Why is international parcel surface not showing up in the shipping options for pay pal?

I am trying to send a parcel to the phillipines.  We checked Canada Post and one of the options was international parcel surface.  We sent the invoice to the customer.  Now when I try to print the shipping label only international shipping for items under 1kg come up.  What must I do to get the international parcel surface in the shipping options?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Why is international parcel surface not showing up in the shipping options for pay pal?

Shipping overseas by Surface is a really really bad idea.

Your customer expects to receive the parcel within 45 days of purchase. Surface takes 60 to 90 days.

So on Day 40 your customer will open an Item Not Received dispute and get all his money back. You will not be able to prove delivery, because it will still be somewhere on the Pacific. And then the parcel will arrive a few weeks later.

If he is honest, he might find you are reimburse the refund.

If he asked for the cheaper Surface rate, he planned to scam you and you will never see the item or the money again.

My niece tells me that her parcels home get there in about two weeks by Air Mail. And her family do not live in Manila but on some tiny island.

Don't even think about using Surface.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hello 'onlywindowdressing',

Have you used Surface Mail before?  You knew, of course, that a Surface Mail parcel to

the Philippines will take at least 2 months to arrive and that you will lose all your seller protection?

That means when the buyer grows impatient and files for an Item Not Received, the buyer will

get refunded and be able to keep the item and the money?

I don't mean to clobber you around the head with it, but Surface Mail is simply not for everyone.

You must be willing to take the risk, or be very confident in your buyer. 

Just yesterday I received a parcel from the UK that was mailed May 22.  I don't mind Surface

parcels because I am always willing to wait for my items to show up.  But that's 66 days

in the postal system.  Last month I received a Surface parcel that was only 52 days coming.

I am currently waiting on a third.

But very few people are willing to wait that long, -- it's just too easy to file a paypal claim, and with

paypal, "proof of shipment" is not good enough.  You need proof of delivery to win a 'not received'

claim.

Only ship Surface if you are very sure about your buyer, or are willing to risk losing the lot.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I am currently looking into this problem too.
Anyone who replies "don't even think about using surface" are in error.

I have used surface effectively for every customer that asks for it ( I have options)

and have not had one problem in 10 years.

So because 5 packages have been lost by AIRMAIL - am I just supposed to tell

people a blanket statement based on that? You don't answer the persons first question so

why bother replying at all?

I have to take my parcel to the post office to do this, but I hope in the future Paypal

offers a solution online as I cannot find one right now.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

One option if you are close to the border to the USA and Canada and have the means to cross the border into the USA to the closest post office
you have 3 great choices for items that are similar to   International Parcel Surface options.

The USA pricing is almost exact to Canada but it's the shipping time that differs dramatically.

The slowest service and cheapest in US is "priority mail international" takes 6-10 business days.
This would be 4-6 weeks in canada and cost $120 for my 12kg package, USA  price is $105.00
so with exchange , the same price roughly.

Obviously it makes no sense to drive over the border if the gas and time take away any savings.
I have a family member who goes over the border every week so they help me out when
I have certain packages to ship.

Good luck .

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I have been experiencing the same thing and would really like to get an answer (not reasons why NOT to use International Surface Mail)

I have many ebay customers world wide who prefer to use International Surface Mail to save money.

So, back to the original question:

Does anyone know why when creating a PayPal shipping label for an overseas shipment, is there only "Small Packet" options????

This makes no sense to me, since there are Surface Mail options on the Canada Post website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 🐵

Message 6 of 6
latest reply