When you want to Buy Something (and the Hampster Falls Off The Wheel)

Like millions of others I at times am going Stir Crazy at times  during the Pandemic but have usually found ways to fill my time

One thing I really miss is going out Antique Picking.  Have many great items I have found along the way but there is always room for more (or I keep trying convince myself there is, shaking head)

Pre Pandemic  on weekends we used to get in the car early in the morning point the car in a direction and see where we end up at. Sometimes very close to home and only out a few hours  other times 400 km's to 600 km's away and gone all day.  At times successful other times not so much, but that is the fun of doing so, one never knows

Picking up items has been few and far between now.  See items online on ebay etc but once factoring in the price shipping etc know it's not realistic

Did find a item last night on Kijiji (Had been listed 5 minutes before).  It does not appear often.  I got very excited figured I could go buy it maintain distance etc and not be out long.  The more I looked at it the more I wanted it so went to contact the guy through email saying it's sold I will be there within 20 to 30 minutes if he gave me a time. Actually started typing the response and came incredibly close to sending it 

Then it dawned on Me At this point I don't have a Car to use.  On Saturday mine decided I need to spend money on it broke down and cannot move. It has been towed to my mechanics and hopefully will be ready this afternoon. DUH!  guess I could have taken a cab but out of town it was going to be quite expensive to do so  and  with that added cost plus the price of the item was not worth it. Plus I really was not into a 20 or 30 km walk

It has sold :>(  knew it would not last long,  there will be others just not sure when

weavers

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@rcrawford34 wrote:

Like millions of others I at times am going Stir Crazy at times  during the Pandemic but have usually found ways to fill my time

One thing I really miss is going out Antique Picking.  Have many great items I have found along the way but there is always room for more (or I keep trying convince myself there is, shaking head)

Pre Pandemic  on weekends we used to get in the car early in the morning point the car in a direction and see where we end up at. Sometimes very close to home and only out a few hours  other times 400 km's to 600 km's away and gone all day.  At times successful other times not so much, but that is the fun of doing so, one never knows

Picking up items has been few and far between now.  See items online on ebay etc but once factoring in the price shipping etc know it's not realistic

Did find a item last night on Kijiji (Had been listed 5 minutes before).  It does not appear often.  I got very excited figured I could go buy it maintain distance etc and not be out long.  The more I looked at it the more I wanted it so went to contact the guy through email saying it's sold I will be there within 20 to 30 minutes if he gave me a time. Actually started typing the response and came incredibly close to sending it 

Then it dawned on Me At this point I don't have a Car to use.  On Saturday mine decided I need to spend money on it broke down and cannot move. It has been towed to my mechanics and hopefully will be ready this afternoon. DUH!  guess I could have taken a cab but out of town it was going to be quite expensive to do so  and  with that added cost plus the price of the item was not worth it. Plus I really was not into a 20 or 30 km walk

It has sold :>(  knew it would not last long,  there will be others just not sure when

weavers

Hey...The old expression the Early Weaver catches the worm. Beaten by another weaver to the punch you could say. Too bad on it selling. Just be grateful it wasn't a car part you needed to pick up!!! 🙂

-Lotz

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

We had (vaccinated) friends over for a porch visit and she mentioned seeing stamp collections listed on MaxSold, which seems to be an international auction site for house clearance auctions.

He checked the Victoria site, and was interested.

Like a lot of non-collectors, the sellers had poorly described and badly photographed the collection, but there did seem to be some value there. (But no postage for me, poot.)

He was able to arrange a viewing appointment. (We're vaccinated and the owners are actually antique dealers.)

Made some bids, won a couple of lots. Missed out on the Penny Blacks, but I may be allowed to put up a TwopennyBlue when he picks it up on Wednesday.

Plus, the antique dealers have a new expertiser when they get collections and we have some knowledge of a new venue.

VACCINATED.jpg

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

My mechanic just called and gave me the news  It's the Starter (thought so) that needs to be replaced.  Bit on the expensive side because of the Model of the car but has to be done . Also have heard some noises when backing up the car at times so checking that too. May be parts on the brakes but he has said it happens at times with rust build up  when not used much. (Hoping that is what it is)

Asked about the brakes and I knew immediately as  I was saying this how silly this question was .  Asked if he had and he  Nicely said can't do that until I get the Car started and drive it. Perfectly sensible. I responded  "well if you could get a few  of the other mechanics to push the car really fast  you could check it out" :>)-

He cracked up

Good thing they know me

weavers

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The ongoing story of my car.   They put in a new starter  4 days later the car would not start again so back I went. My Mechanic (who is great but quite fustrated) checked it out and found this time it was one of the battery cables and replaced it. Today same problem was able to get it to start after awhile  so in I went  and he replaced the starter again. Now its wait and see

Getting lots of exercise this week ( my Dr will be happy) walking back and forth to the shop

Walking home this morning I was in front of a Row of Older Homes. A Newer Black Pickup with Tinted Windows stopped and out stepped "Batman" :>0  A very tall muscular fellow was dressed in full costume right down to the boots and Utility Belt.  Went over to the Front Porch of the house  and planted a Big Kiss on the woman standing there,  then  looked over and gave me a wave (My 10 year old self would have been Thrilled!) 

Guess there is always an upside to things happening  If my car would not have broke down this morning I would not have seen a "Super Hero"!  I swear sometimes my life is like a Comic Book

weavers

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

What kind of car do you have?

We bought our first new car ever in 2007, a Honda Fit, and are still driving it.

DH tells me they don't make Fits any more because they never broke down so there was no secondary market.  He now intends, if it ever does die on us, to lease something electric. 

His father bought his last car (a Lincoln of course) when he was 91 and promptly rolled it with himself and MIL (94) in it. Surprisingly they both survived (which is why old farts buy Lincolns I guess) but the BIL who is  a mechanic told him it was totalled and got his license pulled. Was it? Who knows?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Our car is a 2009 Montana  have had it for 3 years  Bought it used.    Had some issues when we bought it but after the first trip to the mechanic has worked quite well.     

Montanas do have their quirks IE  Some of the warning lights wont turn off  after about 150,000 km's.   Safe to drive it's not the check engine light .  These just seem to do that . I just had to get my head around them being on all the time 

Re Lincolns  In the late 70's had a guy driving a Lincoln rear end me  In Huntsville on the metal  bridge there.  Saw him coming and had no where to go At a stop light  with cars ahead of me. Thousands of dollars of damage to my Toyota   $25.00 damage to his car,  One small section of his grill had to be replaced 

Was  more upset with the driverr than the damage to my Car.  Told my friend to be prepared to hold me back   He kept telling me over and over  in 45 years of driving he never had had a accident. Well guess what Buddy you just had one

Took 2 months for the car to be repaired.   Could not drive anyways  Next morning woke up with a  Whip Lash that took 2 1/2 months to resolve

weavers

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I just had to get my head around them being on all the time

Do a Red Green. Cover the light with duct tape. It's light proof.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

*chuckle,  my mechanic suggested the same thing 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply