November 27 2019 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat for your questions. I'll be around tomorrow afternoon to begin working on answers for you. 

Thanks!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hello Tyler,

eBay had removed my original post.  Here it is again in edited form.......................
I had written to PayPal Customer Service about this tax issue. 
I got this reply from CS after the first reply did not address the issue. 

Anyone think we should be concerned? 
My reply to their first response is below.
I have written to them again. 
This is what PayPal’s CS said....................................

11/22/19 at 2:55 p.m.

Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support.

I understand your concern regarding the additional charge of $2.06 USD charged on your purchase.

On reviewing your account, this charge is nothing but the Partner Commission charge charged by eBay for using its platform for this purchase. Its been charged on the payment received from the customer end for the purchase made through eBay. Its not tax of any state or illegal fee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The above is the PayPal CS reply to my concern as shown below.                                                     This is what I had said to PayPal (edited)............................
Here’s what is on my account

Transaction ID5123456 Purchase details
COLEMAN SHADE HOLDER for GLASS SHADE 3 Prong for Quick-Lite Lamp Lantern (#1)

Item #123956177525                       $19.99                                                             
Shipping                                             $9.50
Tax                                                        $2.06

Purchase total                                   $31.55
------------------------------------------------------
Fee                                                           - $1.47
Tax collected by eBay                       - $2.06

Total                                                          $28.02

There is an UNAUTHORIZED tax charge and withdrawal on my account. 

I am in Canada.  I am not registered with the state of Nebraska to collect taxes for them. 
I do not have a Nebraska tax number . 
It is illegal for me to collect taxes or to even appear to collect a tax from anyone for any state or province. 

I DID NOT AUTHORIZE A THIRD PARTY TO USE MY ACCOUNT TO ADD IN A TAX AND THEN TO WITHDRAW THAT AMOUNT. 

My accountant will be questioning my illegal activity of appearing to collect a tax from a buyer when I am not registered and do not have a tax number to do so.

How can PayPal breach my Privacy by allowing a third party to use my account for their own purposes and then have me pay fees on that amount - the $2.06 tax?   Why has PayPal allowed a third party to waltz in and use MY PERSONAL PRIVATE PAYPAL ACCOUNT and expect me to pay fees on money it is ILLEGAL for me to have in my account???
THIS IS NOT  LEGAL.  PayPal is breaching our USER AGREEMENT.   My PayPal account is presently not secure when someone else is allowed to come in and use it for deposits and withdrawals. 

In future I do not want to see any such tampering with funds in my Personal, Private PayPal Account.    The only authorization that I have consented to is for PayPal fees to be legally withdrawn from my account.

My bank in Canada (The Royal Bank of Canada) will not ever let anyone just come in and use my bank account for deposits and withdrawals.  The same must apply to PayPal. 
Thanks.

Tyler:
Please explain this PARTNER COMMISSION CHARGE, as stated by PayPal Customer Service, that is being passed through my PayPal account by a third party (eBay).
Thanks.
gwrocen
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Wondering about the status of the "Sell to Buy" promotion. Will coupons be available soon? How will they be provided, by e-mail or in the Seller Hub Summary page?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@renata6 wrote:

Wondering about the status of the "Sell to Buy" promotion. Will coupons be available soon? How will they be provided, by e-mail or in the Seller Hub Summary page?

Hi @renata6 - coupons for the Sell to Buy promotion will be issued by the 1st of December and you'll receive it via your direct email or within your eBay Message Center. Hoping it's a good coupon for you! 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

Tyler:
Please explain this PARTNER COMMISSION CHARGE, as stated by PayPal Customer Service, that is being passed through my PayPal account by a third party (eBay).
Thanks.
gwrocen

Hi @gwrocen - I don't know how PayPal is differentiating or labeling it within their system, but from what you've described it sounds as though that would be the sales tax amount being remitted back to eBay for distribution to the appropriate US state. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:

On reviewing your account, this charge is nothing but the Partner Commission charge charged by eBay for using its platform for this purchase. Its been charged on the payment received from the customer end for the purchase made through eBay. Its not tax of any state or illegal fee.

Tyler:
Thanks.
gwrocen

Hi @gwrocen - I don't know how PayPal is differentiating or labeling it within their system, but from what you've described it sounds as though that would be the sales tax amount being remitted back to eBay for distribution to the appropriate US state. Thanks!

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for your reply but it still does not explain to me  why PayPal is clearly saying this is an "eBay charge for using their platform" and they also clearly say it is "not a tax of any state or illegal fee".

This is confusing.  PayPal says one thing and eBay says something else.

And if it is the tax as you suggest, why am I stuck with the PayPal commission on money that I have no right to have passing through my account and is not money coming to me?

Does eBay not get a commission from each state for taxes that it remits to them?

When we had our business and collected PST and remitted provincial sales taxes to the gov't  we deducted a certain percentage as a commission for doing the paperwork.  I am sure that the same arrangement would apply for the states.

Thanks.

gwrocen

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:

Tyler:
Thanks.
gwrocen

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for your reply but it still does not explain to me  why PayPal is clearly saying this is an "eBay charge for using their platform" and they also clearly say it is "not a tax of any state or illegal fee".

This is confusing.  PayPal says one thing and eBay says something else.

And if it is the tax as you suggest, why am I stuck with the PayPal commission on money that I have no right to have passing through my account and is not money coming to me?

Does eBay not get a commission from each state for taxes that it remits to them?

When we had our business and collected PST and remitted provincial sales taxes to the gov't  we deducted a certain percentage as a commission for doing the paperwork.  I am sure that the same arrangement would apply for the states.

Thanks.

gwrocen

Hi @gwrocen - I am not able to speak to PayPal's practices, terminology or the accuracy of their customer support. I'd encourage you to work with them directly if you have concerns along those lines. 

I also am not able to speak to PayPal's charging of fees on the gross amount you receive on the transactions to US states that charge sales tax, other than to say it's my understanding that you would pay fees on the gross amount you receive. 

I don't have information on any commissions that are or are not being received by eBay from marketplace facilitator states I'm afraid.  Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's currently closed, but I'll be around the boards today and Friday!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 8
latest reply