Strange or Silly Things Operating a Business

May years ago I along with 2 other people had a Antique Store in a small town. A fantastic location on the main street of a beautiful town. This town has been used numerous times  in movies and tv over the years.  The building we rented used to be a General Store with many of the original features still intact.  Wall To Wall  to Ceilng Shelving, original tin panel ceilings. large windows for display  purposes and some of the original lighting fixtures. A great setting for Antiques. This same building and interior  was used in the TV Show Anne With A "E"  many  years later

The Shop was devided in half with us having the front section and the back was used for a Newspaper.  Not the largest of places but suited our needs.  We had a General Store Counter along part of one wall and set the shop up as a oval. Could comfortably have about 12 or so folk in at a time

One of my most memorable times and silliest in the Shop was when 2 customers tried to kick me out of my own shop  

One afternoon was sitting behind the counter working on recently acquired stock, this couple walked in ( no one else in the shop)  I greeted them told them if they needed help let me know and I continued on with what I was doing.  

About 5 minutes later heard voices being raised  and a lot of yelling going on.  Looked up they were in a full fledged argument with each other.   They were really going at each other.  I just sat there  wishing they would go away with this foolishness. The Woman spotted me and said to me "GET OUT OF HERE this is a Private conversation and none of your buisiness"

Hmmmm  I had to state the obvious to them  they were in my shop and I was going nowhere but they should either consider toning down their dispute or perhaps leave. I stayed quite polite in a normal voice and not upset. Told them they were more than welcome to stay but I sure as heck was not leaving

Dead Silence for a few moments they looked very embarrassed apologized and left

The folk in the Paper came in after  and asked what happened?  I Could not answer at first I was laughing so hard

That was Something I would have never expected to happen  Being Kicked out of my Own Store *Chuckle just one of the things that can happen when operating  a business 

weavers

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

When on a road trip, I went into a small town antique shop to browse around and upon entering, the owner said to me " I have to step out for a few minutes, so please mind the store" and left. I thought huh?, wha? It was novel to say the least. Upon return, no explanation was offered by the owner or requested by me. One other customer had come in to look around and left. Unusual events like this tend to stick in the memory.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

There is a YouTuber  out of Edmonton who runs a business called Curiousity Inc.

Which is also his YT channel.

He bought and renovated an old store to have the feeling of a general store. Fun to watch although he hasn't really worked out that when he is unpacking new purchases he shouldn't try to hold his camera at the same time.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Good story @rcrawford34 ! I used to own a musical intrument store on a busy street two blocks from the Hells angels clubhouse. Never a problem with them but do have stories. Where I did have a problem was my musical school was on the lower floor with a seperate entrance off the rear parking lot. There was a string of small business neighbours there.  The "strange and silly thing" was this; 

It was a hot south facing parking lot. At 3:30, just when our young music students would start coming for their lessons, the wife of one of my neighbours would sometimes sunbath topless right outside our entrance. 

I didn't know this was going on until one of the parents (a plastic surgeon) told me. He thought it was hillarious. Me, not so much....

Message 4 of 4
latest reply