PayPal Workshop: Thursday, March 24, 1:00-2:00 PM ET

carly@ebay.com
Community Member
Please join us for a question and answer workshop with PayPal Pink: Amanda. The PayPal team will be here to answer all of your questions about PayPal. Please feel free to post questions here in advance, and they will be answered during the workshop.

When: Thurs March 24, from 1-2 PM ET
Where: Canada Town Square
Hosts: PayPal with Amanda the PayPal Pink

Hope you can join us!

Regards,
Carly
Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

it_techie
Community Member
Not sure I will be able to make it, so I will post my questions now.

Is there any chance of getting rid of the £0.20 GBP fixed fee for receiving a PayPal payment for a low value?
Some of the items Im selling at the moment are only going for £1 - £2
That 20p charge represents quite a large percentage at that price.

Also
Will the PayPal Debit Card (Think thats what its called?) be coming to the UK anytime soon?
Message 2 of 67
latest reply

it_techie
Community Member
Misread the date, I thought it was this Thursday ?:|
Maybe I can make it on the 24th
Message 3 of 67
latest reply

rurallynnyart
Community Member
Hi,

I have all kinds of items that I want to sell on EBay, but I'm terrified of being a victim of fraud. I keep reading and hearing about Paypal treating sellers poorly. Lately, a new trend is that a buyer will purchase an item, pay for it, complete the feedback and then a month later will claim he did not receive the item and then chargebacks are made on the seller's credit card or bank account. Also, I read that Paypal frequently freezes bank accounts or transfers funds without reason. I just don't want to be ripped off. How can I sell on EBay with Paypal without giving out a bank account number? I just want a risk free way of selling.
Message 4 of 67
latest reply

kira180b
Community Member
Is there any chance of having one of these workshops in the evening or on a weekend? Those of us who work don't get to participate!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 5 of 67
latest reply

kinglien1958
Community Member
other than GST, can PayPal also add PST when buyer paying?
Message 6 of 67
latest reply

kashka
Community Member
Good point,kira..I haven't yet been able to "attend" one of these or be around when a pink is around because I work days.Be nice if they have some these things at least once in awhile in the evening so those who work days could participate.
Message 7 of 67
latest reply

carly@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi kira180b, and kashka,

eBay Pinks keep normal business hours during the day also, so evening workshops are not possible on the boards. That being the case, we do tack the workshop threads to the top of the board so you can come back in afterwards and read the discussion. If you have specific questions that you want to ask for PayPal, please leave them on this thread, and you can come back in later and see the answers.

Regards,
Carly
Message 8 of 67
latest reply

secondtimesthecharm
Community Member
Good morning Carly,

Confirmed with PayPal, unconfirmed with ebay. Who needs to talk to who? Based on several posts in a previous thread, I am not the only person in this situation.

Vicki
secondtimesthecharm
-------------------------------------------
*WARNING: Subject appears tame but provokes easily. Approach with caution,
chocolate and jewelry.
Message 9 of 67
latest reply

paypalamanda@ebay.com
Community Member
Thank you for joining us today. We are very excited about our Canadian community and are excited that you have taken time to join us today for this workshop. Attending today are folks from PayPal’s business, marketing, and product management teams. PayPal “Pink” Amanda will be posting on behalf of the attendees.

To long-term users of PayPal, we hope that our service has been valuable to you as a safe, fast and easy way to send and receive online payments. To those of you who are curious about PayPal and want to learn more before signing up, we hope that this workshop will provide you with useful information before taking that next step.

In the spirit of two-way learning, we also hope to learn from you during this workshop to enable us to continue to improve our service offering to you. As a direct result of feedback from the community we have introduced some significant improvements for Canadian users in the past 18 months:

a) Provide users with the option to fund their PayPal account from their bank accounts
b) Integrate PayPal into the eBay.ca marketplace site
c) Provide improved buyer protection via the PayPal Buyer Protection program

We hope that you have found these improvements beneficial.

With that said, we would like to start the workshop by posting answers to some commonly asked questions. After that, we’ll be happy to take your questions.

Thanks again for coming today!
Message 10 of 67
latest reply

paypalamanda@ebay.com
Community Member
What does PayPal do to protect buyers?

PayPal is committed to providing its users with the safest online transactions in the industry. Today, PayPal protects buyers through 1) PayPal Buyer Protection, which covers buyers for losses up to CAD$1,250 from tangible items that were either never received or not as described, and 2) PayPal’s Buyer Complaint Process, which is a process to help buyers and sellers resolve disputes without issuing a chargeback.
Message 11 of 67
latest reply

paypalamanda@ebay.com
Community Member
What’s verification and why is it important to me?

Account verification is a PayPal account status that tells the community whether PayPal has verified your financial instruments and your geographic location. Canadian users choose to become verified to lift their sending limit and boost creditability with online merchants worldwide. PayPal verifies users as part of our effort to promote a safe payments platform for our community. To become verified, Canadian users 1) Add and confirm a bank account and 2) complete one of the following two things: a) validate their credit card or b) validate their physical location.

How is verification different from confirmation?

Confirmation applies to two areas: 1) bank accounts and 2) addresses.

Confirmed bank account is a PayPal account status. It shows whether the user has added a bank account and confirmed the ownership of that bank account. Canadian users add and confirm a bank account because it’s part of the verification process and because they want to enable bank account funding.

Confirmed address is a PayPal account status that shows whether PayPal was able to confirm the user’s credit card billing address. To have a confirmed address, PayPal must be able to match the billing address provided in your PayPal account with the billing address on file at your card issuer.
Message 12 of 67
latest reply

paypalamanda@ebay.com
Community Member
You mentioned that I can now fund my PayPal account using my bank account. Why did you introduce this feature and how does it work?

We are very excited about this feature. We have learned from the community in Canada and other countries that users like to have options other than credit card for funding their PayPal accounts. Some users particularly value this option because they feel that they can better manage their budgets with bank account funding than credit card funding.

To start funding from your bank account, all you need to do is provide your bank account information to PayPal and complete the bank account confirmation process. As part of the confirmation process, we will make two small deposits into your bank account. To complete confirmation, we ask you to come back to PayPal’s website to confirm the amount of the deposits to verify that it’s in fact your bank account. From there, you are ready to fund your PayPal account using this linked bank account.
Message 13 of 67
latest reply

graphiglobe
Community Member
Becoming verified is of interest to me, but I'm also concerned about the things I've read about how PayPal operates. The word on the Web is not good. PayPal already has my bank account information so I can collect monies in my account. I'm concerned about also giving my credit card information. How do you address the concerns I'm sure many people have about PayPal due to the numerous reports of horror stories dealing with PayPal. I've had a few buyers who've paid in other methodologies because they've had bad experiences with PayPal. I want to use PayPal's services to their fullest extent, but I'm concerned about exposing myself too much. I don't really trust PayPal to be a good customer service driven vendor. This is not from my personal experience, but I don't want to learn the hard way.
Message 14 of 67
latest reply

paypalamanda@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi graphiglobe,

PayPal requires users to provide certain personal information and go through confirmation and verification processes. It’s done in the interest of all PayPal members to maintain a secure online transaction environment.

PayPal is committed to handling your customer information with high standards of information security. Your credit card and bank account information are stored only in encrypted form on computers that are not connected to the Internet. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with regulations to guard your non-public personal information. We test our security systems regularly and also contract with outside companies to audit our security systems and processes.

We believe that PayPal payments are actually safer and more private than your typical online payments because we don’t disclose your financial information to your trading partner. Your financial information is only disclosed once, and that’s to PayPal when adding your bank account or credit card to your PayPal account.
Message 15 of 67
latest reply

graphiglobe
Community Member
But what about the numerous stories of PayPal itself charging members for things that are often inexplicable. It makes PayPal look like it's almost criminal at times, and skirting the edge of legality. I'm sure there are many people who only use PayPal as sellers because we have to, but are concerned about using PayPal as a buyer because giving PayPal too much access to financial instruments like credit cards and other bank accounts, which leaves them vulnerable. How can PayPal assure me that I won't become a victim of it's methodologies?
Message 16 of 67
latest reply

jesdifa
Community Member
Couldn't there be another way to confim my address other than a credit card? I mean, mail me a form and I fill it out and send it back for instance?

Another question I have is why is on-line tracking the ONLY acceptable means of proof of shipping an item. To purchase the same from Canada post is often cost-prohibitive and were we to ship this way every time, we would lose almost ALL our sales due to the fact that Americans can ship cheaper. I frequently use Canada POst small packets to send out items as it is the most reasonable form of shipping and keeps me competitive(or at least close). With that, I must fill out a small form with both my address and the receiver's address on it. It is then date stamped by Canada Post. Why couldn't this be an acceptable means of providing proof? It shows both the shipper AND the reciever's exact addresses AND it is date stamped as well.

Message 17 of 67
latest reply

paypalamanda@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi graphiglobe

A follow up to you first post:

PayPal is committed to providing the best customer support to our community. We currently have in place a dedicated PayPal customer support center. PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you from 4:00 AM PST to 10:00 PM PST every day. We also continue to evaluate ways of improving our levels of support.
Message 18 of 67
latest reply

graphiglobe
Community Member
Yes, I agree with jesdifa about the proof of shipping. The online tracking method puts Canadian sellers at a significant disadvantage as our shipping options and costs to US buyers is much more limited and expensive. The only way to be competitive with US sellers often means we must use small packet service or something similar which does not provide online tracking. Could we not submit a digital image of the shipping slip or something to this effect? Maybe that would be tough on PayPal server storage, but maybe it could be used as a proof of shipping upon request if needed. What do you think?
Message 19 of 67
latest reply

pleasedonotcheatme
Community Member
What guarantees can paypal offer to safeguard our information form the greatest threat to our sensitive information... its own employees. Financial information held in databases has a real value to outside interests who pay large sums of money to employees in exchange for this information.
Message 20 of 67
latest reply