How does buyer's protection apply on item replacement?

A seller from China has sent me an item that doesn't work out of the box, and in our messages back and forth, they want to send a replacement item instead of refunding. 

In another purchase from a long time ago, I had a seller promised to resend me an item in a similar situation and it never arrived. By that point it was already several months after ebay's protection period.

Is there a way to get some protection for that replacement shipping so that in case the item doesn't arrive, I can still make a claim for it?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Get the refund for this transaction and it is done.

Start a new purchase from this seller or another and when it arrives check if it works. If so done. If not get another refund.

By completing a transaction and starting another the warranty period resets each time allowing you to take action with full eBay and PayPal protection.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

There is no reason to believe that a replacement would work any better than the unsatisfactory one you already have.

The replacement will take so long to arrive that the eBay Dispute would time out.

The seller may not send anything.

Demand a refund rather than a replacement.

• If you still trust the seller you can purchase the item from him again and the new transaction restarts the clock.

If the seller wants the original item back, he must supply a Return Shipping Label for a tracked service.

If the seller tells you to return the item and pay the tracked postage , open a Not As Described dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.  He will be told to pay return postage or he will lose the Dispute and you will be refunded.

While Paypal allows 180 days from payment for Disputes, the buyer is required to prove return delivery to the seller before refund.  With the high cost of Confirmed Delivery services to China, this is not economic.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You need to demand a refund. Then re order the item from another seller.. The replacement item may never show up, then you will be out of time to file with ebay for refund..

Message 4 of 4
latest reply