Specifying USPS - Actual Shipping DHL (E-Commerce?)

Regarding the question in the discussion selecting USPS shipping but in turn a seller switching to DHL.  See discussion from dot com attached. The post references something called DHL Intergalactic Mail. They also have an E-Commerce shipping service.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/DHL-Shipping/m-p/30663622

https://www.logistics.dhl/us-en/home/our-divisions/ecommerce/customer-service/consumer-faq.html

The only reason I became aware of a different DHL program was I recently made a purchase, outside of eBay that uses a service called DHL E-Commerce. In trying to find out if customs duties and processing were involved (90 USD shipment) was able to eventually find out that none was applied in this case. I very likely got lucky. Everyone else may not be. 

The tracking gets it to a hub where it gets processed and then forward to Canadapost where no new tracking is updated. Just how it is. The package suddenly arrived in my Community mail box 5 or 6 days later. In re-checking the tracking it ended at the DHL hub. For some, tracking is critical in cases where they would prefer to be home if something does get delivered to their front porch and mysteriously walks away.

For an eBay  seller that is changing to the DHL service after the fact, it is a little bit of a bait and switch. Especially if there ends up being customs clearing charges & taxes when possibly there might not be with USPS direct. This is why it is super critical that eBay sellers SHOULD  be mandated to use the ACTUAL shipping service instead of generic terms like Standard or International Priority Shipping. Buyers NEED to know in advance how their parcel is being shipped BEFORE its shipped. They shouldn't have to guess or be shocked by surprise fees.

-Lotz

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I'm surprised that you weren't charged anything on delivery, it will be interesting to see what happens with this ebay international standard delivery.

Years ago I used to order from a US company that used DHL global mail which sounds similar to what you describe as the package was given to Canada Post at some point. But because I do have a community mail box, I always had to pick up those packages at the postal outlet and pay duty, tax and collection fee.  I can't remember if the fee was the typical $9.95 CP fee...it probably was.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I was shocked too. Also of note several people all located close by ordered from the same company. Packages arrived at various intervals.

A short time back there were posts about GSP handing off to some company called Apple that uses mysterious drop off points that buyers were unable to locate. Believe there was a temporary stop on this practice but not sure who they switched to or if they are back? I avoid GSP at all costs now knowing the pitfalls. That info should be included with any GSP purchases if packages are going to get handed off willy nilly like to Bubba - Guy with Truck Inc. No offence intended to anyone named Bubba.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I'm looking forward to the day when the standard home will have a lockable box for deliveries.

I've never understood the US "mailbox at the end of the 100' driveway"  which even without thefts, seems to attract attacks by baseball bats. Insecure.

It almost, almost, makes community mailboxes look good. Although BIL who was stuck with one when he lived in an upscale trailer park, sent around some spectacular pictures of what it looked like after thieves attacked it.

Most of the mail these days, anecdotally, is flyers and packages. Canada Post is going to have to get on board with more secure parcel delivery, although they are better than most couriers, since the parcels tend to go back to a reasonably nearby PO and the carriers are usually pretty good about notices.

I gather Apple lost their contract pretty fast. We haven't heard any complaints for a few months and they were spectacularly bad.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 

There have been a few random reports in various parts of the country about an assortment of issues with the community boxes.  One they thought was broken into...Turns out the delivery person forgot to lock. Wonder how much that happens? A few being stolen...ripped from moorings.  Others that were broken into with a crowbar. Boxes that iced up and can't be unlocked or ice build up in front of them and crews slow to clear.

There was a post office in Carseland AB that was temporarily closed for repairs. Folks have to drive approx 30 mins to Strathmore to pickup their mail...During business hours. Not convenient for all.

Now if only they made mail slot able to take a small package over 5 mm or parcels.  I did have a red large box close by but that recently poofed. Would handle the bulk of my parcels. You can get 1 of those lockboxes but you have to have the volume. We had one where I worked in Wpg for after hours pick ups.  Was great. Saved waiting around every night.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

All three of the mailboxes I can walk to have parcel slots, I've never measured but they seem to be about 30 cm.deep and about 40 cm wide.

Any barcoded parcel can be dropped in there and gets "accepted" at the terminal.

Of course, here in Victoria, that means after the ferry ride across the Salish Sea and a truck ride to Richmond.

I guess it depends on how much you worry about these things. I rarely track anything and rarely have a problem.  But then, my products are mostly low value and my customers tend to be people who actually read descriptions and enjoy following instructions. If you don't follow the instructions on a sewing pattern, you will waste your time and a lot of expensive fabric.

But if I were selling electronics or gaming peripherals or jewelry or dolls or sneakers..... well mileage varies. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

A community mail pick up box slot is very limited. Difficult to fit for even a bubble envelop with any contents.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

"I'm surprised that you weren't charged anything on delivery, it will be interesting to see what happens with this ebay international standard delivery."

You will receive the "bill" in the mail or by email. I recently received a large package from the UK by Fed Ex, no duties or any other fees upon delivery...

...one week later the "Duties" bill arrived in the mail, and my e-mail.

I paid by snail mail and a cheque.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

As far as I know FedEx is the only courier that does that.  Any international package I have received from UPS or DHL was not handed over until the custom/ brokerage  fees were paid.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

some of us aren't even getting our items.
who cares about paying taxes or duty.
i just want what i ordered.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Look at your estimated arrival date in the order details on your ebay purchase history.  If it is after the last estimated date you can open an item not received claim through your purchase history.  If there is tracking on the item you should be able to click on the tracking number in your purchase history to see where the package was last scanned.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Zombie Thread from ‎03-04-2020 03:59 PM

Message 12 of 12
latest reply