We Had A Visitor At The Market I Do On Sunday

I sell at a Local Market many Sundays near me  it has been going for approx 45 years.  Held in the towns Fair Grounds it has Vendors in the Main Fair Grounds Building and also outside. Depending on the time of year and weather can have anywhere from 5 or 6 Vendors up to 50 plus or so outside

I have been there for 37 plus years. For the first 5 years I set up inside but since am outside each time I do it.   I have a booth under a Large Open sided Shelter so really helps when the weather is not so great

Last Sunday it was overcast chilly and had periods of rain so not as many folk out and about but still did okay and was able to purchase some items

We had a visitor which was a first for this market. In 37 years have never seen it happen before 

Sitting at my booth saw some movement in a Booth across from me looking up  saw what I thought was a Dog in it. The Vendor was not in the booth. Not unusual lots of the neighbourhood pooches visit there. Looking Closer though realized it was not a dog but a Fox!  The little guy at first explored around the booth under the tables but then hopped up on one of the tables and settled down on it for 10 to 15 minutes

Was not aggressive or acting strange he appeared to be very calm and relaxed.  He just appeared to be very curious of the setting and the few odd folk about.   He then hopped down and came to my booth exploring it around the front and back under the tables etc but did not get on top of the tables.  This was with me in the booth did not mind I was there at all. Of course I moved away was not taking any chances strange most of these critters don't want to be around people but this guy seemed to want to visit

Found the owner of the market to make him aware of what was going on and he walked behind the fox guiding him away from the market proper. Took awhile the little fellow decided he also needed to explore the vehicles that were around too. Finally left the grounds and was not seen again

After thought This was a "Sad State of Affairs"  At that point very few humans out and about and the only one that was showing any attention to the booths was The Fox.  I was pretty sure he had no Cash to spend :>)- which was a shame he sure had the interest  and also seemed to enjoy himself while he was there. If he had hopped on my booth he could have examined a book I have about raising Silver Foxes  in Canada and The U'S Circa 1918 

weavers

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I'm thinking it was a young pup exploring the world around him. A word of caution: foxes are known to often be infected with rabies. They are a beautiful and interesting animal to obseve from a safe distance. The colour variations of their fur is often surprising.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@rcrawford34 

Too bad you didn't have any Red Foxx videos. If he found and grabbed it would been Fox on the Run. Not really a Sweet deal but makes life interesting!! <Sorry... though board needed a small amount of levity with current world events>

Kinda like Dash and grab...Or eBay buyers can't bother to pay. Very annoying when it happens to you!!

-Lotz

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I used to live in a rural area when I was younger and have a healthy respect for wild animals and boundries about how close to get to them with the chance of Rabies being high on the list with many.  Love seeing them and spending time observing them but have always kept my distance when I can. Usually works but did have a time I came very close and personal with one that was completely unplanned and unexpected

One more Fox story

In the mid 70's I lived in Haliburton County and worked for a organization that cared for High Need Children in a residential setting.  One of the homes I worked in (there were 12 of them) was also a working farm. We had cows Highland Cattle  horses pigs ducks geese chickens etc that were cared for by the Area Directors who lived near us

One night after we had gotten the kidets to bed (been a very long day all were running   on High Octane that day) myself and 2 other staff were sitting in the Kitchen going over the day.  I had to get something from my car so went out to it.  Off the kitchen was a mudroom and the door had a large window.  Coming back in went to open the door and it was locked. They locked me out as a joke and waved at me.  Okay being silly I wanted back in and kept knocking and they kept waving.  Felt something rubbing against my leg and thought it was one of the cats we had.  Looking down I froze it was not a cat but a Fox. Little guy wrapped himself around my leg :>0!!!!!!

All I could think of was Rabies!!!!!  this was not normal by any  means   I was very concerned and panicked but knew not to make any fast movement in case he bit me etc

Standing at the door I looked in and kept knocking and they kept waving at me for a few minutes then realized something was wrong. Me thinks they finally realized the look on my face was Pure Fear not fun. 

One came over opened the door and the next thing that happened was I came running in none to happy and the Fox did too. He went tearing through the kitchen and living room then upstairs to the Bedrooms where the kids were. (Doors were kept open so we could easily chack on them) and the fox bounded over the kids beds

That was it . 3 Very Freaked out adults Very freaked out kids and a fox that kept on going.  A very Hectic 5 to 10 minutes before the fox came down and exited the building. Fortunatley all that happened that we were freaked, no aggression on the foxes part. 

Formost our concern was for the kids and we spent a very interesting few hours getting them calmed down again and back to sleep 

After we looked out and sure enough the fox was curled up on the step at the door . Quite concerned I  phoned the Area Director and told her what happened 

What she said next floored me

No concern in her Voice she said "Oh , That's Foxy my pet fox no need to worry he is quite friendly and tame". Apparently hung around their place for about 6 months  or so. Got to the point it used to come into their place and visit

I nearly Blasted her but decided not to  since she was the one I worked for and thought on top of everything else did not want t take the chance of losing my job by tearing into her but it sure was tempting

I finally settled down could chuckle about it after but still thought what was she thinking? It's a wild animal

The next day  a Fox was shot about a 1/4 mile from us  exhibiting Rabies. It was not Foxy. She and her husband rethought having the little criiter around and it was moved to a area away from people and not seen again

We also had a dump near where I lived one day throwing garbage bags over the incline.  Doing this the sound of the bags landing did not seem right . Went to the edge looked and realized I had been beaning a black bear on the head. He was so pleased with the bags he looked at me and continued on  Going to the car to leave 3 more bears arrived.

As I was leaving a car came up with a couple and 3 small children in it. I pulled up to them and told them to be careful because there were bears close by

Driving away looked back the 3 small children were running up to the bears and petting them. Instead of being concerned the parents were taking pictures

Shades of Gentle Ben  (a TV show of the time  about a tame bear) Could not believe the stupidity being exhibited by them

The bears just walked away but could have easily gone another way

weavers

Message 4 of 4
latest reply