Halloween is just about over.

Just sitting here bored and looking at my listings. Last year we had over 120 kids for Halloween - this year we have had 17.

I guess I am going to have to eat a lot of chocolate bars.

They are all likely sitting at home playing video games on their devices - I can just imagine what this generation is going to be like in 15 or 20 years.

The earth is doomed.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Yeah, about 50 chocolate bars and 2 cases of pop still sitting by the front door. Only had about 40 kids here. Wonder if I can auction off the leftovers on ebay before I eat them all?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Are you in a suburb?

With newer (less than 20 years old) suburbs in particular, the entire community is built and settled at once. Then the kids come and grow and reach about thirteen and stop trickortreating.

And since the parents will still own the houses for another twenty years or so, there will be no new kids taking their place.

This is less true in more diverse neighbourhoods. In my old home in Ottawa, our neighbours ranged from newborn to over eighty, and there had been a recent influx of families with elementary school aged kids. In addition, we got a lot of kids from the next neighbourhood which is mostly New Canadians who don't shell out, so their kids came over to ours for treats. Still 20-25 kids was about it.

This year, having been in our house for less than a week, we just hid. Turned off the lights and stayed in back of the house. It looks like the preference here is for a Community Centre party anyway. Bummer.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Not a suburb. Rural area, in a small hamlet, no stores except for one convenience store/gas bar. Homes have been built for 40 years and we have watched the ebb and flow of families during that time. Thought we'd see more children tonight though since a lot of our friends have moved to smaller retirement homes and newer, younger families have moved in. 

Maybe the younger families just don't get the Hallowe'en thing. Or they are helicopter parents and don't want little Jimmy or Jane out on a dark and rainy night.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

In a Burb' figured about 50, had to run out for more stuff, surprising busy.  About 90 total, never know in our area.  Weather was great though and Friday so the little ones were out a bit later.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Working this year for halloween bu my wife took the kids out and my oldest daughter was spiderman .. Which to me to SOOOOOO awesome ... They had a costume thing at her dance class and my wife took pictures... 20 princesses and one Spiderman ...

The best part is why she wanted to be spiderman...

"Daddy I wanna be spiderman but I need my webs that come from my hands so I can help all the good people and stop all the bad people"  of course followed by daddy and mummy can dress up like the bad guys and I can get you with my webs .. LOL

I remember when I was a kid in a town of about 900 I used to have 2 or 3 costumes every year and I would hit up the town figure out who was giving out full chocolat bars and hit them up with the 2nd and 3rd costumes...

FYI Pop is not cool it is too heavy LOL...

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

That is cool.  Lots of groups of little dudes and dudettes this year, not to many older kids.  Nor problem with older kids going out, did it myself, but the little guys are the best.   Parent - "What do you say"... little girl - "I'm a Princess".   Awesome and they are soooo excited.   Nice to have new blood in the neighbourhood.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

My cat is glad it's over.  The poor thing hid under the bed the minute the fireworks started. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply