Signature Required

My voice on    Signature Required,      Safe Drop,     Oversize, Customs/C.O.D.  by Canada Post

Canada Post delivers to more addresses all over this Great Country of Ours than any other carrier company,           NOTE :       All Over.         Maybe everyone should check out the statistics.                                      You bet they could be doing a much better job.

During this Covid-19 pandemic and what ever is to come,  a lot  of people do not want to open the door to strangers or to sign for parcels or letters etc.   Canada Post could send all signature items,   safe drop items,  oversize items, customs/C.O.Ds.  to your local RPO  (retail postal outlet)    ie: shoppers drugs etc.            forcing you the customer to go get it.   

I totally agree the price  for some of the services offered should be changed and that they could/should be doing a much better job,   (Before this crisis, during and after)

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Signature Required

I disagree on one point: I stay at home, because I can work from home. So I want my postman to ring the bell so I can answer and get my package right away. I do not have a car, so going to the postal outlet every time would be a BIG PITA. I prefer when my postman gives me my packages in person.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Signature Required

I agree with the basic premise of having Signature Confirmed (and likely valuable even if the value is emotional) items only available at the PO.

But since part of the point of self-isolation is keeping us apart while the Plague runs through us (Canada hit 100,000 confirmed cases today, and that's just those who have been tested.)  and sending many people to the PO for pickups works against that.

Perhaps the answer is Delivery by Appointment.  Although the mechanics of that would be difficult too.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Signature Required

Now when you attempt a rate check at Canadapost the options for Signature and Delivery Confirmation(Canada) are greyed out for all services vs the option of choosing them. They only becomes an available---- a greyed out option at Xpresspost for both options to the USA. Makes it seem like it's automatically included when in actuality only applies in very limited circumstances or entirely at a carriers discretion. As noted on the US boards with USPS  the carrier can ask the consignee to initial on their behalf. (Last 2 screenshots are USA) If it is something that is still be charged for it's impossible to tell.

CANADA

Signature Service.JPG

US Delivery options.JPGXpresspost delivery option.JPG

-Lotz

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Signature Required

Xpresspost USA always had Signature included as a feature ever since I can remember and I started Selling in 2009 on eBay. No extra charge. Not Xpresspost Canada or Xpresspost International where it was always an option with a fee.

As to whether Xpresspost USA Package actually collects a signature when USPS delivers the item I do not know what USPS policy is for collecting signature during this pandemic.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Signature Required

Going by reports here and on the dotCOM Boards, no carrier including UPS and USPS, is actually getting Signatures at this time.

In my opinion, your best bet would be to mark outgoing packages NO SAFE DROP /HOLD FOR PICKUP which tells the carrier to hold the package at his office until the recipient arrives with ID to retrieve it.

This should be marked both on the label, if there is a spot, or with a Sharpie in large Trumpian letters. 

Then it' s up to the carrier to follow through.

US buyers have hissy fits about this because their POs are only open 8-6, six days a weeks which is obviously impossible to deal with and probably unconstitutional. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply