January 2nd 2019 Weekly session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey Howdy Hey and welcome to the first chat of 2019!

Apologies for the tardy opening, but I'll keep the chat open throughout today and address questions as they come in into tomorrow. 

Speak with you soon!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I ordered an item from ebay last November. The seller never even sent the item There as no tracking info available. Now when I try to get my money back I can't contact a person on ebay. Now I'll need to go through my CC company and file a dispute to get my money, which you have held for over a month. This was the first and last time I ever use ebay.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@badeb1296.wrqjpdx

While you can use your credit card to get a refund you are also covered two other ways.

EBay has a Money Back Guarantee.

Since it sounds as if eBay spotted a scam, and closed down the seller, they made it difficult for you to make your Claim.

tyler@ebay   And this is an ongoing problem.

Go to your Paypal payment. The information about your purchase including the transaction number is there.

With eBay you have 30 days from the last estimated date for delivery to make a Claim. You should be well within that period.

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

Open an Item Not Received Dispute.

State that eBay closed the listing and that the seller is Not A Registered User.

There is a suggestion that you contact the Seller. It is not required (although if this were an ordinary problem with late delivery or fit, it could solve that problem quickly). In this case, skip it.

Ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

Or.

Since you are at Paypal anyway, their resolution centre is at the top of  your account page under Tools.

Same process, Item Not Received, skip contact seller, escalate to a Claim.

Again, state that eBay closed the listing as fraudulent and the seller is NARU.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (and again not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

Do NOT close a Claim until you have the money.  It is NOT necessary and in itself is a scam.

Or you can go through the credit card you used to back your Paypal account.

tyler@ebay

We see these questions all too often.

It looks like this buyer is a Guest Member .

Guests tend to be naive about fraud online, and don't do due diligence, like reading feedback or even descriptions.

EBay badly needs to fix the problem with disappearing transaction numbers, and clearly telling defrauded members how to get the refunds they deserve.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@badeb1296.wrqjpdx wrote:
I ordered an item from ebay last November. The seller never even sent the item There as no tracking info available. Now when I try to get my money back I can't contact a person on ebay. Now I'll need to go through my CC company and file a dispute to get my money, which you have held for over a month. This was the first and last time I ever use ebay.

Hi @badeb1296.wrqjpdx - I'm so sorry to hear that this purchase went so poorly. The vast majority of the members who sell on eBay work very, very hard to make sure you get a good item, at a great price, as quickly as possible. On the rare occasion there is an issue our members are quick to respond and resolve the situation. It sounds like this didn't happen, and I apologize for that. 

You're always welcome to contact our Customer Support teammates who are happy to help. You can reach them via phone, or on social media (Facebook and Twitter). In the meantime, if you've already opened a request with the seller we allow them 3 business days to reply to you. If they fail to resolve your concern you can request us to step in after that time and we will help. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Hello tyler,

Happy New Year, all the best to you and yours in 2019, and of course, thank you for your valuable time spent here and on the .com site, it is much appreciated.

I am thankful for the forum, as seeing other sellers having some of the same issues as myself, I am able to find the answers to most of my problems. I try to make ebay customer service my last resort, and I am generally happy to fill out the surveys when asked.

What I find odd, is when I'm asked to fill out a survey, when I haven't talked to an ebay representative. Is there a reason to be concerned? Please advise, tia, amcdc79.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Hi Tyler, thank you for opening the thread and being here.

I have no immediate, pressing matters to throw at you this week but I must admit that I, like most sellers here, have worries about the upcoming change to Managed Payments and how it will impact of workflow here. Namely, precisely how long we as ebay sellers will have to wait to access our funds from a sale.

Right now, I have no complaints with disbursement of my monies by Paypal. If I have dollars in my PayPal account to withdraw and I do so before 11 am CST that money is in my chequing account by no later than 5 pm any given business day. I think most ebay sellers would riot if ebay payments turned into AZ payments and we had to wait days or weeks or even months to see the money from our sales.

What assurances can you offer ebay Canada sellers at this point to ease our concerns?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

A buyer has opened a return request for 3 items. It wants me to send an ok for each item separately even though they were sent in one package. I sent an ok to send them back with one request and told the buyer to put all 3 items in a single package. They haven't sent anything back yet, but I just received an email from ebay  saying I haven't dealt with the other 2 items.  If I accept a return for all 3 items I will have to pay shipping for each one. What can I do to tell it (the return request) I have accented the return for all 3 at the same time to stay out of trouble

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Hi Tyler, thank you for opening the thread and being here.

I have no immediate, pressing matters to throw at you this week but I must admit that I, like most sellers here, have worries about the upcoming change to Managed Payments and how it will impact of workflow here. Namely, precisely how long we as ebay sellers will have to wait to access our funds from a sale.

Right now, I have no complaints with disbursement of my monies by Paypal. If I have dollars in my PayPal account to withdraw and I do so before 11 am CST that money is in my chequing account by no later than 5 pm any given business day. I think most ebay sellers would riot if ebay payments turned into AZ payments and we had to wait days or weeks or even months to see the money from our sales.

What assurances can you offer ebay Canada sellers at this point to ease our concerns?

Thanks!

Hi @momcqueen

When it comes to Managed Payments I'm very limited in what information I have to give you. I'm sure you've already been through the FAQ we released last year, but want to get it plugged just in case others reading this haven't visited it before. 

Currently, disbursement is sent directly to the bank account attached to the account. Those payouts are sent daily. Based on bank processing times that can take between 2 and 4 business days of the confirmation. There is no plan I am aware of to disburse payments in fixed intervals like other sites.

Additionally, as an unusual silver lining, the Managed Payments program is not currently equipped to handle multiple currencies or cross border trade, which means that I anticipate Canadian members to not have to consider the new process until it's much more fleshed out and robust. I think this gives eBay.ca members a unique opportunity to leap-frog directly to Managed Payments that will work more seamlessly with their business. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hello tyler,

Happy New Year, all the best to you and yours in 2019, and of course, thank you for your valuable time spent here and on the .com site, it is much appreciated.

I am thankful for the forum, as seeing other sellers having some of the same issues as myself, I am able to find the answers to most of my problems. I try to make ebay customer service my last resort, and I am generally happy to fill out the surveys when asked.

What I find odd, is when I'm asked to fill out a survey, when I haven't talked to an ebay representative. Is there a reason to be concerned? Please advise, tia, amcdc79.

Hi @amcdc79 - glad to have you here as well! The insight you provide other members is helpful, and I am really grateful for everyone's expertise and willingness to share it. 

That seems a little unusual about the surveys, but isn't unheard of. We survey members throughout the year with regards to multiple topics, particularly when it comes to Customer Support. 

If you've ever emailed support or contacted us through social media it's very common to receive a survey. If you haven't done anything like that and have gotten a survey about customer support that does seem a bit odd. A CS survey would be sent to your eBay messages if you contacted via email or phone, and via the social media platform you contacted through (Twitter or Facebook) if you got in touch with us that way. 

If you got something different would you shoot me a PM and get me some more detail? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

A buyer has opened a return request for 3 items. It wants me to send an ok for each item separately even though they were sent in one package. I sent an ok to send them back with one request and told the buyer to put all 3 items in a single package. They haven't sent anything back yet, but I just received an email from ebay  saying I haven't dealt with the other 2 items.  If I accept a return for all 3 items I will have to pay shipping for each one. What can I do to tell it (the return request) I have accented the return for all 3 at the same time to stay out of trouble

Hi @bunbar - I would definitely reply to the other 2 requests to accept them. You aren't charged for return shipping unless the buyer actually prints off and uses the labels, so if they sent it all back in one package you should be fine.

If you're still concerned you can also accept, generate and provide a single return label (I hear Shippo's return label service is actually pretty nifty) and indicate in the returns that you provided a single label for all 3 items to be shipped together. This may be the better option as the eBay-generated return labels tend to use the weights for the individual items, not a 'total' amount for the combined weight. Issuing a return label this way would allow you to prevent any postage due arrivals, or worse, having it returned to the buyer for additional postage.

Not replying to or accepting the returns isn't something I'd recommend. If you need some more direct eyes on the returns you can always reach out to Customer Support via phone or social media and they'll be happy to take a closer look. Thanks!  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week, the chat is closed, but will return next week! 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 11
latest reply