So i encountered something odd, and need some info on this.

kutheum_0
Community Member

So I found a listing on ebay for a pokemon plush i've been looking for however the price it set to about $1.52 canadian, but the shipping fee is somehow set to 81$ this seems so fishy to me.

And i'm curious if this is some form of shipping fee scam or something and how would i go about reporting it to ebay, because in their help area i couldnt find any relevant information.

I have ordered plenty of things in the past on another account from Japan, China, all accross seas and ive NEVER paid anymore than 5$ shipping 90% of the time it has been free, so i do not understand why this is 81$ shipping in canadian, this must be some form of scam.

Apologies if this isn't the right outlet to get info on this, but ive tried looking all over and couldn't find anywhere relevant on Ebays official help section.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Is the item you are interested in worth the $82.52 in total?  If so, why not just buy it?

There is of course a good chance the seller is not aware that eBay will also charge them a commission on the shipping. Decades ago, some sellers circumvented fees but charging $1 for an item and $100 for shipping as they would only be charged fees on the $1. Those days or long long gone.

I wouldn't waste my time "reporting" them.  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Just noticed the poor feedback numbers for this seller.  Huge red flag. Seems most other sellers are asking in the $50-60, shipping included range.  Consider one of the others. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

This is nothing new and there is no shortage on these sellers who do this.

I avoid them.

When a seller asks over $120 shipping for a single DVD, people should learn this is a seller with practices one wants to avoid.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Once upon a time, eBay charged fees on sales but not on shipping.

So some sellers would sell for $1.52 (~$1.25USD*) and put their actual price of $81(~$65USD) as shipping, cheating eBay out of their fees.

And now we pay fees on both purchase price AND shipping.

Your seller is about two decades out of date, and has been copying another bad seller's Terms of Service.

Not a good choice-- even before the poor feedback.

*While you may have found the listing on dotCA, it was likely posted to dotCOM.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply