August 18 2021 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat up for your questions. I'll begin working on answers tomorrow afternoon. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I asked the following question to @:

askeBay on Twitter"
What exactly is "Standard International Shipping" ? Is it USPS to Canada Post? Is it UPS/ Fedex / DHL. Why are shipping methods on eBay so vague & unclear on the buyer side of things? I avoid some methods as they are nothing but problems for cross border shipments.

I got back as a reply from @askeBay on Twitter:

"Hi there! If a seller uses the eBay International Standard delivery service, the item is being shipped through USPS. However, sellers will offer different handling times so estimated delivery dates may differ from one order to the next. ebay.to/3fOSi9 "

This happened 3 or 4 times. It seems that eBay reps on Twitter do not realize that "Standard International Shipping" is NOT the same as "eBay Internation Standard" service.

This went on for 3 or 4 days and just made me more frustrated as a 14+ year eBay buyer.

You really need buyer-facing information so that we buyers can get clear explanation on your shipping services rather than getting this conflicting information from multiple reps.

I have also seen sellers on eBay that have no intention of selling to Canadian buyers. These sellers jack up the prices that no one in their right mind would ever buy the item in question. One such item which is about 6oz max 1lb was charging $59.99 shipping the item from the USA to Canada. There were close to 10 of these sellers which I have a suspicion is the same seller all charging this same amount of shipping under the "Standard International Shipping" service.

There is no way to report this excessive shipping via the item listing. It is probably moot anyway. Nothing would be done. Sorry but this long-time eBay buyer is just soured on eBay.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

How are insurance claims handled for eBay Labels?

It appears that a Seller can not make a claim, since eBay is recorded by Canada Post as the label owner.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Purchased-label-amp-insurance-through-eBay-for-Canada-Po...

-;-

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

It appears that a Seller can not make a claim, since eBay is recorded by Canada Post as the label owner.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Purchased-label-amp-insurance-through-eBay-for-Canada-Po...

-;-

In doing some major deep digging for @taslim604 there is nothing listed in the FAQ's connected to eBay Labels as to a procedure for filing a claim other than if a buyer opens a claim, Refund them.

Because eBay Labels is a CP account does the claim have to be originated within eBay or is it possible to generate directly through CP?

-Lotz

Sidenote: Forwarding concerns(as of late) directly to Ebay Labels team rarely if ever gets a response and if you do....followup.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

How closely does ebay dot ca monitor the Ebay and Community Site issues forum and the Share Community Site Issues forum on dot com?

There are multiple reports of eBay users reporting problems to CS via chat/phone and then not getting follow up as implied(24 to 48Hours). Unfortunately not all eBay users are tied at the hip to Facebook and the Twitter. The eBay status pages seem to never get updated when there are widespread reported major issues.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Brand new error message this morning for item specific requirements. Small hard cover book. Item must be shipped with a package service internationally(Letter is not an option). Item does not support offered postage service. Something that would if possible need to be fixed within the listing, not with ebays tool. If it were possible.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@theoldestfart wrote:

I asked the following question to @:

askeBay on Twitter"
What exactly is "Standard International Shipping" ? Is it USPS to Canada Post? Is it UPS/ Fedex / DHL. Why are shipping methods on eBay so vague & unclear on the buyer side of things? I avoid some methods as they are nothing but problems for cross border shipments.

I got back as a reply from @askeBay on Twitter:

"Hi there! If a seller uses the eBay International Standard delivery service, the item is being shipped through USPS. However, sellers will offer different handling times so estimated delivery dates may differ from one order to the next. ebay.to/3fOSi9 "

This happened 3 or 4 times. It seems that eBay reps on Twitter do not realize that "Standard International Shipping" is NOT the same as "eBay Internation Standard" service.

This went on for 3 or 4 days and just made me more frustrated as a 14+ year eBay buyer.

You really need buyer-facing information so that we buyers can get clear explanation on your shipping services rather than getting this conflicting information from multiple reps.

I have also seen sellers on eBay that have no intention of selling to Canadian buyers. These sellers jack up the prices that no one in their right mind would ever buy the item in question. One such item which is about 6oz max 1lb was charging $59.99 shipping the item from the USA to Canada. There were close to 10 of these sellers which I have a suspicion is the same seller all charging this same amount of shipping under the "Standard International Shipping" service.

There is no way to report this excessive shipping via the item listing. It is probably moot anyway. Nothing would be done. Sorry but this long-time eBay buyer is just soured on eBay.

Hi @theoldestfart - sorry to hear that you didn't get the answer you were looking for from our support teams. I'll let them know so they can review and get coaching to teammates where appropriate.  Standard International Shipping is a generic placeholder that generates an average based on all stated international services. So essentially, an average of an average. 

We're actually currently working on releasing an addition to Shipping Rate Tables that allows you to specify a specific carrier for the 'Standard International Shipping' section that will provide a more tailored estimated delivery date for your buyers. I don't have a specific roll-out date for that one, but it's coming soon. 🙂

We let sellers set their shipping prices, so while I definitely agree it sounds like there was an inflated shipping charge on the items you found, it doesn't necessarily violate eBay policy. We do impose 'maximum shipping' charges in certain categories, though not all categories currently have maximums. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

-;-

Hi @ypdc_dennis - I haven't heard of this, and am unclear on what that process is. I will check and see if I have any more info!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

How closely does ebay dot ca monitor the Ebay and Community Site issues forum and the Share Community Site Issues forum on dot com?

There are multiple reports of eBay users reporting problems to CS via chat/phone and then not getting follow up as implied(24 to 48Hours). Unfortunately not all eBay users are tied at the hip to Facebook and the Twitter. The eBay status pages seem to never get updated when there are widespread reported major issues.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - the system status board is automatic and will update to reflect major, systemic, or widespread issues. And while I don't particularly enjoy saying it: just because there are reports on the boards doesn't mean it qualifies as a widespread or 'major' event.

The community boards related to sharing technical issues are not regularly monitored, nor are they the primary place where a communication regarding an outage would be posted (though I try to communicate the ones I hear about there). 

When it comes to CS follow-ups, not getting a communication back is definitely frustrating, and I'd encourage folks to report that to CS as well for relevant coaching. I also think it's worth sharing that in the vast, vast majority of cases a follow-up is neither necessary nor helpful for anyone involved. If you contact CS to report a tech issue, and they say that it's a known issue and add your information to the open ticket - there is no follow up that would be necessary.

If the tech team does need more information they will either proactively contact you (becasue they have your user id), or they will instruct the teammate to do so. I see many cases of being promised a callback for a known issue, and that is a bad habit of some CS teammates. 

For cases where there is not a currently open bug ticket, a report filed with the tech team will go through review, and a fix would be worked on if it's a confirmed issue. In many of these cases the original teammate isn't kept apprised of this as the issue is now known and a fix is being worked on. 

I realize this is not how you'd prefer to see tech issues addressed, and I'll make sure that that sentiment is shared, but I wanted to level-set with you about what to expect in situations like this. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Brand new error message this morning for item specific requirements. Small hard cover book. Item must be shipped with a package service internationally(Letter is not an option). Item does not support offered postage service. Something that would if possible need to be fixed within the listing, not with ebays tool. If it were possible.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - for item specific issues or mismatches your best bet is to report directly to the team at sdsupport@ebay.com

If there's a screenshot of the error or an example somewhere floating will you please tag me to the thread? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed but will be back on the 25th. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 11
latest reply