Why are there two different Estimated Delivery Date deadlines for the same item?

An item I ordered did not arrive by the Estimated Delivery Date specified on my Summary page (November 18) .

So I clicked on "Contact the Seller," then on the option "I did not receive my item." At that point, I was given two possible answers to my question. One of the "answers" was that the Estimated Delivery Date for the item is December 12!

Why are there two different Estimated Delivery Date deadlines for the exact same item, same purchase? Which one is the real Estimated Delivery Date Deadline after which I can ask for a refund or replacement?

I appreciate any input!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Why are there two different Estimated Delivery Date deadlines for the same item?

@moonpolka wrote:

Why are there two different Estimated Delivery Date deadlines for the exact same item, same purchase? Which one is the real Estimated Delivery Date Deadline after which I can ask for a refund or replacement? 

All I can think of is that there are "between this & that" dates.   An estimated delivery timeframe might be "November 18 - December 12".  Is that what you have? 

No matter what happens, you have 30 days from that LAST estimated delivery date to file a claim on eBay.  That means that since the dates are estimates only and NOT guarantees, once that LAST date passed, you contact the seller and then file a claim as needed.  Use the Resolution Center at the bottom of the page. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I have had this happen before and I know what you are talking about. Only go with the first date for delivery that is on your original order. The second date that appears when you click on the details is a configured made up date from the seller. It's designed to make you think you have much more time for your claim when in fact it's not a date from ebay, it's a date that the seller/scammer has put in there to deceive you. If you look at your ebay summary you will see your original estimated date is still in November not December. You must use the November date or you will be outside your 30 day return ( maybe that's what the seller wants )

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for your response! The "between this & that" dates are listed on the summary. The final date by which I should have received the item is November 18 according to that information. But when I click on "Contact the seller" regarding the item, then click on "I haven't received the item," it gives me a possible answer to my question which says that the final day for delivery is December 12!? So two different final dates. So I'm not sure whether to give the seller more time (Dec 12) or not...
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for your response! Good to know that this second date is a date made up by the seller and not an official date authorized by ebay. Yikes. Shouldn't ebay forbid this sort of thing?!

Did you open a case when this happened to you or were you outside the 30 days?
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Fortunately I was within the 30 days and I didn't fall for it. I almost did however. When I opened my case I told ebay about the second date and they refunded me right away, even when I told them I was willing to wait longer for the item, but I was scared of losing my money back guarantee. Obviously ebay has seen this before. I actually have this happen again to me as we speak, but I won't fall for it, I have already opened up a case.

Must be a popular scam. When you think about it, it's really the only way a scammer can get your money nowadays is delay you so much you are outside the guarantee. There is so many safeguards for buyers that this is really the only scam than can actually work.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You can give the seller more time. Even if you go with the November 18 date, you still have 30 days AFTER November 18 to file a claim on eBay for "Not Received", and on PayPal you have 180 days to file a NR claim. Those dates are provided by eBay not the seller and are way too short for slow mail this close to Christmas.

Even going by the shorter November 18 date then, on eBay you have until Dec 18 to file a claim.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Just to be clear, the PayPal timeframe to file a claim is 180 days after you paid. That means if you have a PP account you can wait a very long time for things and still have close to 6 months to file an NR claim with PP. The PP Resolution Center is under Tools.

On eBay, timeframe to file a claim is always 30 days after the LAST estimated delivery date. The eBay Resolution Center is at the bottom of the page.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The second date that appears when you click on the details is a configured made up date from the seller. It's designed to make you think you have much more time for your claim when in fact it's not a date from ebay, it's a date that the seller/scammer has put in there to deceive you.

I don't think there is any truth to this statement at all.

In any case, if a buyer misses the eBay deadline, she still has 180 days from purchase (not estimated delivery) to Dispute a transaction with Paypal.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply