Canada Post refusing shipments from Europe and other international disruptions due to Covid-19

6 REPLIES 6

Canada Post refusing shipments from Europe and other international disruptions due to Covid-19

Anecdotally I have heard this and read this as well from many EU sellers on different platforms who are saying currently they cannot ship to North America whatsoever as it is in the words of several, "impossible".  It may not be related to Canada Post "refusing" stuff, just that it cant get here at this time due to infrastructure breakdowns.  In Finland apparently their postal system right now is incapable of getting stuff anywhere internationally other than China.  I'm going to check this out further and I'll post the response when/if I hear back.  As a seller it concerns me that if someone cant ship to me due to broken transportation links, how can I expect to send anything to the same country and expect delivery?  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I suspect you will find that your anecdotes deal with shipments headed for the USA not Canada.
I don't do a lot of online buying, but a small purchase from the UK arrived within the original delivery period this week. EBay had changed the delivery deadline to August 5 which mildly upset me. 

Not the seller's fault or responsibility obviously.

The US is still the world's largest single economy (the EU as a whole is larger) and Canada would be as unusual a destination for a small European seller as Greece or Netherlands for us.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

As far as I know, no, its not just about the US.  As I believe I said, from what I've been able to determine there's quite a bit of uncertainty for sellers in the EU about mail transit networks to North America period.  Maybe these countries are unusual for you, but they aren't to me....I have a lot of European customers who send a lot of money my way, and its important for me to know what markets are or aren't safe to re-enter with all the chaos, lack of information and potential misinformation going on.  

Anecdotally I have heard that stuff is getting from Canada to the UK no problem, glad to hear its getting back.  I did just speak with a long time customer in Germany who has ordered stuff from Canada and Japan within the last month and he told me two items from Canada have gotten there in 10 days (normal pre COVID time frame) and 12 days on the other from Japan.  No tracking all regular parcel mail for these three items.  

Interesting you mention Greece as I spoke with a seller there and his exact words to describe his seller experience currently were "its total chaos actually"...he said the system is very backlogged,  and there is no information on international service delays from the Greek postal service, and what info they do get changes daily.  

I expect the experience will be different depending on what country the person is in, but I suspect the experience in places like Belgium, France and Switzerland may be similar to Germanys, but without information from those countries I cant conclude that for sure.  

Personally I've ordered two items from the US in the last month, one on April 17 and the other on April 19.  I got the April 17 item on May 12th and am still waiting on the April 19 item.  Both from the same company.    This scares me a bit as a seller, given how twitchy Americans tend to be about late deliveries.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

"I think..." , "I guess", "Probably..."

I'm telling you the package was returned to the sender by Deutsche Post because Canada Post would not accept it.

Internet experts LOL

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply