May 24 2022 Weekly Session

Hey guys! 

Opening up the chat and we'll begin working on answers between now and tomorrow morning. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I ask this every few months, last time was still with Tyler - any progress on associating Canada post solutions for small business account with eBay labels? I’d use eBay labels if we got credit towards discount with Canada post.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

It's always great to bring it up for sure @ericsells75 right now I don't have an answer for you but I'm happy to pass along the feedback for sure! 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Hello Jasmen,

The Q & A regarding tax information has become a jumbled mess. Asking here.

When the new collection of taxes kicks in July it will be July and going forward. Will eBay be issueing detailed tax information to sellers on a monthly or quarterly basis or will it be done yearly(End of year?). I know there are some sellers that remit to CRA on different schedules. Lastly will the tax collection for sellers that were UNDER the 30,000 threshhold and NEVER collected in the past be required to remit to CRA for sales from Jan to June. Guessing sellers who did submit would be on 1 system for first half of year and eBay's "system" for the second half of the year. Difficult to have a totally clean rollout of something when it is implemented in the middle of a year. Especially when it comes to anything tax related.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

"Lastly will the tax collection for sellers that were UNDER the 30,000 threshhold and NEVER collected in the past be required to remit to CRA for sales from Jan to June."

A seller under the 30,000 threshold and without a gst/business number shouldn't have to remit anything regarding the gsp from Jan-June or after that.  I haven't seen anything  that suggests that it wil be required for sellers not collecting gst to have to submit that info.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

My understanding is for smaller sellers who don't collect/remit eBay is doing it all on our behalf much the same way as they do when they charge tax to US buyers. Not sure if this will copy correctly but it was in one of the emails from eBay beginning of the month:

With this change in sales tax collection responsibilities, eBay aims to alleviate our sellers of the administrative burden to accurately charge and collect sales taxes on taxable sales made through the platform. eBay is taking over this responsibility for all sellers – not just those that are not registered – in an effort to simplify the experience for our community. Any questions or concerns about tax collection will be handled by eBay Customer Service.

But please correct me if I'm wrong! (Wouldn't be the first time!)

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hey there @lotzofuniquegoodies the tax team is working on getting all the tax questions answered in this thread here. I reached out to get clearification on your question but I still have not heard back. I would advise posting your question in that thread so they can get to it ASAP! 

Also, @pjcdn2005@msau4301 you guys will also want to post any tax related questions there too! 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Closing this weeks chat, thanks! 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Jasmen,

The Q & A regarding tax information has become a jumbled mess. Asking here.

When the new collection of taxes kicks in July it will be July and going forward. Will eBay be issueing detailed tax information to sellers on a monthly or quarterly basis or will it be done yearly(End of year?). I know there are some sellers that remit to CRA on different schedules. Lastly will the tax collection for sellers that were UNDER the 30,000 threshhold and NEVER collected in the past be required to remit to CRA for sales from Jan to June. Guessing sellers who did submit would be on 1 system for first half of year and eBay's "system" for the second half of the year. Difficult to have a totally clean rollout of something when it is implemented in the middle of a year. Especially when it comes to anything tax related.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! The tax team said:

Detailed seller reporting information will be provided monthly indicating the eBay collected tax. This will indicate the Federal and Provincial taxes collected from buyers on your sales – and the tax that will be remitted by eBay Canada Limited directly to the appropriate taxing authorities. There are no new requirements for sellers who were not previously required to collect and remit. For those sellers who were required to be registered and collecting, this does represent a mid-year change. However, the administrative burden will be eBay’s beginning on July 1, 2022.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply