Item shipped from a different location, charged duty.

agedashi
Community Member

Hi,

I bought an item that indicated it was being shipped from Toronto, Ontario to where I am in Vancouver, BC. The item instead shipped from Salt Lake City, Utah. I was charged a import fee from FedEx to pay CBSA on my behalf. I have contacted the seller, but if he does not offer a solution, what can I do?

Thank you 

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A lot of dropshippers don't realize why they are supposed to give the location of the item, instead of their own location.

This is actually an eBay Violation and can be Reported as such.

In this case, start with a polite note to the seller telling him how much you paid and asking how he intends to make you whole.

If he covers the unexpected cost, no problem.

If he won't cover any part of the cost, your options are:

The aforementioned Report for incorrect location.

Feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual "Ships from USA. FedEx import charges $50CDN" for example. Also if the seller is a newbie or an occasional seller, Paypal is Holding your cleared payment against his good service. A negative feedback may increase the time the payment is Held.

Detailed Seller Ratings. This will change in 2016, but at the moment eBay pays a lot of attention to these. A normal transaction gets 5 stars. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR. If a seller's Ratings drop too low his fees can rise, the number and value of his listings may be restricted, or his selling account may be closed.

Don't mention feedback or DSRs in your request for relief on the import fees. That can get negative feedback removed as extortion.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

A lot of dropshippers don't realize why they are supposed to give the location of the item, instead of their own location.

This is actually an eBay Violation and can be Reported as such.

In this case, start with a polite note to the seller telling him how much you paid and asking how he intends to make you whole.

If he covers the unexpected cost, no problem.

If he won't cover any part of the cost, your options are:

The aforementioned Report for incorrect location.

Feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual "Ships from USA. FedEx import charges $50CDN" for example. Also if the seller is a newbie or an occasional seller, Paypal is Holding your cleared payment against his good service. A negative feedback may increase the time the payment is Held.

Detailed Seller Ratings. This will change in 2016, but at the moment eBay pays a lot of attention to these. A normal transaction gets 5 stars. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR. If a seller's Ratings drop too low his fees can rise, the number and value of his listings may be restricted, or his selling account may be closed.

Don't mention feedback or DSRs in your request for relief on the import fees. That can get negative feedback removed as extortion.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply