eBay + FedEx = Disaster

Jan 2020 Ordered inverter from seller paid with PayPal
February
1000.00 inverter arrived severely damaged.
I took photos, sent them to seller through ebay and asked for a refund.
Seller didnt respond for a week
I asked eBay to step-in

Seller sent FedEx shipping label through ebay:
I called FedEx arranged a pickup
They gave me a Door Number
Xxxxx for the driver.

FedEx Express Driver picked up package from my home
FedEx Windsor rep Roland called me that evening, he said shipping label tracking wasn't working.

FedEx employee Ryan issued second Tracking number in Windsor ON (Oldcastle)

I reported this to ebay
eBay Customer Service rep entered it into ebay system

Next day FedEx rep Jill call me
FedEx Express transferred package to FedEx Ground, and loaded it on a truck to cross Canada/US border destination.

When I checked that tracking wasn't working either
I called FedEx and opened a case file.
I called eBay and spoke with a manager about my refund. She told me that I would receive it on delivery.

Next day I asked FedEx to investigate

Next day Another FedEx rep Dona called me and said that tracking number no longer valid.

Next day Dona from FedEx Toronto called again and issued another (recycled) tracking number

I reported this to ebay and eBay CSR Joseph said he was unable to enter the new number into ebay system
He asked my permission to try
He made a note on my account
He assured me that I would get my refund

Item reported by FedEx as delivered to proper address on original shipping label however origin on recycled tracking number is not my Address

Next day eBay system closed my refund request claiming I didnt provide tracking#
I contacted eBay and they opened an appeal.

eBay rep Ella told me I have to provide a FedEx report explaining the tracking mixups or eBay won't help refund.

I asked Ella to contact FedEx with the information I provided eBay, Ella refused

I've been reaching out to seller
Seller hasn't responded
Seller has my money and defective inverter.
I have nothing but grief

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

eBay + FedEx = Disaster

Your $1000 purchase arrived damaged.

You contacted the seller who ignored you.

You opened a Dispute.

Seller sent you a FedEx label.

You returned via FedEx.

FedEx Windsor reported the number was not working.

FedEx Toronto reported the new number "was not longer valid".

It sounds like the seller cancelled the FedEx label.

Seller has my money and defective inverter.

Where is the damaged inverter now? With FedEx or on its way back to you?

Can you show that the inverter is back with the seller?

eBay rep Ella told me I have to provide a FedEx report explaining the tracking mixups or eBay won't help refund.

They need FedEx's report, no one else's.

Back to Dona, I guess.

I don't think you should give up on eBay yet, but you do have recourse if eBay does not force the seller to refund.

Paypal allows Disputes for 180 days from Payment.

Unfortunately, PP also insists that the Buyer pay return postage.

But if you (and Dona?) pay for tracked service and enter that number, PP will force the refund when the tracking shows delivery.

In addition, if you back your PP account with a credit card, you may also have recourse through the card's chargeback service. These vary so you are on your own with that.

Something you don't mention, but which is important too, what happened with the import/customs brokerage fees?

FedEx has a nasty habit of not charging these on the doorstep, but instead billing you later.  You paid about $25 for the FedEx brokerage fee, plus whatever duty might be assessed, and ON sales taxes.

You won't get the brokerage fee back, but you may be able to get the duty and sales taxes.

But deal with the return and refund first.

Keep us posted.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

eBay + FedEx = Disaster

When eBay closed my case on Saturday I opened PayPal Claim
Monday I called FedEx and asked rep to call eBay to confirm delivery and explain the tracking mess. Sell used recycled tracking label. FedEx allows this. eBay does not.
Monday I received email from sellers company stating that they DID recieved my return on Friday and tried to refund but we're BLOCKED BY EBAY!
After that I called eBay and was told they reversed their decision and judged in my favor but No email confirmation.
Then I recieved another ebay email stating that my case was closed, a second time because I contacted PayPal for help.
Now I'm trying to get eBay to cooperate with PayPal and confirm they decided in my favor.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

eBay + FedEx = Disaster

Your seller can ignore all the tussle-bustle with eBay by sending the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

He may want to make only a partial refund, because PP keeps  30c plus 4.4% of payment back on refunds, an amount that is PP's service fee for processing the original payment. That

's up  to you and him to negotiate.

But basically, there is no need to get either company involved if the pair of you want to exchange money.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply