December 16 2020 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat for your questions. I'll begin working on answers for you tomorrow. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I found a seller that appears to be using his email address as his eBay ID.

I suspect this is not acceptable.

Contact me and I will forward a link to this seller.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Hi: Could you direct me to a link that will give detailed information on how Managed Payments will work for a seller. Questions I would like answered are: Do deposits get paid to my bank account after each transaction no matter the amount, or do they get deposited on a monthly/weekly...basis. How do I set things up to pay for shipping. 

Most of what I have found to read just tells me how wonderful managed payments will be, but does not really provide much information on details. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Managed Payments...

Payouts to a bank account include the total of item price plus shipping cost for each transaction, after the Final value fee has been subtracted from this total.

Payouts can be made on a daily basis, for all transactions  on that day...

OR....  on a weekly basis.

For me  the payout on a weekly basis means that the payout  occurs every Tuesday.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Based on reading other posts, you can set it up daily but it actually takes a few days from the time payment is made..just like it does when a brick and mortar takes credit cards

Until  ebay gets a label system set up on Canada directly through eBay we can’t pay for postage directly from the pending payment but eventually we will be able to do so.   For now we would have to make sure there was money in PayPal for Shippo unless they will take credit cards.  I think that if we use PP labels that we can pay with a cc but I’ve never tried it.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I don’t think they give a link with specified info until you are signed up for MP

oops sorry didn’t realize this was a question for Tyler.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Tyler 2 weeks ago I mentioned that the international standard estimated delivery times to Canada on .com listings were showing buyers a 3-6 week (appro 9-23 business  days) delivery time.  Actually all generic international options..economy and expedited were showing the exact same delivery frame which makes no sense.  I realize that not all sellers who use the generic options are in Canada but few or no expedited or standard options are going to take that long from anywhere in the world to Canada.

Considering that their standard shipping from  outside of the US (to the US) only gives a 4-10 business days (plus handling ) delivery time, the 3 + weeks for standard and expedited is ridiculous.  

Have they given you any indication that this will be fixed soon?  I’ve had zero Canadian buyers for .com listed items in the past month or so and that could be part of the reason why.  

A reminder that before these eta were put in, there was NO specified delivery time on .com to Canada with generic standard delivery ....I’m not sure about expedited or economy.  Perhaps more reasonable est. delivery times would be 4-10 bus days plus handing for standard and 1-5 business days + handling for expedited?

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Asking for another member that posted on the discussion boards earlier.  Once a return has been accepted, is there currently a 5 business day deadline for buyers to get their return in the mail or is that deadline still extended?  If so, how long do they have?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

In Reply number 2...

An email has been sent to Tyler about that seller that appears to be using an email address as an eBay ID.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

About Managed Payments.....

Once a seller has been transferred to use Managed Payments,  that seller has access to all of the information about Managed Payments.

This information is not available to a seller that has not been converted to use Managed Payments

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Why is ebay.CA using Canada Post pre-covid19 delivery standards for calculated shipping?

It is raising buyer expectations far too high for arrival time.

I've temporarily ended most of my calculated shipping listing for the next few days until the arrives before Xmas delivery dates disappear from calculated shipping.

Canada Post December 14: SPECIAL UPDATE: STATUS OF THE NETWORK  

Canada Post has continued to work hard throughout the year to deliver on the increased demands as the country has worked to combat COVID-19. We began ramping up early for the peak holiday season given the potential demands and the need to maintain important safety measures. Our processing plants have been operating around the clock, processing record volumes which then go out for delivery each day. To help, we’ve added more than 4,000 seasonal employees, increased our fleet by more than 1,000 vehicles, worked with commercial customers to manage inductions and, throughout it all, encouraged Canadians to shop and ship as early as possible.

Peak season demand beyond projections

What we are seeing now is the full impact of the changes Canadians are making in response to safety and travel restrictions. Canadians are not only shopping online in record numbers for gifts and everyday items, we’ve seen a huge influx of customers at the post offices shipping gifts to replace their traditional holiday visits. We understand the importance of every item.

The result has been an unprecedented demand on our network as we maintain safety measures at each step of the process. Even with processing and delivery moving well with additional resources, there is a limit to what we can safely process and deliver.

We continue to monitor the situation closely and respond accordingly

Looking ahead, with parcel volumes expected to continue at these levels, we want to inform you of some important dates. We’ve revised our shipping deadlines/cut-off dates and ask you to please take them into consideration when shipping and setting expectations with your customers. We remain committed to reliable and timely service and understand the importance of delivering items before Christmas.

REVISED HOLIDAY CUT-OFF MAILING DATES

Canada Post Xpresspost deadline: December 17
Canada Post Priority deadline: December 18

-..-

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Logic flaw in the Shopping Cart for buyers.

Recently my brother decided to start shopping on ebay .

He found a dozen things of interest from 7 or 8 sellers and was puzzled that shipping in the cart was showing $22 for everything.

So he got some sticker shock when he went to the next step and entered his address and saw the shipping jump to over $200.

The logic problem is that the shopping cart treats calculated shipping as zero when an address is not available.   The only values that are used are from listings with flat rate shipping.   The cart should be saying that shipping needs an address to be accurate when one or more items use calculated shipping.   This flaw will give buyers new to ebay a bad impression.

Side note: I also convinced him that signing up for an ebay account for buying was a really good idea.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I believe that eBay did change some delivery day  on .com form within the US because of Covid delays but as you said calculated shipping for within Canada has not changed and I am guessing that they didn’t adjust it for shipping from Canada to the US either?

Tyler, even though usps is having major problems, international sellers listing on .com still get the same amount of time when using ‘shipping from outside of the US’. Obviously since we are shipping to the US our delivery times are affected by usps problems but standard delivery from outside of the US still remains at 5-10 business days +handling time.  Actually it is supposed to be 5-10 + handling but with my 2 day handling it shows as  6-12 bus. days incl handling so one day is shorted at the front end.   Those delivery times are a tight requirement during normal times, in some cases they are almost impossible to meet now.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for your questions everyone! I will continue working on answers and provide them tomorrow. 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

I found a seller that appears to be using his email address as his eBay ID.

I suspect this is not acceptable.

Contact me and I will forward a link to this seller.

Hi @cumos55 - depending on when the seller's account was begun that may be allowed. Accounts prior to our 'store name' policy in 2003/4 are grandfathered in. If you find they are younger than that please consider reporting it to CS so they can review. 

Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 21
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:

Hi: Could you direct me to a link that will give detailed information on how Managed Payments will work for a seller. Questions I would like answered are: Do deposits get paid to my bank account after each transaction no matter the amount, or do they get deposited on a monthly/weekly...basis. How do I set things up to pay for shipping. 

Most of what I have found to read just tells me how wonderful managed payments will be, but does not really provide much information on details. 

Hi @around_again_records! I have a few required disclaimers to provide (they're below in italics if you're interested) but in a rare treat I think I can address your specific questions! 

Payouts within managed payments are either 'Daily*' or 'Weekly'. The default setting is daily payouts but you can change that within your settings. 

*Daily payouts means funds that are available for payout will be pushed to your bank once a day on weekdays. This can sometimes feel confusing and can make for a headache when trying to resolve your books. Most folks I've seen on the .com boards use the weekly payout setting. This means that on a specific day of the week (Tuesdays on .com) all your available funds for the past week are pushed to your bank.

Shipping within payments is a mixed bag right now. Currently, for most members there is not an eBay-platform solution. This means you'd need to use Shippo or the outside postal vendor of your choice, but would not be able to access funds for shipping immediately (not until they get paid out to your bank account).

There are increasing rumors that we're going to see the previously announced eBay Label Platform very shortly (In fact I even found a thread from another member who was invited to it earlier this month). With eBay Labels you'd be able to use your pending funds as bankroll for printing out shipping. 

Help Pages that may be informative are here and here, required disclaimer below. 

As someone who is not an expert on managed payments I may not be able to address your question in its entirety. If you have been notified to register for managed payments you are able to request a call back from a payments-trained teammate by accessing any of the Help Pages related to payments and using the 'Have us call you' feature at the bottom of the page.

The information provided is accurate as of today's date (December 18 2020) but may become outdated in the future. If you are reading this at a later date please consider checking the Help Pages or request a call back from a managed payments teammate who can provide the most up to date information.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Tyler 2 weeks ago I mentioned that the international standard estimated delivery times to Canada on .com listings were showing buyers a 3-6 week (appro 9-23 business  days) delivery time.  Actually all generic international options..economy and expedited were showing the exact same delivery frame which makes no sense.  I realize that not all sellers who use the generic options are in Canada but few or no expedited or standard options are going to take that long from anywhere in the world to Canada.

Considering that their standard shipping from  outside of the US (to the US) only gives a 4-10 business days (plus handling ) delivery time, the 3 + weeks for standard and expedited is ridiculous.  

Have they given you any indication that this will be fixed soon?  I’ve had zero Canadian buyers for .com listed items in the past month or so and that could be part of the reason why.  

A reminder that before these eta were put in, there was NO specified delivery time on .com to Canada with generic standard delivery ....I’m not sure about expedited or economy.  Perhaps more reasonable est. delivery times would be 4-10 bus days plus handing for standard and 1-5 business days + handling for expedited?

Hi @pjcdn2005 - this may have something to do with the extension of delivery dates. I've burrowed into a few holes on this one and haven't found anything. I'm going to escalate and see if I can get something (anything) more definitive!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Asking for another member that posted on the discussion boards earlier.  Once a return has been accepted, is there currently a 5 business day deadline for buyers to get their return in the mail or is that deadline still extended?  If so, how long do they have?

Hi @pjcdn2005 - there's a couple of factors at play, but the maximum time for a buyer to ship the item back is around 15 business days from the date the seller accepted the return (if buyer is paying shipping) or the date the seller provided a means of return (if seller is responsible for shipping). 

This is 'in general' info - so if you have an unusual return, or a cross-border one, please contact CS for specifics in case there are exceptions at play. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

In Reply number 2...

An email has been sent to Tyler about that seller that appears to be using an email address as an eBay ID.

Oops! Sorry I didn't see this one before replying @cumos55. My email is a wasteland right now, but I'm hoping things slow down next week so I can review them before the holiday.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Why is ebay.CA using Canada Post pre-covid19 delivery standards for calculated shipping?

It is raising buyer expectations far too high for arrival time.

I've temporarily ended most of my calculated shipping listing for the next few days until the arrives before Xmas delivery dates disappear from calculated shipping.

Canada Post December 14: SPECIAL UPDATE: STATUS OF THE NETWORK  

Canada Post has continued to work hard throughout the year to deliver on the increased demands as the country has worked to combat COVID-19. We began ramping up early for the peak holiday season given the potential demands and the need to maintain important safety measures. Our processing plants have been operating around the clock, processing record volumes which then go out for delivery each day. To help, we’ve added more than 4,000 seasonal employees, increased our fleet by more than 1,000 vehicles, worked with commercial customers to manage inductions and, throughout it all, encouraged Canadians to shop and ship as early as possible.

Peak season demand beyond projections

What we are seeing now is the full impact of the changes Canadians are making in response to safety and travel restrictions. Canadians are not only shopping online in record numbers for gifts and everyday items, we’ve seen a huge influx of customers at the post offices shipping gifts to replace their traditional holiday visits. We understand the importance of every item.

The result has been an unprecedented demand on our network as we maintain safety measures at each step of the process. Even with processing and delivery moving well with additional resources, there is a limit to what we can safely process and deliver.

We continue to monitor the situation closely and respond accordingly

Looking ahead, with parcel volumes expected to continue at these levels, we want to inform you of some important dates. We’ve revised our shipping deadlines/cut-off dates and ask you to please take them into consideration when shipping and setting expectations with your customers. We remain committed to reliable and timely service and understand the importance of delivering items before Christmas.

REVISED HOLIDAY CUT-OFF MAILING DATES

Canada Post Xpresspost deadline: December 17
Canada Post Priority deadline: December 18

-..-

Hi @ypdc_dennis - I know that we're taking several factors into consideration when it comes to EDDs - but I'll make sure that this is reported for review. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 21
latest reply