What Do You Collect?

Over the years I have collected certain items but right now am in between Collections

Got into the business collecting Post Cards. I rented a apartment in a older home that the University owned that  I went to.  Moving down to a smaller one when I went to Teachers College ( My Ex stayed to complete her degree) they allowed me to clean out an attached garage  and found 2 small pieces of paper that fascinated me.  I got hooked. Being a poor student could not afford my collection at first. I was buying $100.00 plus cards  so I started my business. At first all money went into my Collection the realized that was not working  stopped collecting and continued on.   Have over the years had other Post Card Collections keep them for awhile then move on. Same with some other items.  

Now only have kept a few things That I will not part with.  For the fist Time in 37 years have kept an old toy.  A Circa 1920 Windup Elephant from Paris France.   A Good Balance we decorate our place with our better  items that  we sell between shows etc. When they sell replace them with others

My other half does collect certain items.   She loves Small Vintage Canadian Peanut Butter Pails.  My collecting urges are satisfied with finding them for her. 

Got her three very hard to find ones for Christmas.   Bought 3 about 3 weeks before.  I had a heck of a Time not just giving them to her. Fought with myself every minute of the day

Course have had many over the time I have sold items.  These are gone.   Have to shake my head she searches for them finds some she would love to have. Shows me them and I say "Yep had that one and sold it, had that one and sold it etc"  Really wish she had started the Collection years before 

Probably will start another collection for myself at some point. Cannot wait to see what I get Into

What do you Collect?

weavers

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What Do You Collect?

Besides books?

Firefly/Serenity comics and graphic novels.

Royalty on tins. (Lapsed)

Milk glass.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

What Do You Collect?

Books.

Antique T. Eaton Co items (not blankets)

Antique Hatpins.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

What Do You Collect?

I had many collections over the years. But the ones I'm probably gonna keep forever are my Bon Jovi and Xena collections. Although I do not add many items these days.

The collection I'm currently into are props / wardrobe from TV shows. I do sell some of them from time to time.

My collection of wrestling t-shirts is also growing. My favourites are Edge and Drew McIntyre.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

What Do You Collect?

Historic memorabilia relating to the worlds greatest city. Hamilton Ontario grinning

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

What Do You Collect?

I have collected many different themes in my life time from Star Trek  and Star Wars original items, coins, stamps, very old china 100 plus years,  1956 Western Flyer bus and other antique cars, 1901 piano box wagon, antique furnature, really anything old and interesting to me. I think that is how I met my spouse! Last year a had a near death experience ( me and the reeper were arm wrestling and I won this time ) I realized my children and grandchildren did not share nor value these items. I had each one go through everything and take what they wanted or cherished from me as a gift. Then I asked them if I die would you want these items. No was the answer so I began selling them on ebay and other venues. That experience left me to understand that collecting is great while I am here but it will just be discarded to charity when I gone so why not make money on it now.  I'm sure the kids will appreciate my house not so packed with my items and cherish the ones I already gave them.  I have donated some antique dishes to the national and local museums along with my airplane related items. Had some WW1 leather scull caps with headset and names to local museum. Locally significant items went to local museums also. Now I look for items that I can acquire for the museums for all to enjoy that is my new collecting vice.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

What Do You Collect?

Since I was a small child I've collected one thing or another:

Toys

Records

Stamps

Coins

Comic Books

Sunday Funnies pages

Star Trek memorabilia

Animation (on Beta, VHS and LD)

I've learned to scale back on collecting now that I'm older.

I have a bare minimum of movies and British TV that I find I will watch more than other titles. I own original artwork that lines my shelves at home. They're one off pieces of drawings by comic artists and cartoonists and "knick knacks" made from ceramic or wood of Beatrix Potter characters, Paddington Bear and The World of Richard Scarry characters.

I still collected records until ten years ago. There was an unfortunate discovery that two of the cats we owned had sharpened their claws on my collection. Needless to say, I don't collect records anymore.

I also love to collect watches. I believe there are watches for different events, different days of the week and watches to go with the clothes you wear. Watches can be an accessory or a statement. I own nothing expensive of the like you would find in Robert Downey Jr's collection but one day, perhaps I will.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply