EBay won't calculate International shipping costs

laubc14
Community Member

“Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid Postal Code."

This has been haunting me since I started selling on eBay. And I don’t know how to fix the problem with eBay’s shipping calculator.

I ship from Quebec, Canada, and it works fine with other canadian cities. However, whenever an american or international customer is interested in my item, the cost cannot be calculated.

I know you need to separate USA and other countries in your listing. Since I didn’t have the opportunity to offer two kinds of international shipping, I decided to go with USA only. Yet, I still get the same error message when I try the calculator myself.

Is there a way to fix this ? This problem really bothers me…

Thank you.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@laubc14 wrote:

I use the Small packet service for the U.S., since the items I sell (when packed up) are more than 2 cm in thickness. For some other items, I use Canada Post International Parcel - Air.

About the advanced selling form, is it possible to use it for an item that's already listed ? Because I can't find an "advanced settings" option when I click on "revise item". And, yes, I do want to ship both to the U.S. and worlwide. 

No, you can't switch forms when the item is already listed. Once the listing ends you can click on relist similar and change forms then. Until your listings have ended, you should just put in the correct U.S. service.

Canada Post international air is only available to a few countries and not available for the U.S. It is also very expensive. I notice that you use international ground in at least one listing. That isn't a great idea  as delivery can take 4 - 12 weeks and few buyers will wait that long.

Small packets international air, small packets international ground (not recommended)  and light packets international air is available to all countries except for Canada and the U.S.

Some overseas countries have International Parcel Air and the ones that don't have it use Xpresspost International.

In the U.S. you can use light or small packet USA;tracked packet USA, expedited parcel USA or Xpresspost USA. If it doesn't have USA in the service, it isn't available there.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

In three months (Dec - Feb) you only sold three items.

The problem is that by the time you add your selling price and shipping charge, the price is way too high for most buyers. Trying to sell a DVD for US$7.99 plus over Cdn$20.00 shipping will not attract buyers.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

It's possible that the service you chose does not match up with the dimensions and weight that you entered. Sometimes you have to tweak it a bit. To the point of outright lying about the size -- saying it is larger than it is.

Have you considered that you can use Calculated Shipping for Canada, where regional rates apply, but Flat Rate Shipping for USA and overseas.

You can have several Custom Destinations and thus several Flat Rates (USA, Europe, Australasia, Japan, etc.)

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

That usually happens for 2 reasons.

1. The CP service stated isn't available in that country or

2. The dimensions are too small for the service stated.

Are you using expedited parcel USA? If so, your packages are probably too small for that service as the minimum measurements are

21 x 14 x 0.5 CM

For the majority of your items you should be able to use lettermail within Canada and light packet USA and light packet international. The packages have to be 2cm or less in thickness though. Small packet would be the next step up for thicker parcels.

There is only one price for light packet in the US so you don't need to use calculated shipping you can put in a flat rate.

There is also one price for light packet international to all other countries.

But if you really want to have tracking and insurance you need to use the more expensive services.

Tracked Packet USA would also be an option in that case. Minimum measurements for that are - 14cm x 9cm x 1mm   

Small and tracked packet have the same minimums.

If you want to ship to both the U.S. and worldwide, you need to use the advanced selling form. To get to that, click on the link on the top right of the ebay sell my item form.      

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

LetterPost cannot be printed out from Paypal.

You will need stamps, or a PO counter label.

It is possible to buy discount mint postage stamps on eBay.

You can buy Light Packet labels through Paypal.

There is no tracking on these, but I find when I do use them that most customers are happy with the invoice number, which really only says that the label has been purchased.

But that's soothing enough to give a honest but nervous customer the warm fuzzies.

There is no discount from Paypal on LP labels.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Most of the time, the shipping is around 11 CAD, which is about 8 USD. The price itself isn't the problem I'm trying to solve here. And, unfortunately, I can't change Canada post's fees or the DVD's dimensions...

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I usually say it's a little bit larger than it is. Also, when the dimensions and weight don't match the service, eBay tells me so.

Yes, I know I can use calculated shipping and flat rates, but I don't want to charge too low (or too high), since it varies a lot depending on the country I'm shipping to (considering also taxes and import charges, for instance). I may be wrong though, I consider myself as very new at selling on eBay.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I use the Small packet service for the U.S., since the items I sell (when packed up) are more than 2 cm in thickness. For some other items, I use Canada Post International Parcel - Air.

About the advanced selling form, is it possible to use it for an item that's already listed ? Because I can't find an "advanced settings" option when I click on "revise item". And, yes, I do want to ship both to the U.S. and worlwide. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@laubc14 wrote:

I usually say it's a little bit larger than it is. Also, when the dimensions and weight don't match the service, eBay tells me so.

Yes, I know I can use calculated shipping and flat rates, but I don't want to charge too low (or too high), since it varies a lot depending on the country I'm shipping to (considering also taxes and import charges, for instance). I may be wrong though, I consider myself as very new at selling on eBay.

If you click on calculate rates when you are setting up the listing it does seem to give you a list of the services those dimensions will fit although it isn't always specific enough to tell you which services or available for which country. For example, if you check a range of countries such as 'European countries sample rates' it shows you the cost for Tracked Packet to France and Germany but Tracked Packet is not available to all European countries. (check the CP site for a list)

As I mentioned before the most common calculated problem is for Expedited parcel U.S. so that tells me that not everyone uses those 'calculated prices' feature  when they set up the listings.

Import charges and taxes have nothing to do with shipping charges so you don't need to take that into account but yes, different countries can vary in shipping costs for small packets.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@laubc14 wrote:

No, you can't switch forms when the item is already listed. Once the listing ends you can click on relist similar and change forms then. Until your listings have ended, you should just put in the correct U.S. service.

Canada Post international air is only available to a few countries and not available for the U.S. It is also very expensive. I notice that you use international ground in at least one listing. That isn't a great idea  as delivery can take 4 - 12 weeks and few buyers will wait that long.

Small packets international air, small packets international ground (not recommended)  and light packets international air is available to all countries except for Canada and the U.S.

Some overseas countries have International Parcel Air and the ones that don't have it use Xpresspost International.

In the U.S. you can use light or small packet USA;tracked packet USA, expedited parcel USA or Xpresspost USA. If it doesn't have USA in the service, it isn't available there.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

OK, thank you for all the information. This will help me for my future listings and the one I will relist !

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

joe-dfi
Community Member

I too have been listing on ebay for years and everything has always worked fine until recently.

I have tried Turbo Lister, Selling Manager, and listing directly on ebay selling page. Common fields like shipping choices are auto-filled and picked up as defaults.

When the listing is submitted and becomes active, I am now in the practice of checking that the shipping calculator actually works for USA and International. About 50% of the time it is ok ---and the other 50% it is not. For the listings that do not work properly, it seems that there is nothing that will work to correct the problem. I revise the listing, and save and shipping still does not work.

One thing that I have noticed though, is that if I revise by clicking on revise your item on the item listing, everything looks like it should --- shipping selections are there and are the same as listing that work. If however I revise the item using selling manager, the item says that no international shipping has been setup.

I have tried by email to have the ebay technical support look into this with absolutely no luck so far.

Is there anyone that has experienced this? Anyone that has experienced this found a solution?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

The two most common problems are that the dimensions given to the calculator are too small for the service chosen. Expedited parcel within Canada has lower minimum measurements than expecited USA does so calculated shipping may work for Canada but not the U.S,

Minimum for expedited and regular parcel in Canada -100mmx70mmx1mm

minimum for expedited USA- 210mm x140mmx5mm

Another common problem is that the service chosen is not available in that country.  For example seller might choose small laver air and nternational for the US but that service is for all other countries, not the US.

Unfortunately,when you enter the incorrect info, the calculator does not warn you...it just doesnt work.

If that doesn't help your please pick a listing that isn't working and give us the listing number, the dimensions you have entered and which service you have listed for the US and the service for other countries.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Thank you for your response.

An item that is not working is 232205612989.

43 cm x 13 cm x 10 cm

1.9 kg

Canada Post Expedited Parcel - USA

Canada Post International Parcel - Surface

Any help you give is appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@joe-dfi wrote:

Thank you for your response.

An item that is not working is 232205612989.

43 cm x 13 cm x 10 cm

1.9 kg

Canada Post Expedited Parcel - USA

Canada Post International Parcel - Surface

Any help you give is appreciated.

Thank you.

The minimum for Expedited Parcel USA is 21 x 14 x 0.5 cm (as mentioned by pj but in mm). The 13 cm in your dimensions does not meet the 14 cm minimum. Because the difference is so small, simply change the 13 to 14 in your eBay listing to make it work. The Post office will not notice the 1 cm difference when you mail the item.

As for Canada Post International Parcel Surface, I do not recommend shipping my surface internationally. Takes too long and the buyer will claim an item not received case and win.  Since you are new to selling, only ship to Canada and the USA and block all other countries.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

If this is your idea of helping then you should probably just not bother at all.
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2016

The problem with zombie threads is that the advice may be out of date or inaccurate.

For example, pierrelebel,  an admired and respected long-time seller, retired over two years ago, and is much missed.

tyler@ebay 

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 18
latest reply