Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

There is a handling fee of approximately $5 on the item plus import fees. GSP charges the least of all possible carriers for this service. Canada Post charged $9.95 CAD handling and couriers start at $19.99 handling plus a bracketed percentage of the item value as brokerage fee.

Unfortunately, Pitney Bowes does not break it down further.
Message 3101 of 3,104
latest reply

@nhcanada09 wrote:

Is there any way to request a break down of the import fees?

I can't understand why my import fees work out to 19.5% of the value of the item. I purchased a vinyl record box set which was manufactured in the US. Thanks to NAFTA, this item is duty free. The only import fee this item is subject to is HST at 13%.

Pitney Bowes pays any tax and duty owing on your item.  The "import charges" are your way of paying them back.  You also get charged various processing fees on the item which usually add up to around US$5.00, give or take.

You can't get a breakdown on the import charges, but you can get some idea what goes into them from this page:

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Something to keep in mind is that if the listing page for an item that is to be forwarded through the GSP has no information in the "item specifics" section on that item's country of origin, the GSP bot will likely make a calculation that includes something resembling a duty charge, if duty is applicable to a non-NAFTA version of the item.

Message 3102 of 3,104
latest reply

@nhcanada09

The GSP is specifically NOT for businesses.

The only people who NEED (as opposed to WANT) a GSP breakdown are not supposed to be using it.

This simplifies life for the GSP, since they are not dealing with commercial imports for resale. The assumption is that all GSP purchases are for personal use.

If you are registered for the GSP, the best you can do is decide that the total price you paid for your inventory is good enough to forgo the tax credits.

If you are just interested, the responsibility for telling GSP the origin of the item lies with your seller, who was not clear about it in his paperwork.

Message 3103 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi all,

This discussion thread is old, and has lived a long and fulfilling life. Many things have changed since this thread was opened, so to avoid spreading information that's no longer accurate, I'll be closing it so that it can go to Discussion Board Heaven. 

If you would like to discuss a similar or related topic, please feel free to start a new one.

Message 3104 of 3,104
latest reply