Opening a CP claim when using eBay Labels

Has anyone tried and been able to open a CP claim for lost, late or damaged CP shipments etc using eBay Labels? In speaking to CP, technically eBay is the shipper on record for eBay label shipments (eBay CP acct # is what displays on label) and they are the ones that would need to open/create) any claims. Similar to how voids are processed directly through eBay. Any credit would be forwarded to eBay and then on to the seller. Hopefully in a timely manner?

This is made even more difficult because as seller you don't always have a valid email address/phone number for buyer which is required for these types of situations. Personal information that is required for opening any claims.

devon@ebay  Is there a procedure in place for these types of situations? If a seller refunds for late, lost or damaged they should have a way to be refunded/credited.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Just as an fyi, the buyers phone number is available in order details.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Just as an fyi, the buyers phone number is available in order details.

@pjcdn2005 

Understood but what is on file is not always valid and eBay would email before they would phone. We only 99 times out of 100 see the eBay generated email address.  There is no eBay procedure in place for this other than Seller refund buyer. This was not a problem when shipments were tied to our SSB account with either PayPal/Shippo or in CP. The seller has most of the information like contents, actual value. How likely is eBay going to be when it comes to opening up claims of this type of nature.

-Lotz

In speaking to CP about opening a claim I was told after all the information I submitted that claim would need to be opened by eBay.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Re: Claims with CP using eBay Labels.

I personally attempted to create a claim with CP for a very late shipment. Provided all the information approx 3 weeks ago. Because of eBay messaging my guess is the buyer is not receiving ANY of CP's messages so therefore not responding. This is the message I just received from CP.

To process a claim for loss, we need confirmation from the addressee that the item was not received. The addressee has not responded to our attempts to contact them.

Without confirmation of non-delivery we are unable to proceed with your claim.

If you are in contact with the addressee, you may wish to let them know that they need to contact us to confirm if the item has been received and we will reassess the claim accordingly.

If you have any questions, please contact us by replying to this email.

Any claims are best processed by the eBay seller vs eBay. Sellers need to be able to proceed in an easy straight forward way. Is eBay working on a procedure for sellers to streamline this process?

-Lotzofuniquegoodies.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I had to open a claim for an item not received a few years back with Canada Post (it was not with eBay labels) for item sent to US with Tracked Package USA. It was frustrating I remember because even though they (Canada Post) had the phone number (and I think email address though it was a while back I'm not sure) the problem was Canada Post said they needed to confirm with the recipient that they hadn't actually received the item since most times items are delivered...even though tracking showed it lost in limbo somewhere, only the final delivery scan gets missed.

Since the buyer was never responding to CP's queries nothing was being done and the case wasn't moved along BUT finally after me messaging my buyer directly from eBay here a couple of times he finally responded and said not to worry that he had received it. I'm not sure what would have happened if he hadn't responded to me but I just let it be since I knew he had his item.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I had to open a claim for an item not received a few years back with Canada Post (it was not with eBay labels) for item sent to US with Tracked Package USA. It was frustrating I remember because even though they (Canada Post) had the phone number (and I think email address though it was a while back I'm not sure) the problem was Canada Post said they needed to confirm with the recipient that they hadn't actually received the item since most times items are delivered...even though tracking showed it lost in limbo somewhere, only the final delivery scan gets missed.

Since the buyer was never responding to CP's queries nothing was being done and the case wasn't moved along BUT finally after me messaging my buyer directly from eBay here a couple of times he finally responded and said not to worry that he had received it. I'm not sure what would have happened if he hadn't responded to me but I just let it be since I knew he had his item.

@msau4301 

In this case it was a major late. The item bounced around in and out of Toronto multiple times. Customer requested the refund but. Like they say it doesn't hurt to try. And this would be the same mess with a damage claim because of it being an eBay CP account vs the sellers account.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"In this case it was a major late. The item bounced around in and out of Toronto multiple times. Customer requested the refund but. Like they say it doesn't hurt to try. And this would be the same mess with a damage claim because of it being an eBay CP account vs the sellers account."

A late then one would think SHOULD be easier since no one should have to reach out to the buyer/recipient to confirm, but I would be interested how this works with eBay labels also (should I ever need it).

Are you able to open a ticket with Canada Post anyways since it asks all the info - your name, recipients name, waybill number etc.?  Or is that just for items not delivered? I'm not sure myself. Haven't had to open a case for major late so don't know how that one works either way (directly or eBay labels). Please let us know your findings.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

chicweb
Community Member

We really need more tools with the ebay labels. I really really like using it. With Calculated shipping, it's just a perfect combination. It's easy and straightforward.

We would need a way to buy return labels also. Just being able to buy CP or USPS return labels directly within ebay (or with other shipping company too) would be an awesome tool. Since we cannot buy USPS directly from Canada, ebay could be the intermediary.

Also, being able to ask for CP Claims directly here (since we seem to be using eBay CP accounts with the labels).

With those 2 tools, I think the ebay shipping labels feature would almost be perfect.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

"In this case it was a major late. The item bounced around in and out of Toronto multiple times. Customer requested the refund but. Like they say it doesn't hurt to try. And this would be the same mess with a damage claim because of it being an eBay CP account vs the sellers account."

A late then one would think SHOULD be easier since no one should have to reach out to the buyer/recipient to confirm, but I would be interested how this works with eBay labels also (should I ever need it).

Are you able to open a ticket with Canada Post anyways since it asks all the info - your name, recipients name, waybill number etc.?  Or is that just for items not delivered? I'm not sure myself. Haven't had to open a case for major late so don't know how that one works either way (directly or eBay labels). Please let us know your findings.

@msau4301 

devon@ebay 

Re: CP claims procedure with eBay Labels.  Because CP was UNABLE to contact the customer due to the fact all I had was the eBay email addy, my attempt to claim shipping was rejected. (Rules for late claims below. Similar standard info is required(mandatory)  for lost or damaged.) Is there a procedure in place for sellers to make claims with ALL eBay Labels because any claims has to be done by the account owner. Voids are doable but slow with eBay vs CP/Shippo. Late, lost or damaged are still valid issues.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1703786383411.png

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

PS. I went through the same procedure earlier last year with a damaged shipment. Claim was refused. Well and good to have sellers refund buyer but there NEEDS to be something in place so sellers can recover any lost funds. Situations that are entirely out of control of the seller.

PS#2. See @chicweb  comment regarding returns for return shipments using eBay Labels. Again this was possible for anyone with a Shippo account. Not everyone uses Shippo. For these situations if a seller is creating a label for a buyer to return something there are no guarantees they are using the same box. Communication will be required to make sure any label generated is accurate including details regarding measurements and customs. (Canadian goods returning so the seller does not pay customs charges for any return.)  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

devon@ebay 

re: buying shipping labels

Message 10 of 10
latest reply