What Is Your Favorite Purchase Purchase From Ebay or From Other Sources

I have been dealing in Old Postcards for 35 years.  Love those little pieces of Paper and Correspondence. They tell so much about the past and one can get a greater understanding of the time peoples hopes and dreams  at times their prejudices  seeing advancements in the world through the views etc

One of my favorite purchases on ebay was a Vintage Titanic Post Card circa 1912. A side view of the liner it also listed the specs of the ship date of the tragedy etc. Not a uncommon view and at that time was worth about $200.00.  I found one at a great price  and purchased it.  The listing only showed the front of the card

Took about a week to receive it  The card was in great shape.  Turned it over to examine the backing and nearly fell off the chair because of what was on it

It was an Advertisement promoting the first Movie based on the disaster

Revere Beach was a Amusement Park  Just outside of Boston Mass.  

The Park made arrangements to go  on the ship that was sent out to recover the bodies from the Titanic to film the area where the ship sank.  It was agreed they could as long as there was no filming of the bodies etc. They agreed only to film the ocean and the iceburgs  to be used in a film they were planning to produce.  (approx 100 yrs later a film was found of the recovery of the bodies which they did on the sly)

After the Park set up a film stage and produced a 11 to 13 minute film depicting the sinking of the Titanic.  The movie was premiered at the Park 3 weeks after the sinking making it the first Titanic Movie. They were criticized about how they depicted the ship sinking no one believed it happened the way they showed it.  It was not until the ship was located in the 1980's that it showed the film had predicted it properly.  They had spoke to survivors and had first hand accounts of it going down

The backing of this post card promoted the World Premier of the Film giving the date location  and time of it's viewing

A very difficult card to find. I was very happy to get the card when I thought it was just showing the ship but was over the moon when I saw what was on the back.  Kept it for about 6 yrs then sold it.  Have not seen this card with advertising since. 

Offline one of my favorite Post Card Finds was also related to the Titanic. I purchased 2 Post Card albums that were chalk full  of Ship Post Cards circa 1910 to 1918. Ended up with 25  to 30 Original Titanic Cards, 10 or 15 Olympic Post Cards (The Titanics sister ship)  as well as The Luisitania  The Empress of Ireland (about 10 of those) and other major ships of the time

A few yrs later bought another Album of cards at a Yard sale.  Unfortunately this album did have Titanic Cards but these had already been sold   When I got home spotted a RPPC  of a attractive Woman taken in a ships studio .There is no id on it but shows the top part of the photographers name and logo of a ship which may be the Titanic.  Both are unidentifiable.  The people who sold me the album told me this was a family album and their Grandparents had been on the Titanic and saved (went back to find them to see what this was about but they had moved :>( )

So do I have a original card taken in The Titanic's Photo Studio ? Still not sure doing research but if so   It's a Very hard item to find item

what was your's?

weavers

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Oh wow - mine isn't as cool a tale to tell as yours, but I have a few:

• Growing up, eBay was the best and only place to find Star Trek action figures. I remember getting my first order of them and being the happiest 13 year old around (my mom did all the bidding, but my allowance paid for it). It was that experience that really set eBay apart in my mind as a place where you could get anything worth getting.
  • In my early 20s I desperately wanted a copy of my favorite childhood computer game, and eBay sellers delivered again. I got into a bidding war and paid far more than it was probably worth, but the sentimental factor overrode everything else.
  • One of my favorite recent purchases (and this is really mundane) was a pair of jeans a few years ago. It was an eBay purchase, I got a great deal, and when the jeans arrived I was floored: they had been carefully wrapped in tissue paper, tied with a ribbon and it included a little handwritten note and a candy cane (around Christmas time). It was a regular pair of used jeans, but I have gone back to that seller multiple times because of the obvious care and attention to detail I received. 

Thanks for letting me share! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

I'm going a bit off topic here but you will get used to it. I tend to do this

In 1994 when my Grandfather passed  My Mother went to Toronto a few days before the Funeral. She booked a room in a Nice Hotel on Yonge Street about a km from the church

Arriving at the Hotel  she was informed they had to change  her room for another one not the same quality. She asked why and they told her William Shatner  was staying at the Hotel the same days and he required that when he stayed the rooms around his would not be booked. He paid for them but did not want others around him.  

As an apology they had arranged for her to meet him

My Mom who overall was pretty trim and proper and never used dicey  language but with this  went off on them. Told them to cancel the Reservation she would go elsewhere which she did  

Phoned me that night and told me she had changed Hotels. I asked why and she said The Blankety Blank Hotel changed my Reservation and told me why

She was a bit animated doing so  Said to me "They were going to introduce me to William Shatner as an apology! " Why the blankety blank would I want to meet Captain Kirk"?!!!

Did my best not to laugh. Had never heard her talk that way

After she would laugh about it and  said she would always remember the first time she used dirty words

weavers

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

That's incredible @weaversofspeech! I can't say that I'd be rushing to meet with him either, but Patrick Stewart will always by 'my' captain, with a close second of Kate Mulgrew. 

I'd be so put out by that as well - a good use of blankity-blank by your mum for certain. 😉 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

A number of years ago I went out to a Local Flea Market I have been involved with since 1984.  I had a store with a friend at that point so did not set up there at that point. Did not have a lot of time needed to be at the store.  We have lots of outside vendors there each Sunday in good weather. Some are regs some not

A couple showed up they had renovated a house and found numerous items the were selling.  Looked in a box I spotted a Stuffed Minnie Mouse Circa 1933.  Shaking I don't do well with a Poker Face  asked a price and purchased it

It was From McCall Patterns. In 1933 they produced packages of both Minnie and Mickey in 3 sizes  one could put together

this one was a medium size

Incredibly hard to find

during the depression enterprising seamstresses would purchase these and make them and display in their shops etc

Copyrighted they were not allowed to be resold but the folk would have folk come in and offer to buy them. Were told they could not sell them but if one would have "X" amount of alterations done they would give them one

many folk put themselves through the Depression doing this

I sold this item for $1200.00

while there was looking through other items they had and picked up a  paper bag. Realized had no more time so put it down and left

A few hours later my friend who was in the store with me came in Grinning like a Cheshire Cat and brought out a Advertising Cabinet Card From Underwood and Underwood Publishers ( a famous company that did a lot of Stereo Views

The card showed a actual Photo of a Beautiful Nude (Circa 1917) wearing a Santa Hat  high button shoes and carrying a Santa Toy Bag.  She was reclining on a large wooden carved Reindeer and was Titled "Bearing Our Best Wishes" It was very very Unique

I flipped until he told me it was not for sale

well that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull

I'm very very good at whining (have done it for 64 years I can beat any kid hands down) so started up within 5 minutes I owned it!  Purchased it for $175.00 My friend looked frazzled and said you win!

found out he looked in the bag I did not at the market and there it was.  He bought it for $25.00

*chuckle  kicked myself for not taking the extra second to look at it but was thrilled at the price I got it for

Started taking it to shows.  At The Toronto Toys Show ( I seem to do really well at toys shows 

selling nudes) a younger woman came up and fell in love with it.   Offered her a price she could not purchase it

Next Toy Show had it out again same woman appeared

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Next Toy Show had it out again same woman appeared again wanted it but no go

Third time out I was standing at my booth and actually felt daggers on my neck and back. Turned around there she was  looking none to pleased. She demanded to know where it was. I pointed it out to her and she got embarrassed and apologized for her tone

Told me she had been obsessing about it had driven her family nuts and when she did not see it thought it was gone. Told me she really wanted it but could not pay right away. I told her if she gave me $100.00 down I would hold it til the next show a few moments later.  She was thrilled and did 

Got home from the show there was a message from her.  She wanted to meet in Toronto the next day she had the money and did not want  to wait. Arranged to meet her at the International Centre the next day. What we did not realize was the Gift Show had started there. It was insane there took me 1 hour to find a parking spot then had to enter the show (snuck in without paying to get to where I was supposed to meet her)  That was fun just attached my self to groups of people who were there and acted like I was supposed to be there. Finally got through took the exit and found her. Deal was done in a few minutes and she left happy

I got $500 for this and still miss the dang thing!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply