March 27th 2019 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi there - 

Opening up the chat for your questions. I'll be by tomorrow to get you answers. 

Thanks!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

like my case,what i can do?or nothing i can do! resend is not recommend?i know China to Canada is long way,so i understand and willing to wait,But can`t be an excuse to rely on it.they are just playing tricks on the rule.thank you for your help 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hi Tyler, and thanks for being here. 

May I ask some follow-ups to my questions last week?  I am going to be closing my yearly (.ca) store subscription in April.  I didn't realize until I read your note last week that there are "starter" level stores available on .com for $4.95/month.  I'd rather do this on .ca if such "starter" stores are available, but I understand there's no specific ETA at this point.  So my questions are:

1)  Can I, as a Canadian seller, sign up for one of these on .com?  

2)  Do I need to close my .ca subscription first, or is there a way to transfer my subscription to .com on a lower level? 

3)  Will the fees on this store level be lower on .ca once it's available? 

4)   Will I retain my current FB score and other seller attributes (such as "longtime member", perfect defect record, seller status, etc.) if I do sign up for a .com "mini-store"?  Or will I look as if I'm a newbie on .com, starting all over again?   If so, I'd rather keep my seller record and just list occasionally without a store. 

5) If I sign up for one of these "starter" stores on .com, will I still be paying Canadian HST/GST on my fees?  Since I live in NS, with the highest rate (15%), the change to the addition of HST has been killing me.  Together with eBay's 25% hike in fees 2 years ago, my monthly fees have essentially doubled.  

6)  Lastly -- is the $4.95 fee on .com for monthly, or yearly subscription?  If yearly, do you know what the month-to-month charge is?  

Thank you for your help! 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Tyler, and thanks for being here. 

May I ask some follow-ups to my questions last week?  I am going to be closing my yearly (.ca) store subscription in April.  I didn't realize until I read your note last week that there are "starter" level stores available on .com for $4.95/month.  I'd rather do this on .ca if such "starter" stores are available, but I understand there's no specific ETA at this point.  So my questions are:

1)  Can I, as a Canadian seller, sign up for one of these on .com?  

2)  Do I need to close my .ca subscription first, or is there a way to transfer my subscription to .com on a lower level? 

3)  Will the fees on this store level be lower on .ca once it's available? 

4)   Will I retain my current FB score and other seller attributes (such as "longtime member", perfect defect record, seller status, etc.) if I do sign up for a .com "mini-store"?  Or will I look as if I'm a newbie on .com, starting all over again?   If so, I'd rather keep my seller record and just list occasionally without a store. 

5) If I sign up for one of these "starter" stores on .com, will I still be paying Canadian HST/GST on my fees?  Since I live in NS, with the highest rate (15%), the change to the addition of HST has been killing me.  Together with eBay's 25% hike in fees 2 years ago, my monthly fees have essentially doubled.  

6)  Lastly -- is the $4.95 fee on .com for monthly, or yearly subscription?  If yearly, do you know what the month-to-month charge is?  

Thank you for your help! 

Hi @rose-dee! Happy to help with this, for sure. Answers in kind:

1. My understanding of this is yes, you can. However, there is a slight possibility that there could be a gremlin or two in the code when getting things set up, so if this is something you decide to do let me know (send me a private message) and we'll work through it together. 

2. You don't have to, but personally I think it makes more sense to do so - it saves you money instead of paying for an overlap time period, where you have a store on .ca and a store on .com. There is not a way to transfer your subscription (because you would be moving from an eBay.CA subscription to an eBay.COM subscription)

3. I wouldn't be able to give you any specifics on the way this will look until it's actually announced (usually because the specifics haven't been decided yet). 

4. Yes - you wouldn't be changing anything about your account other than the fact that you are opening a subscription on the eBay.com version of your existing account. No FB number change, your user id stays the same, you even log in with your same password. 🙂

5. Billing is based on your registered site and address - so I don't believe this would change. 

6. The US4.95 is for a yearly agreement. If you went the month-to-month plan it would be  US7.95.

Also - I've been doing some reading on the Starter store and it does have some differences from the store experience you're used to:

• The Final Value Fee for Starter stores is a flat 10% on most categories, up to 12% in others. Screencap below and more details here
  • The Starter store does not qualify for any shipping supply coupons (not a big loss here - I know most folks are swimming in supplies at this point)
  • The Starter Store does not qualify for a free Terapeak subscription (not sure if you were using this before)
  • The Starter store comes with 100 listing insertion credits per month - they can be used on Fixed Price or Auction style listings
  • Additional listings above that are 30c (USD)
  • Starter stores do not qualify for an insertion fee credit for a successful auction-style listing, so if you list auctions above your 100 and they end in a sale you would still pay the insertion fee
  • You would need to list your items directly on eBay.com in order for them to make use of the subscription. This would mean you'd need to consider ending any listing made on eBay.ca and listing them from scratch on .com directly. 

I don't want to discourage you, but I would rather you have all the information available so you can make an informed choice for your business. 🙂

Starter Store FVF.JPG

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

As always, thanks for opening up the this discussion.

1. Are there any plans of revising the current country arrangement choices in a listing?  It appears the choices may have been applied based on pre-wall coming down. Possible suggestions would be W. Europe, E Europe, S Europe, separating N and S America, add  Central America.  These slight modifications would then better line up with a sellers settings and then be able to provide correct  and accurate shipping to more countries of their choice. Attached graphic for levity purposes only.

Image result for world map continents

2. Is it possible to send a buyer a revised offer after sending the first counter offer? A seller always hopes a counter offer is a reasonable alternative to an opening offer. Sending emails to buyers seems to have limited response when trying to determine a buyers plans. Wasn't sure if I was missing something in this process.

3. Lastly, sorry to have to bring this up but one of the biggest concerns regarding the GTC change besides a sellers scheduling is the potential for added unexpected fees which is not noted in any way, shape or form in the related announcements. The best analogy I can come up with it would be like someone coming into your house once a month and helping themselves to your wallet. Only other suggestion I can come up with is make all other additional listings the flat 10 cents. Until there are actual intermediate store sizes available (which shouldn't be that difficult to offer), this is going to be a major frustration every month for all sellers affected.

Thanks,

-Lotz

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

As always, thanks for opening up the this discussion.

1. Are there any plans of revising the current country arrangement choices in a listing?  It appears the choices may have been applied based on pre-wall coming down. Possible suggestions would be W. Europe, E Europe, S Europe, separating N and S America, add  Central America.  These slight modifications would then better line up with a sellers settings and then be able to provide correct  and accurate shipping to more countries of their choice. Attached graphic for levity purposes only.

Image result for world map continents

2. Is it possible to send a buyer a revised offer after sending the first counter offer? A seller always hopes a counter offer is a reasonable alternative to an opening offer. Sending emails to buyers seems to have limited response when trying to determine a buyers plans. Wasn't sure if I was missing something in this process.

3. Lastly, sorry to have to bring this up but one of the biggest concerns regarding the GTC change besides a sellers scheduling is the potential for added unexpected fees which is not noted in any way, shape or form in the related announcements. The best analogy I can come up with it would be like someone coming into your house once a month and helping themselves to your wallet. Only other suggestion I can come up with is make all other additional listings the flat 10 cents. Until there are actual intermediate store sizes available (which shouldn't be that difficult to offer), this is going to be a major frustration every month for all sellers affected.

Thanks,

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies!

1. There are no plans that I'm aware of to alter the current country arrangement. 

2. You can only send one counteroffer, which a buyer can accept, decline or allow to time out. I think that an email is the best course of action to check-in with a potential buyer. With the roll-out of proactive offers to watchers you'll be able to cast a broader net too. 

3. Thanks for sharing your feedback on this. This is a concern that the right people are aware of and are working on a solution for. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@mark10942 wrote:

like my case,what i can do?or nothing i can do! resend is not recommend?i know China to Canada is long way,so i understand and willing to wait,But can`t be an excuse to rely on it.they are just playing tricks on the rule.thank you for your help 

Hi @mark10942 - I recommend contacting the seller if you have not received the item. If you have not received it by 1 day after the estimated delivery date I strongly suggest opening an Item not Received request with us. That will hold the seller accountable to prove the item has been delivered to you. If they are not able to do so you can ask us to step in and help get you your money back. You can always reach out to customer support by phone or social media (Twitter or Facebook) and they'll be happy to have a look and get you your best options. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 8
latest reply