Wynne's smart meters have few benefits for big costs

valve37
Community Member

Ontario's energy ministry grossly over-estimated the benefits of the smart meter program, the provincial auditor general says.

Ontario’s $2 billion smart meter program for hydro utilities has delivered few benefits for the hefty cost, says Ontario’s auditor-general Bonnie Lysyk.

In fact, one in six of the 4.8 million meters have not yet transmitted any readings, she found.

And Lysyk took the occasion of her probe of the smart meter program to take a roundhouse swipe at energy bureaucrats for plunging into the system without proper planning, and making it impossible for consumers to understands their rising hydro bills.

Lysyk took a special jab at Hydro One, which she said incurred about 50 per cent of the cost of the smart meter program — but installed only 25 per cent of the meters.

Smart meters allow utilities to charge different prices at different times of day, a function that’s supposed to encourage conservation, especially at peak times when the system is under stress.

But Lysyk said the pricing system has had only “a modest impact on reducing peak demand” among householders and “no impact at all on energy conservation.”

Among her findings:

• Smart meters were supposed to cost $1 billion. In fact, the total cost will be double that amount.
  • The energy ministry grossly over-estimated the benefits of the smart meter program. It figured the benefit would be $600 million over 15 years. But it forgot to include a yearly inflationary increase of $50 million. That reduces the net benefit of the huge project to $88 million over 15 years.
  • The cost of smart meters varied wildly among Ontario’s 73 local utilities, which paid from a low of $88 per meter to a high of $544.
  • Energy bureaucrats have bamboozled consumers for years by hiding the true costs of energy in a catch-all fee called the “global adjustment” that now makes up the majority of the cost of energy.

Lysyk said that neither the energy ministry nor the Ontario Energy Board — which is supposed to protect ratepayers — did a cost-benefit analysis of smart meters before plunging ahead with the program, first estimated in 2005 to cost $1 billion.

“Given the large scale of smart metering and the high risk associated with new technology, its implementation should have warranted strong governance and oversight,” Lysyk wrote.

The initial cost-benefit estimate — which proved wildly inaccurate — was performed only after the energy board had approved its implementation plan.

Costs continued to rise after the initial $1 billion estimate. They stood at $1.4 billion by the end of 2013, Lysyk reports.

In addition, the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) — which operates the Ontario power grid minute by minute — spent $249 million on a provincial data centre to collect the torrent of information that flows out of smart meters.

The cost is billed to ratepayers.

But Lysyk found that, in many instances the quarter-billion-dollar centre duplicates the data collected by many utilities. (The IESO responds that it has “exclusive authority” over the function performed by the centre.)

After all that expense, did smart meters produce savings? Lysyk was hard put to find them.

Smart meters send in data by electronic signal, so meter readers are no longer required. But Lysyk said that only 5 per cent of utilities reported savings. The others said their costs were the same, or higher.

Nor did the meters do much for consumers, Lysyk found. The province claims the meters and time-of-use pricing should help customers save money, and lower stress on the system during peak demand periods.

When peak demand is reduced, there’s less need to build expensive generating stations that operate for only a few hours a day, and stand idle the rest of the time.

Those benefits have not materialized, Lysyk said.

For one thing, she said, the difference between peak and off-peak rates hasn’t been large enough to encourage consumers to change behaviour patterns. In fact, over the years, the difference has narrowed, providing less and less incentive to cut back during peak demand.

Earlier in the day, energy minister Bob Chiarelli had stood by smart meters. “Studies have shown people are saving money with smart meters,” he insisted in the Legislature.

But Lysyk wrote that it’s difficult for customers to even understand their bills.

Most power generators are laid not through a visible market, but through contracts with a set price schedule.

The cost of all those contracts is now rolled into a single, opaque ball and charged back to customers through a fee called the “global adjustment” that now makes up about 70 per cent of the energy charge on hydro bills.

Consumers will pay $50 billion in global adjustment fees in the period 2006 to 2015, Lysyk estimates.

How much is that? It would cover the 2014 provincial deficit five times.

Lysyk also slams the province for increasing the supply of electricity beyond what the province needs.

Ontario has always exported some power, but exports grew 158 per cent between 2006 to 2013.

The problem is that the electricity is usually sold at a steep loss: “The total cost of producing the exported power was about $2.6 billion more than the revenue Ontario received from exporting that power.”

The losses are made up for by Ontario ratepayers through the global adjustment fee.

Lysyk didn’t save all her criticism for electricity.

She also criticized the Ontario Energy Board for failing to monitor gas utilities as closely as it should.

The utilities, which are paid to deliver natural gas to their customers, are not supposed to profit on the commodity cost of the gas. They are simply supposed to pass on what it cost to buy from producers.

On the whole, Lysyk found, consumer gas prices are in line with commodity costs.

But she found that energy board staff rely almost entirely on the gas utilities for their version of what the commodity cost is: “Board staff seldom obtained source documents to verify the information.”

Complaints against gas marketers who sell fixed-price natural gas contracts declined by 81 per cent from 2009 to 2013, Lysyk found.

But she said the energy board could do more to help consumers by providing rate information from the various gas providers on its website.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/12/09/smart_meters_have_few_benefits_for_big_costs_ag_report.ht...

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

How much am I paying for my smart meter now?
All Hydro One customers are currently paying $3.92 per month to recover smart meter-related costs. These costs have been reviewed and approved by the Ontario Energy Board and are a part of the delivery line item of your Hydro One bill.

How clever, buried where the average customer won't even be aware they are paying for it.

Meanwhile the Wynne way......................

XaiUx.gif 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It is easy to blame the current government (any party, it is irrelevant) but let's be honest valve - the real problem dates back to 1998 - under Mike Harris, a Conservative Premier:

The mandate of the Board changed significantly with the passage of the Energy Competition Act, 1998 (ECA)  The ultimate goal of the ECA was the creation of a competitive market in the electricity and natural gas industries.

To achieve the goal of creating a competitive market in the electricity industry, the former Ontario Hydro monopoly was replaced by several business entities including two distinct commercial companies, Ontario Power Generation (OPG) and Hydro One Inc., and one Crown corporation, the Independent Electricity Market Operator, now known as the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO). OPG has taken responsibility for the generation of electricity while Hydro One owns and maintains transmission and distribution wires. The IESO manages the province's electricity system and operates the wholesale electricity market.  The OEB had varying degrees of regulatory authority over all three corporations as well as the province’s municipal electric utilities.

The OEB became responsible for regulating local distribution companies and  for ensuring that the distribution companies fulfill their obligations to connect and serve their customers. The OEB also became responsible for licensing certain participants in the market.  The OEB regulated all market participants in the province’s natural gas and electricity industries and it provided advice on energy matters referred to it by the Minister of Energy and/or the Minister of Natural Resources.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

So in your opinion 1998 Harris is to blame. Funny how the AG didn't mention that and give Wynne the benefit of the doubt.

The Liberals came to power in 2003 giving them 11 years to correct the Harris wrongs IYO. Instead we are faced with the highest rates in Canada  and countless major boondoggles by this government not to mention how many more there may be over their 4 year mandate.   

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

"The Liberals came to power in 2003 giving them 11 years to correct the Harris wrongs"

As you know, once the eggs are cracked, your cooking choices are limited.  And that applies to all governments, regardless of party affiliation.

If you look at the federal "gun registry" passed into law by the Liberals (following the Montreal Massacre where fourteen young women were killed) and abolished by the Reform Party (renamed "Conservative") recently, there is no way any future governments (NDP or Liberal) would reactivate such law.

The problem with Hydro in Ontario come from the 1998 reform under Mike Harris.  Once you sell to private enterprise, like Humpty Dumpty, you simply cannot put it back together again. Same for Highway 407 sold by the Harris government to Spanish and Canadian private interest.  Too late to do anything about it but for Ontarians to pay the fees - without any financial benefits - and let the foreign investors get rich at our expense.

Some of the damage done by Harris "Common Sense" revolution will never be repaired, unfortunately

Message 6 of 6
latest reply