Shipping jewelry over $200. To USA

Single item - necklace

What method do you use? Canada Post? UPS?

Padded envelope or small box?

Do you buy insurance and if so who do you use?

Does customer have to pay duty on vintage jewelry over $200?

Do you put the word jewelry on shipping label?

Thanks for all of you that are so kind to help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

You may find it useful to add an HScode for customs

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

The basic number for jewelry seems to be 7113, but there will be extensions for more detail (costume or fine/ gold/ silver/ gems/ origin).

You can say "necklace" on the label and then use the code to specify it is solid gold and set in diamonds and rubies- without using words.  Anonymity.

Although you are required  by eBay to use Signature Confirmation only when the value is over $650 including shipping, you may want to use it for your own peace of mind. It is worth mentioning this to your buyer , playing it as being for HER security. She may have to pick it up at the post office which baffles some Americans.

Mark the parcel Hold For Pickup in any case- that tells the carrier not to leave it unmonitored propped up against the front door -- or worse, in one of those flagged mailboxes half a mile from the house.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

I ship a lot of vintage jewelry to the US. Any items over $100.00 I send by Canada Post Expedited. That covers $100.00 in insurance & then you can buy extra insurance for the additional amount. All my jewelry is put in gift boxes & then padded envelope. You can print up your labels through Shippo or PayPal. You have to fill out the custom form & I usually put Costume or Vintage Jewelry. You can specify Vintage Ladies Necklace if you want. I think the US doesn't have to pay duty up to $800.00. Hope that helps.

I just buy extra coverage through Canada Post. It is usually only a few dollars more for each extra $100.00 you add.

You don't need a signature for seller protection unless the items plus shipping total $750 or $850.  For that you would need to send the package xpresspost USA. 

As the other poster mentioned, US buyers do not have to pay duty for items under $800.

I haven't sold jewelry in a while but I would fashion accessory in the description but use the correct HS code to describe it.

If you use Shippo any extra insurance is with a third party insurance company whch is usually less expensive than Canada Post insurance.  On Paypal extra insurance is from Canada Post unless that has recently changed.

And for $200 definitely a box! This is part of your sales pitch, telling the customer that she has bought something special.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts