Bought 2 items total C$171 from GB. Parcel is @ Canada Post with import charges of $109. Do I have

to accept the parcel or can I arrange to return it?  And, if I can, how do I return it?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bought 2 items total C$171 from GB. Parcel is @ Canada Post with import charges of $109. Do I have

You pay for the return shipping.

At one time, eBay gave sellers a bit of boilerplate to add to Terms of Sale for international transactions.

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

You are as a consumer and as a citizen, responsible for the import fees (duty, sales taxes and shipper's service /brokerage fees)

And that's not just eBay policy.

That is law.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You pay for the return shipping.

At one time, eBay gave sellers a bit of boilerplate to add to Terms of Sale for international transactions.

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

You are as a consumer and as a citizen, responsible for the import fees (duty, sales taxes and shipper's service /brokerage fees)

And that's not just eBay policy.

That is law.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@greyling128 wrote:

to accept the parcel or can I arrange to return it?  And, if I can, how do I return it?

It will cost you either way:

(1) Accept, which means paying the charges (you may dispute those with customs if the charges are wrong -- the how-to details are on the customs document)

(2) You can refuse the shipment and have it be returned to the seller. Seller is not required to refund the cost of shipping (the seller will also be charged the cost of shipping back to the UK -- return for parcels is not free). And the seller may also have a restocking fee. Check with the seller.

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

eBay includes information about customs charges, with a question mark that opens to give additional info, just below the shipping costs on any listing which is coming from outside Canada. Shoppers need to become familiar at least with the fact that customs exists and functions and may impose charges; another reason why it is so important to read everything before committing to buy.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks a lot - I am a little lost in this eBay world. Lessons are harsh!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time. I'm new to eBay and learning as I go. This was a cruel discovery, the import charges seem almost disproportionate. The parcel is sitting @ the post office until I decide.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply