Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

They do not need to log in to ebay.ca, just enter any GSP country on their Payment and Shipping tab on the item page and hit 'Get Rates'.

The amount also includes a shipping charge of about $5 from Kentucky where the central GSP shipping plant is, to your front door

The shipping is unlikely to be as low as $5, but is always shown as a separate item

Message 521 of 3,104
latest reply

Haven't bought anything in about a week but just looked at my credit history and someone named "Pitney Bowes, Inc." just took $46 out of my bank account...**bleep** EBAY!?How to do I get my money back?Anyone with some useful info please pm me.

Message 522 of 3,104
latest reply

@albertfrance wrote:

Haven't bought anything in about a week but just looked at my credit history and someone named "Pitney Bowes, Inc." just took $46 out of my bank account...**bleep** EBAY!?How to do I get my money back?Anyone with some useful info please pm me.

It looks like that could be from when you purchased the Nexus tablet as that seller was shipping through the global shipping program. The listing says that there would be import charges of U.S.$25.77 and shipping charges of U.S.$14.02. Both those amounts would have gone to Pitney Bowes and the cost of the item would have gone directly to the seller.

Message 523 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY... Can we get a warning when someone uses Global Shipping BEFORE we buy?

I buy stuff from all over the world, and up until now I have only had to avoid UPS.... Now I have a new one.... Ebay's Global shipping.

I don't buy from sellers that send via UPS due to all the fees we get hit with at the door.... Don't need a new company that does this.

And don't reply with the fee chart for Canada Post... I only get charged from them when the item is over $200.

This is the first time I get this... two in one weekend...Shipped Global Shipping. I want notice so I can avoid this shipping method, or I will contact EACH and EVERY member I plan to buy from BEFORE I buy to make sure they DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE..

If you use Global Shipping... I will NOT be one of your customers.......

Message 524 of 3,104
latest reply

Read the listing

No additional import charges at delivery!
This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking. Learn more

Shipping:
US $10.19 (approx. C $11.18) International Priority Shipping to Canada  help icon for Shipping - opens a layer
This amount includes seller specified US shipping charges as well as applicable international shipping, handling, and other fees. This amount is subject to change until you make payment. For additional information, see the Global Shipping Program terms and conditions
| See details

Item location:
Pike Road, Alabama, United States

Ships to:
United States and many other countries | See details

Import charges:
US $7.57 (amount confirmed at checkout) To be provided at checkout  help icon for Shipping - opens a layer
Message 525 of 3,104
latest reply

That information is clearly displayed near the top of the listing.

pb.jpg

Message 526 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@albertfrance wrote:

It looks like that could be from when you purchased the Nexus tablet as that seller was shipping through the global shipping program. The listing says that there would be import charges of U.S.$25.77 and shipping charges of U.S.$14.02. Both those amounts would have gone to Pitney Bowes and the cost of the item would have gone directly to the seller.

And all this is explained in the GSP terms and conditions for buyers that buyers presumably read before committing to purchasing the item.  In addition, the listing page itself has the message "International shipping and import charges paid to Pitney Bowes Inc." in the "Payments" section at the top of the listing page.

Message 527 of 3,104
latest reply

afantiques: I understand there are two shipping charges. The one the seller sees, which moves the purchase from his place to Kentucky. and the one the buyer sees as part of the GSP, which moves the purchase from KY to Canada.

Am I confused?

I get confused. I remember everything. I remember too much, and... some of its made up, and... some of it can't be quantified, and... there's secrets.-- River Tam

Message 528 of 3,104
latest reply

I haven't paid for the tablet though, I messaged the seller to cancel the order and then I got the $46 charge on my account. Looks like they reversed the charge last night then charged me again.

Message 529 of 3,104
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

afantiques: I understand there are two shipping charges. The one the seller sees, which moves the purchase from his place to Kentucky. and the one the buyer sees as part of the GSP, which moves the purchase from KY to Canada.

Am I confused?

The two charges being referred to are:

(1) the shipping charges, which are made up of the seller's charge for shipping the item to Kentucky plus the GSP's charge for shipping the item to Kentucky, and

(2) the "import charges" which are made up of how much Pitney Bowes estimates it will advance in taxes and duties plus any import/export processing-related charges

The seller will only be aware of--and receive--the first part of the shipping charges unless they make some effort to look up what their potential buyers will have to pay.  The buyer will, of course, see the total shipping charges unless they change their shipping location in the listing to the United States.

Am I making sense or talking in Chinese?

Message 530 of 3,104
latest reply

@albertfrance wrote:

I haven't paid for the tablet though, I messaged the seller to cancel the order and then I got the $46 charge on my account. Looks like they reversed the charge last night then charged me again.

The seller won't' be able to cancel the sale on his own.  You'll likely have to respond to a cancellation request from the seller.

Until the cancellation goes through, you're likely going to continue to be billed for the shipping and import charges by Pitney Bowes.  As noted when you went through the sale, you agreed to these charges by committing to purchase the item.

Message 531 of 3,104
latest reply

"Am I making sense or talking in Chinese?"

You're not helping your case with "the seller's charge for shipping the item to Kentucky plus the GSP's charge for shipping the item to Kentucky"

Message 532 of 3,104
latest reply

This is garbage, i'm paying shipping when nothing is being shipped. I always thought eBay was a nice and easy place to buy stuff from. I was ignorant to terms I guess. Back to Amazon for me. Thanks for all the info, i'll try to straighten this out.

Message 533 of 3,104
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@albertfrance wrote:

The seller won't' be able to cancel the sale on his own.  You'll likely have to respond to a cancellation request from the seller.

Until the cancellation goes through, you're likely going to continue to be billed for the shipping and import charges by Pitney Bowes.  As noted when you went through the sale, you agreed to these charges by committing to purchase the item.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. I've never heard of a buyer being charged for an item before they have actually paid for it regardless if they have 'committed' to buy it.

Message 534 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. I've never heard of a buyer being charged for an item before they have actually paid for it regardless if they have 'committed' to buy it.

The buyer isn't being charged for an "item" though.

Having said that, I will grant that it's weird that the import charges are being levied if the buyer is correct in their claim that they haven't gone through Checkout.

Message 535 of 3,104
latest reply

@mater721 wrote:

"Am I making sense or talking in Chinese?"

You're not helping your case with "the seller's charge for shipping the item to Kentucky plus the GSP's charge for shipping the item to Kentucky"

I'm sorry this confused you so much.

Message 536 of 3,104
latest reply

Didn't confuse me at all, but I did find it ironic.

Message 537 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi intergalacticwalrus. 

As advised by afantiques, it sounds like the best course of action is to file a Not As Described case.

Once you have done so please feel free to follow-up either here or via Private Message and I can look into it from this end.

Thanks.  

Message 538 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi mater721. 

I'm not 100% sure I understand all of your questions, but I'll answer as best I can. 

With a GSP transaction the "program fees" are shown on the listing (these are estimated but are usually very accurate), and then again on the checkout page (these are the actual total fees). "Program fees" include international shipping, import fees, taxes,  handling, etc.

Other fees are the purchase price (obviously), and domestic shipping which is based upon the shipping method chosen by the seller.

You can find a better breakdown of how all this works on the Terms & Conditions pages -- 

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/seller-tnc.html

As for the second part of your questions, I believe the difference lies in the roles  of importer (buyer) and exporter (seller). Pitney Bowes acts as a service provider to the seller, taking care of the customs clearance portion of the transaction (including any/all necessary forms). If additional forms/etc. are needed with the role of importer, those are the buyer's responsibility. 

If this still doesn't answer your question please send me a Private Message and I will reach out to some people on this end. 

Thanks. 

Message 539 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi rose-dee. Please see below for answers, preceded by >>>

@rose-dee wrote:

This thread seems to have gotten way off track into another back-and-forth discussion - I'd like to return to the original purpose.  Kalvin, if you're still there (as per your post at the top of this thread), I have some specific questions about the GSP:

1)  Are U.S. sellers given a completely free choice of whether to "opt in" to the GSP, and by that I mean also free of any consequences to them?  I'm hearing that US sellers believe their accounts will be penalized (or even closed) by eBay if they don't "opt in", i.e. the GSP is mandatory. 

>>>Yes, sellers are given a choice. For a time enrollment was tied to the new User Agreement; this was not the most popular move in the history of online shopping, to say the least. But the program is NOT mandatory and there is no penalty for opting out. 

2)  If the GSP is mandatory in the above sense, is it only mandatory for some sellers in some situations, or for all?

>>>See previous answer.

3)  Once a US seller has "opted in", can they "opt out" without consequences?

>>>See answer to question #1

4)  If US sellers can opt out, what steps must they take?

>>>To opt out of the GSP:  

Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences  //  Click the Show link to the right of the Shipping Preferences section  //  Click the Edit link to the right of Offer the Global Shipping Program  //  Click on the Opt Out button 

5)  If US sellers can opt out, can they opt out for all their listings at once or only on individual listings?  Are there restrictions on when they can opt out, or on what type of listings they can opt out of?  I had one poor seller tell me she felt trapped, since she could not "opt out" of the GSP for a particular item I wanted to bid on because there was already a bid on it.  I passed the item up because the GSP charges (on a ca. $15 item) would have been roughly $30 US. Normal shipping for that item would be less than $10, and Canadian taxes nil.

>>>Sellers can opt in/out for specific items

6)  I assume eBay has some sort of contractual arrangement with Pitney-Bowes.  How much does eBay collect on each GSP transaction?  Or has eBay been paid an up-front fee to run and promote the programme on its site?

>>>We have a partnership with PB as a service provider. As far as how much we are making or how this breaks down ... I have no idea. I can ask but I doubt I would get a straight answer ....

7)  Does eBay have any specific plans to make the GSP completely transparent (i.e. all charges shown up front, based on buyer location) as well as optional, for both sellers and buyers alike?  If so, would you please enumerate those plans?  It might help to re-establish some confidence in eBay's bona fides toward its users on both sides of the border to know that steps are in place to address the biggest problems. 

>>>I can tell you that the "t-word" (transparency) comes up a lot. And not always by me. eBay does realize that we didn't do a great job at the onset of the program. But I can tell you that steps are being taken to make things more transparent as well as more customizable. I know that might sound a little vague, but it can take a while to make changes to policies around here ....

I ask these questions not only as a concerned Canadian buyer, but also on behalf of US sellers, since I think the GSP is ultimately notgoing to benefit either.  Canadian buyers will always feel it's an unfair money grab, and US sellers will resent their GSP buyers voicing such discontent via FB and DSRs.  In fact I fear it will sour so many people -- buyers and sellers alike -- on the eBay experience that they may just not return. 

Someone really needs to answer the above questions for all of us.

Hope this helps.
---Ben

Message 540 of 3,104
latest reply