Well that was interesting...

Well that was interesting.
A house just drove by my house.
I wanted to take a movie, but I don't know how.
Many of the homes here are small bungalows, on properties with an average value approaching a million dollars or so.
People buy for the lot, and the houses rather than being torn down are removed, late at night.
We've seen some being held for sale up Island in Comox, but others go over to Port Angeles in the USA where they are reinstalled as cottages or permanent homes.IMG_4958.JPGIMG_4959.JPGIMG_4965.JPG
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I have seen few houses moved by companies over the years, quite impressive how they do it.  Course really messed up the traffic flow when taking place

Last one I watched was a old farmhouse located on a busy road running through our city. This property was  a functioning farm til the late 50's or early 60's. Then the land was divided for lots and smaller homes were built there. A company bought the property and there are now Condiminiums on the site. 

The Home was purchased by a couple and moved about 3 or 4 km's over from there.  It was a sizable Dwelling 2 stories high with a Attic and  wrap around porch.  Took a few days to do it

The building  was moved to some land that is located on the top of a fair sized hill overlooking that part of the city. It now stands there and apparently was renovated inside and out maintaining it's Historical significance.  Very sharp looking place. I have never gone up to see it close up but looks great where it is. Was quite the feat getting it up there

Done in the mid  90's must have been quite the expense to do so but now wonder what it would now be worth with the way property values have rose here.  Pretty sure they would make a pretty profit now

About 20 years ago there was a couple of older dwellings just north of here across from the  River (located in the city proper)  that were being removed for other dwellings.

The company did not want to demolish them they had historical significance but had no place for them. They offered them up for sale for $1.00 a piece. the buyer responsible for moving them. Tried for  months to do so and no takers so were finally levelled

A shame they were good looking places that needed renovations but would have been great redone

weavers

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

There was a small lighthouse here in Digby at the Ferry terminal built in the 1970's and it was given to Saint John New Brunswick 30 years ago. A few years ago Saint John didn't want it and Digby took it back to save it from demolition.  It was on a flatbed truck - kind of cool to see it coming home again. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

A friend on Saltspring Island told me that it is popular  to buy those moved houses for installment there.

Because the Island is a rock poking out of the ocean, there is no possiblity of a basement, so the new homeowner builds a concrete pad.
It is less expensive to buy the entire complete house, install it, hook it up to services, and do renovations than to buy or build new.

Plus all that old growth wood that doesn't go to the dump.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply