What's up with Canada Customs lately?

For the last 6 months, 98% of all my items bought on ebay.com with US sellers are sailing through customs without getting the additional taxes added on for payment on pickup of my item at the post office. This includes even some higher valued items that are clearly marked with the purchase price, and still, sail on through they go!!

Does anybody know why this is? There used to be a time when only 10-20% of my packages got through, but now almost everything is. I'm tickled pink, but very curious why it's so different now?

Thanks,

Lora

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

government needs more money to cover the money there losing from gas 😄

that's just my guess no news on a new way of them looking at items..

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Don't know where you are but we have only been flagged by customs 2 times since the beginning of the internet. That is involving many thousands of items sent USPS to Winnipeg.
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

It's the new guy, trying to impress the boss.

Soon the boss will let him know that processing and charging duty and tax often costs more in wages than is being collected and that he should chill out.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

None of those replying seem to have realised that the OP was saying that none of their items were taxed, not that lots of them were

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Yes, I bought a $300 item a few weeks ago from the US and it arrived last week on  my doorstep, nothing owing. Full price disclosed on customs form. 

In my experience, items are generally not hit with tax, maybe I'm just lucky ....and when items are taxed, it's so random,  some $50 items taxed, and $500 items not. Seems to correlate with method of shipping, the more expensive the shipping method, the higher the likelihood of the item being flagged. 

Not sure why you aren't being taxed as frequently as before, maybe there are staff shortages at your local CBSA hub? 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

This is Canada.  It is an election year.  Canadians do not like to pay tax.  They blame the government when they do.

Connect the dots

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

"This is Canada.  It is an election year.  Canadians do not like to pay tax.  They blame the government when they do."

If Harper really wanted our votes he'd raise the Import threshold from $20 to $100.

But I suppose he only wants to temporarily forgo the tax dollars. Raising threshold would be long-term. We have short-term memory.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

"he'd raise the Import threshold from $20 to $100"

Not a smart political move.  It would offend small businesses and retailers putting them in an unfair uncompetitive position versus American retailers and mail order businesses. The result may be layoffs in Canada.  As a federal politician, you do not want to do that in an election year as it could be political suicide.

It is much easier to quietly let things slide while nobody pays attention.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

"Not a smart political move.  It would offend small businesses and retailers putting them in an unfair uncompetitive position versus American retailers and mail order businesses."

Depends on if one thinks there are more small business owners who will suffer vs # of buyers in Canada who will benefit. More tax savings from online shopping may result in same money spent here.

Small business owners don't lose a dime because of my online shopping habits. But I may be in the minority.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

"business owners don't lose a dime because of my online shopping habits"

Sometimes it is best to look at the big picture, involving 35,000,000 Canadians.

If a Canadian in Ontario (for example) can purchase an item for $50 online from a Canada supplier or an American supplier, there are basically two options:

1) buy from the Canadian supplier and pay 13% tax

2) buy from an American supplier and pay no tax (should the postal import exemption be increased to $100)

We know that postage cost from the USA to Canada are generally even cheaper than domestic rates for parcels so shipping charge in many instances should not be a factor.

For the government to encourage Canadian consumers to purchase outside the country for the purpose of not paying taxes in this country seems wrong to me. 

Money does not grow on trees in this country. The results can only be one of two things:

1) less tax collection (GST/HST) on imports results in fewer services provided by provincial and federal government

2) less tax collection (GST/HST) on imports results in the shortfall being paid by increased income or other taxes

In addition profits made by American suppliers are not taxed in Canada.  The tax goes to the State and American federal governments and whatever labour is used in those millions of transactions is earning wages and paying associated taxes in the USA, not in Canada.

I do not see any real benefits, do you?

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

"Sometimes it is best to look at the big picture, involving 35,000,000 Canadians."

The average Canadian buying online does not look at the "big picture". They just want the govt to let them buy stuff cheaper. If raising the threshold from $20 to $100 lets them, they will be happier with the govt. That's what we were discussing - election coming up and voters being happy. Guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

My statement "business owners don't lose a dime because of my online shopping habits" is referring to fact that 90% of my online purchases are made in US because that's the only place I can get them. So raising threshold, for me, will not cause local businesses to lose sales. I'm already NOT buying here because of availability.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Seems to correlate with method of shipping, the more expensive the shipping method, the higher the likelihood of the item being flagged. 

I agree. I don't ever remember paying tax on a first class package. I have been charged tax on packages sent priority...not all of them but many of them.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Maximus - I'm in Winnipeg as well, so I'm surprised you've had such a low threshold for tax payments. It's weird to me that we are both in the same city and I would get bagged so frequently, but you don't/didn't? How bizarre. The only thing I've been dinged on recently was a Prada purse, but even then, they didn't tax me fully on the full sales price, and they didn't levy duty at all when they should/could have. I'm not sure why CBSA undervalued the stated value, but they did! So I was still happy LOL.

Pierre, your comments on an election year actually makes a LOT of sense to me. You could be on to something here...

Lora

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

"The average Canadian buying online does not look at the "big picture"."

I totally agree with you.  Most individuals try to find "what's in it for me?"

However, a government should look at the "big picture" today and how changes may affect tomorrow.

On October 8th 2014, Stats Canada published an excellent analysis of cross border shopping and imports by mail and courier. Since it takes quite some time to acquire and analyze the numbers, data is for 2012.

A few points to keep in mind:

1) total retail sales in Canada (one of the largest sector of the economy): $468 billion dollars

2) Goods imported into Canada from abroad by post and courier: $3.1 billion dollars (growing quickly and representing an increase of 50% from 2006)

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/141008/dq141008a-eng.htm

While goods imported by mail and courier still represent a very small fraction of the overall retail business, I do not see why the government should do anything to encourage its growth if it means lowering tax revenues and less sales for Canadian retailers.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

In my experience, First-Class is taxed on import as often as is Priority and it has little to nothing to do with the declared dollar amount. I have found that during peak periods (i.e. Christmas) Customs simply has no time to assess packages. It creates a bottleneck. Customers get angry. Agents are tired and overworked and want to go home. It sails through. Summer months? Duty is collected at the door for certain. But that's just me. (For the record, I am also in Winnipeg.) 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

"However, a government should look at the "big picture" today and how changes may affect tomorrow."

I don't disagree with the above.

It is disappointing though, as an ebay buyer, that I am at such a disadvantage compared to many others in that Canadians have to pay duty with such a low import threshold - $20.00 is nothing.

If I could buy the items I want (collectibles) in Canada, I would.

If I could "buy Canada" in the stores - even paying more - I would. Unfortunately, we have few options these days.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Very true. Twenty bucks is too low. And, bear in mind, that's $20CAD which is worth like four cents in American dollars now. 

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

"... which is worth like four cents in American dollars now."

Ugh... don't remind me. More disadvantage.

Who'd have thought I might want the price of oil to go back up - at least until the summer when I drive more.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

The 2 flagged items were an LCD for a laptop $120 and a phone case $2.10

I had to fight them on the $2 phone case. They insisted it was $210.00, idiots.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply