January 9th 2019 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat up for your questions. Also, as a general note, I will be out of the office Thursday and Friday (celebrating my birthday with a long weekend). If you need assistance or insight while I'm gone you can always tag @happy_pigeon or contact CS via phone or social media (Twitter or Facebook)! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Happy Birthday!
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I remember the days when I was young enough to want to take extra time off to celebrate my birthday. Now its just another day!

Happy Birthday Tyler!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Do you think that it might be a good idea to unpin the Canada Post strike thread from the board?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

My only thought this week is about the changes to some (?) Best Offer listings where buyers are given the opportunity to shorten the length of time the offer is valid. I don't disagree with this; I've long thought 48 hours is too long to wait for an answer and, as a seller, I know pretty quickly whether I'm prepared to accept an offer or counter it. 

My only beef with this is the roll-out of the change. It would have been wiser, I think, for ebay to warn sellers about the forthcoming change.

I recently fielded an offer where 'Offer valid for 12 hours only' was added in the Comments section of Terms and Conditions -- and I assumed it was put there by the buyer  -- but I just thought he was simply being rude, arrogant and/or aggressive. Perhaps as an idea he got from being allowed to select that option on other Best Offers he was making? Or is that the way it looks when ebay allows it to be applied to a listing, does it just show up like a comment made by the buyer? 

I feel like it would be good to get some clarification on that aspect so that I can see if the Terms are part of the ebay-sanctioned change to Best Offer timing or whether it's just a guy acting like his time is more valuable than mine. 

I also assume sellers will be granted the same option to shorten counteroffer timing. Is that correct? 

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Do you think that it might be a good idea to unpin the Canada Post strike thread from the board?

Hi @pjcdn2005 - Happy Pigeon and I have discussed that over the last few weeks. The consensus in late December was if it's still a relevant conversation we should leave it. At the time, there was still strike-related conversation occurring occasionally. 

I haven't checked on it since then, truth be told. If the topic has shifted it may be time to let it out to pasture. I'll take a gander at it a bit later this morning. Thanks for the heads up!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

My only thought this week is about the changes to some (?) Best Offer listings where buyers are given the opportunity to shorten the length of time the offer is valid. I don't disagree with this; I've long thought 48 hours is too long to wait for an answer and, as a seller, I know pretty quickly whether I'm prepared to accept an offer or counter it. 

My only beef with this is the roll-out of the change. It would have been wiser, I think, for ebay to warn sellers about the forthcoming change.

I recently fielded an offer where 'Offer valid for 12 hours only' was added in the Comments section of Terms and Conditions -- and I assumed it was put there by the buyer  -- but I just thought he was simply being rude, arrogant and/or aggressive. Perhaps as an idea he got from being allowed to select that option on other Best Offers he was making? Or is that the way it looks when ebay allows it to be applied to a listing, does it just show up like a comment made by the buyer? 

I feel like it would be good to get some clarification on that aspect so that I can see if the Terms are part of the ebay-sanctioned change to Best Offer timing or whether it's just a guy acting like his time is more valuable than mine. 

I also assume sellers will be granted the same option to shorten counteroffer timing. Is that correct? 

Thanks!

Hi @momcqueen - The editable duration for Best Offer is currently a limited population buyer-only promotion, meaning that right now a counteroffer from sellers wouldn't be something you could edit from the 48 hour standard. 

When it comes to the way it is displayed, it wouldn't be a note in the text box, the duration of the offer itself would show the shortened timeframe. It sounds like you had someone who was just being particular. 

I definitely agree that a heads-up could have helped you prepare, and I'll get that feedback to the right folks!

And thank you for the birthday wishes! 😄 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks @pjcdn2005

I don't tie one on anymore, but will have a nice dinner and spend the time catching up on housecleaning and organization. And maybe a nice dinner here and there. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week! I'll be out for the next two days, but will be here throughout the rest of the afternoon if you need me!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 9
latest reply