   

https://reverb.com/ca/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hi.. thank you... But it is based off of F&W..   reason why I asked. is the rules went from some products containing rosewood, to all Rosewood.. so there is not just a few.. 

I think there should be a place posted via eBay.. so the folks that are not aware of this at least know what they are dealing with..

I read the reverb page.. its very clear.. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply