No tracking number member did not recieve item

tinsils
Community Member

Have a bit of a problem.  I sold a member an item, they paid by pay pal, and I shipped it immediately. They still have not received item.    There was no tracking number, because the price of item was low, so no number available. What do I do?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

They still have not received item. 

How long is 'still'?

EBay accepts the postal system's wildly optimistic delivery times.

Encourage your buyer to allow a full 20 days for delivery in North America.

Overseas, if you used Air Mail shipping, ask that he allows 30 days for delivery.

If you used Surface Shipping for overseas, just refund right now, apologize and ask that the buyer return the refund when the item arrives a couple of months from now. He can do this by using Paypal's Send Money service. Tell him how, it will encourage him.

And never never use Surface Shipping again internationally. If the buyer can't afford Air Mail, he can't afford to buy. Some sales are not worth having.

Your items are pricey enough that tracking is probably worthwhile in most cases. (I wouldn't have bothered on the $10 Avon jewellry, but that's your choice)  and most of the items you have sold are bulky enough that shipping is probably a tracked service anyway.

Certainly, give your buyer the shipping label barcode number, whether it is a tracking number or not. It will sooth nervous but honest buyers and discourage dishonest ones.

But also consider Cookie Jar Insurance. This is just adding a small amount ( less than a quarter) to every asking price as an insurance premium against the rare loss claim. If you get a claim, you pay out from all those virtual quarters and dimes you tossed into the Virtual Cookie Jar.

You could also look into third party insurance (not postal). I understand that shipinsurance will give you one-off coverage against loss or damage in transit for a reasonable sum. Many eBay sellers use them.

mcrlmn
Community Member

If the item was not received after the estimated date, blanket eBay policy dictates you pay the full purchase amount back to the buyer. That includes shipping and handling cost they paid you.

If you have proof of delivery you can dispute.

Great eh?

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts